Old A9

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Unbreakify

Old A9

Post by Unbreakify »

I decided to make a thread about the Old A9 that runs through scotland. I'd love to see some photos before the A9 was bypassed, or even development photos when it was being built!

Hey! i was looking at a photo sphere on the old A9 when i saw this, can anyone explain why there are still cats eyes? For everyones information, this part of the A9 is totally cut off. It doesnt serve traffic as it dead ends.
Attachments
39.png
Truvelo

Re: Old A9

Post by Truvelo »

When roads are bypassed or abandoned they are often left as is, possibly due to cost so things like cats eyes are just left there. It's probably not worth the time and effort to dig out cats eyes and lay new asphalt.
Attachments
a518.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 14:03 When roads are bypassed or abandoned they are often left as is, possibly due to cost so things like cats eyes are just left there. It's probably not worth the time and effort to dig out cats eyes and lay new asphalt.
True, but for an abandoned road, its markings look very new.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

This https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3326098 ... 312!8i6656 old section of the A49 still has them although you can't pick them up on GSV. The section was bypassed when jct 10 of the M56 was built in the mid 70's so they're quite old.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

The northbound entrance drive into Ralia Rest Area is the original A9, feels incredibly narrow for an S2.
Lifelong motorhead
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

My favourite spot for old catseyes is the former A47 near Wardley. I walked the length of the abandoned section and took a bunch of photos 20 years ago and managed to recover a metal shoe the catseyes sit in. I haven't been back since but providing it hasn't been touched and nature hasn't overgrown it I suspect they are still there.
Attachments
a47.jpg
a47a.jpg
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Unbreakify wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 14:07
Truvelo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 14:03 When roads are bypassed or abandoned they are often left as is, possibly due to cost so things like cats eyes are just left there. It's probably not worth the time and effort to dig out cats eyes and lay new asphalt.
True, but for an abandoned road, its markings look very new.
It's amazing how long markings last when there isn't any traffic to wear them away...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

c2R wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 15:26 It's amazing how long markings last when there isn't any traffic to wear them away...
That's true. There are many roads that were bypassed 40 years ago where the markings, and catseyes, are still there. It seems the constant stream of traffic erodes markings far quicker than nature.
Big and complex.
Burns

Post by Burns »

If you're interested in the A9 and its history, join the SABRE Facebook group.

#A9posting
solocle

Post by solocle »

Old A82, Loch Lomond
36603BE0-2AAF-46B1-95BC-8D1F5C7ACC1C.jpeg
DJMS

Post by DJMS »

I came across a section of the old A9 at Drummochter a few years ago now when I was doing a walk on the eastern Drummochter Munros. I decided to make it a circular walk and follow the A9 back to the car using the cycle path. It was quite a surprise when the path widened out and suddenly I was walking along the old road for a few hundred metres. It suddenly ended and returned to a narrower cycle path at a point where I assume the new alignment was built on top of the old road. Here are a couple of pictures I took from that walk along the old road.

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

There is the old A15 at RAF Scampton which was cut off when the runway was extended in the late 1950's to accommodate the V Bombers.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.31736 ... 6656?hl=en
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126029278 ... ed-public/

Part of the old A93 at West Lodge Crathes, east of Banchory. Bypassed exactly 40 years ago as part of a straightening exercise. Been in use by the Deeside Railway since 1999 for the storage of track panels.
I haven’t been on it for over a decade, but although there were surviving markings, I think all cats eyes had been removed.

Murray Duncan
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Not quite like the others but the remains of what was once a notorious hairpin bend on the A9 a few miles south of Inverness.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dav ... d-4.137949
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

I remember the old A9 between Slochd and Slochd Summit had the markings repainted around 15 – 20 years ago as it was being used as a filming location for Monarch of the Glen. Is this the section the OP posted a pic of?

If I’ve time to spare, I sometimes try and follow as much of the old A9 as possible going back up the road. The 40 miles between Ralia and Daviot are still mostly intact apart from short sections at Slochd and Tomatin. Another 15 miles between Pitlochry and Calvine can be done and gives great views of the Killiecrankie Viaduct at this time of year with the trees bare. On the long straight just north of Calvine, turn left at Clunes Lodge and you can follow the old road for about 3 miles to Dalnamein which certainly gives you that old A9 nostalgia experience.
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

A9Craig wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 18:12 I remember the old A9 between Slochd and Slochd Summit had the markings repainted around 15 – 20 years ago as it was being used as a filming location for Monarch of the Glen. Is this the section the OP posted a pic of?

If I’ve time to spare, I sometimes try and follow as much of the old A9 as possible going back up the road. The 40 miles between Ralia and Daviot are still mostly intact apart from short sections at Slochd and Tomatin. Another 15 miles between Pitlochry and Calvine can be done and gives great views of the Killiecrankie Viaduct at this time of year with the trees bare. On the long straight just north of Calvine, turn left at Clunes Lodge and you can follow the old road for about 3 miles to Dalnamein which certainly gives you that old A9 nostalgia experience.
Yes. this is a photo of the Slochd Summit road from the A9. That would probably explain why the road markings are in such top-notch condition.
andypins

Post by andypins »

A9Craig wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 18:12 I remember the old A9 between Slochd and Slochd Summit had the markings repainted around 15 – 20 years ago as it was being used as a filming location for Monarch of the Glen. Is this the section the OP posted a pic of?

When Tomatin to Moy is Dualled and a link road is created parallel Tomatin to Ruthven but Moy really , it would be possible to almost completely do that.
andypins

Post by andypins »

Unbreakify wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 13:45 I decided to make a thread about the Old A9 that runs through scotland. I'd love to see some photos before the A9 was bypassed, or even development photos when it was being built!

Hey! i was looking at a photo sphere on the old A9 when i saw this, can anyone explain why there are still cats eyes? For everyones information, this part of the A9 is totally cut off. It doesnt serve traffic as it dead ends.
I do have some photos of a stretch between Daviot and Bogbain but despite looking at Faqs I can't work out how to easily post a photo- any advice?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

andypins wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 17:45
Unbreakify wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 13:45 I decided to make a thread about the Old A9 that runs through scotland. I'd love to see some photos before the A9 was bypassed, or even development photos when it was being built!

I do have some photos of a stretch between Daviot and Bogbain but despite looking at Faqs I can't work out how to easily post a photo- any advice?
If the scan is under 800x600 you can just drag and drop it on your post and it will be appended, to check it worked hit preview.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I first drove up the A9 in late summer/early autumn in 1978 before the Kessock Bridge was open so while there lots of new nice new bypasses now the main difference was that when we hit Inverness we turned left and drove along what is now the A862 before heading north through Beauly , Muir of Ord and Dingwall.

There was an even longer diversion at the Dornoch Firth so Dornoch was where we ended up staying and dropping the caravan contenting ourselves with a day trip to John O' Groats. The oddest thing about the trip was 2 weeks of glorious sunshine and no midges.