Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Fenlander

Re: Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

Post by Fenlander »

CallumParry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 18:49
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 The M62 either side of the Pennines is absolutely boring and tedious to drive. Even the rollercoaster effect of where Chat Moss is slowly reclaiming the motorway can't save it.

I refer you to Chris Marshall's theory that all motorways are built with an excitement quota and this gets used up quickly leaving boring to death segments.

It's the only way you can explain the M4 which has superb bits geekwise linked by sections so tediously dull you die of old age before reaching the next bit.
Chat Moss reclaiming the motorway , by my retirement it might give the A68 North of Hexham a run for it's money with it's undulations :)
[url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.75954 ... 384!8i8192]A bit of 10 year old newbuild A16 clearly shows you where the rivers used to run, they're resurfacing bits of it (again) but only the top layer so instead of flattening the bumps you get shiny new ones instead.
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

The long uninterrupted section of M2 between J5 and J6 is incredibly dull, but maybe because it's often elephant racing with no junctions (or that I used to drive it several times a week)
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

I agree with Pathetic Motorways and have I Got News For You!

It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on straight and flat through a featureless landscape. There's nothing to see apart from a large car park and some ditches. Even when you get to the end it just carries on. At least you get there quickly, it's the only motorway you could get a speeding fine in the inside lane in the rush hour.
unrepentantfool

Post by unrepentantfool »

Big L wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 22:03
unrepentantfool wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 16:21
Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:32 M69. All of it!!

There are also sections of the M5 which are pretty nondescript such as between Clevedon and Weston and the M50 up to Bromsgrove.

I'd also concur with call of the A1(M) though...
The M50 round Bromsgrove?! I like this alternate reality where the M50 continues as a M5 relief road to the M42 (not quite the Strensham to Solihull motorway though).
The section of M5 from the M50 to Bromsgrove, maybe?
I deduced that, was just being difficult!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Hard to argue with the M180 however it uses all of it's 'excitement quota' at the Trent bridge then thats it. I suppose it does have that over the likes of the M57/58 etc.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

It'd relieve the monotony of the M180 if someone was to construct a work of art near Scunthorpe commemorating the town - something to do with steel. I can't think of anything else Scunthorpe is famous for.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

stu531 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 19:56 It'd relieve the monotony of the M180 if someone was to construct a work of art near Scunthorpe commemorating the town - something to do with steel. I can't think of anything else Scunthorpe is famous for.
It's name causing problems with certain anti-swearing filters, perhaps?
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

There is something to be said for any bit of UK road and the UK being the size it is, the boring bits don't tend to go on for too long. Yes some of the least interting bits are where there are long gaps between junctions, or flat countryside or motorway in a cutting. So bits of the M40, A1(M), M11 and yes in particular the M180. As long as you are at least moving. Boring countryside I can put up with at 70 mph. Being stuck is another matter and the M25 in Essex has not been my friend over the last few years and I've documented much displeasure at spending hours looking at a cuttings either side of J28. I never really want to repeat those experiences.

Anything we have in the boring stakes is outdone by some roads overseas. I've been on some really boring bits of motorway in France (The A26 can be a very long drag through flat countryside), Belgium and in Florida in particular. I've mentioned US27 through the bottom half of Florida before and this for mile after mile can certainly drag. There must be much in the midwest that is even longer and I'm sure some of our correspondents have done cross country in the US on some truly tedious roads.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:37
Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 16:42 M6 jct 20 Lymm to Junction 16 at the A500 is always very boring. Long and straight sections with no real landmarks or bridges. Although in comparison that stretch is only short so perhaps more bearable.
That section of the M6 has to be one of the most boring sections.
In the past it used to be described as "a traffic jam moving at 80mph".
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Rambo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 19:45 Hard to argue with the M180 however it uses all of it's 'excitement quota' at the Trent bridge then thats it.
And that's dull compared to the impressive Ouse Bridge on the M62.