Newest abandoned roads?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Unbreakify

Newest abandoned roads?

Post by Unbreakify »

By newest, im talking like 1990-present day.
Just wondering. Im very bored and i like to find out new things.

Edit: It doesnt have to be abandoned, it could be previous A-roads downgraded to be roads, same with motorways. Like the old A9 & A951.

Edit 2: Due to some people getting confused, i would like to rephrase the above:
Any abandoned road will do! Though i do reccomend new ones from the 1980 - 2021 / present phase. If its a road, fallen into disuse, that qualfies! If its a road thats been dug up, that qualfies! If its a road thats been realigned, it counts! Hope this clears up the confusion.
Last edited by Unbreakify on Tue Dec 07, 2021 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
solocle

Re: Newest abandoned roads?

Post by solocle »

The A74 Cumberland Gap jumped to mind, being completed in 2008. I don't know if the service road is in any way the old A74, though, or just a new build.
86573799-73C3-4747-98FA-D716EA38BE93.jpeg
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Newest abandoned roads?

Post by Steven »

Not so much an abandoned road, more one that was in existence for only a couple of years due to a major error in timing. I dread to think how much this cost.

The Keyway
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: The Keyway :

The Keyway is a completed road scheme along A454 on the east side of Wolverhampton, forming the western side of the second and third bypasses of Willenhall.

The original plan for The Keyway was as the Willenhall