Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

Post by Glenn A »

I would rate the M62 from Leeds to its terminus near Hull as the least scenic and boring motorways in Britain. It's not so much an ugly environment, like the Aston Expressway in Birmingham, just completely featureless, flat countryside to drive through with nothing to look at. Probably just as dreary is the M18 from Donny to the M180, very dull, but with less traffic.
TomJ

Re: Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

Post by TomJ »

At least the Ouse Bridge livens things up a little. M11 gets my vote. Mostly in a cutting, so you can't even see what's around it.

Does it have to be motorways? A17 gets my vote for most boring scenery overall. I spy with my little eye... Oh, it's another field of cabbages.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The A17 is certainly boring. It's one of those roads that seems like it goes on and on forever.

I woud also agree with this end of the M62 apart from that in years gone by you would spot all of the coal fired power stations and try to remember which ones are which.

M6 jct 20 Lymm to Junction 16 at the A500 is always very boring. Long and straight sections with no real landmarks or bridges. Although in comparison that stretch is only short so perhaps more bearable.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

I have found the A1(M) from Wetherby to about Catterick rather dull, largely straight with little to see as the Moors and Dales are too far away. Not helped by the fact that, when I've driven it, I have been heading for the Newcastle area, so I have already travelled quite a long way but I've still got a fair way to go.
Last edited by trickstat on Sun Jan 02, 2022 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

M69. All of it!!

There are also sections of the M5 which are pretty nondescript such as between Clevedon and Weston and the M50 up to Bromsgrove.

I'd also concur with call of the A1(M) though...
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

The M40 is not exactly a barrel of laughs in fact most motorways are pretty bland. Its exceptions such as the M6 north of Lancaster that are the oddities. When it comes to all purpose roads the A1 between Newcastle and Edinburgh isn't a lot better which is why I prefer the A68.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

trickstat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:19 I have found the A1(M) from Wetherby to about Catterick rather dull, largely straight with little to see as the Moors and Dales are too far away. Not helped by the fact that, when I've driven it, I have been heading for the Newcastle area, so I have already travelled quite a long way but I've still got a fair way to go.
The A1 in West Yorkshire isn't a barrel of laughs either, but used to have the power station chimneys at Drax to marvel at. I think the whole area to the east of Leeds to the Humber is drab, with only the Humber Bridge of any great scenic interest
stu531

Post by stu531 »

I almost felt defensive about my own area and its boring-ness!

The M62 east of Ferrybridge is, granted, not the most exciting motorway by way of scenery. I think the M180 and M11 are worse though - the M180 - in particular - doesn't half drag.

As I tend to jump on the A1 at J46 or J47, either way it doesn't seem as long a distance for someone doing the whole trek from Wetherby to Catterick! However, I don't mind it, and maybe that's because I know the local landmarks along it pretty well. I always prefer to use the A19 when heading north as the view to the east of the North York Moors are great.

I always think our motorways could be better punctuated with signs of local facilities, as they do in France, where pretty much each junction has its own brown sign replete with an illustration of what each town or village is famous for. In this case, the A1 could have some illustrations of Wetherby, Knaresborough, Boroughbridge, Masham, and Northallerton that might just make that stretch a little more interesting. Those places are interesting in themselves, but granted it doesn't make the A1 itself any more inspiring.

The same might be true for the M62 with regards to Selby and Howden. But maybe not much else! Perhaps an upgrade of Glews at J36 to a proper service area might help somewhat.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

I always enjoyed the undulating countryside on the M11 south of J9. That and spotting the water tower past Harlow. And showing off my geeky knowledge about the never-built M12 at Charlie Browns. Other than that it is a bit boring I suppose.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

For me the A1(M) in North Yorkshire is so high quality compared to the cramped D2s in County Durham/South Yorkshire, or the busy M1 between Sheffield and Leeds, that I find its open roads too refreshing to feel that they're dull. There can be nice views to the NYM in particular, though those are more for the passenger. But if I'm driving, I'm too busy enjoying the relativre ease of the road to be bored.

I'd second the M180. Long enough to be properly dull and, unless you're going to either Scunthorpe or Doncaster, it doesn't take you particularly close to your destination so you've got more driving to come.
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

Roads I find dull mainly because I drive them alot
A1(M) Wetherby J47 to Washington J65: it's flat but miles better than if it was a packed/narrow D2AP or D2M (I know many parets through County Durham are D2M)
M1 through Northamptonshire J19 to J11 north of Luton that feels like it's never ending
and.... this may come as a shock but the A19/A168 between Yarm and Dishforth is just dull (because I use it weekly I could probably drive it in my sleep)

I find thats a dull drive can be a combination of many things
- Weather (if it's foggy, dark, raining or just gloomy) then you're not going to see much in the way of interesting things along the route.
- Music, you needs something that keeps you up-beat and awake, a great playlist can make a world of differance.
- Alertness (basically if you're tired or sleepy than any route can be dull)
- Company, if you have passengers it can help
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

My vote goes with the M40. There's a water tower, Prodrives HQ (now surrounded by other tin sheds) and a long run electricity pylons. It only gets less coma inducing after the lane drop and gain before it climbs up and over the Chilterns. You did used to regularly see the USAF F1-11s out of Upper Heyford but not for a long time :yawn:
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Barkstar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 00:01 My vote goes with the M40. There's a water tower, Prodrives HQ (now surrounded by other tin sheds) and a long run electricity pylons. It only gets less coma inducing after the lane drop and gain before it climbs up and over the Chilterns. You did used to regularly see the USAF F1-11s out of Upper Heyford but not for a long time :yawn:
Probably because the last of them were taken out of service in 2000 and replaced with the F-15E :)

When I was using the M40 frequently I would often see RAF Hercules transports which I believe operated out of Brize Norton but they are being replaced by the Airbus A400M Atlas. The M40 has its attractive stretches so I don't really find it boring, The route I dislike most is probably the M4 which seems to drag on forever and have semi-permanent road works. When I lived in North London and was in in no hurry I would often take the A4, A350 and A361 to the M5. Its a stunning scenic route.

When I lived in South Cambridgeshire my normal route to the west country was A14/M6/M42/M5.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

The M180 gets my vote for most boring. There's nothing to see at any point, it just rolls on and on through a flat landscape.

The M11 and M40 I don't find too bad; they're not bristling with incredible sights and jaw-dropping views but they pass through pleasant countryside and have hills and turns to vary the picture as you drive along. They're just long drives through the countryside.

I do think the new A1(M) between Wetherby and Catterick is a contender. The old A1 didn't strike me the same way, but maybe that's just because it was always heavily loaded with traffic and substandard junctions so you had to keep your wits about you. The new motorway is a definite improvement but there's little to see and long gaps between junctions now.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:32 M69. All of it!!
When you drive it twice every day (when I do go to the office) the boredom gets forgotten as you drop into auto-pilot mode.
KeithW wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:43 The M40 is not exactly a barrel of laughs...
Now that's not fair! There are lots of interesting sights from the M40.
Chesterton Windmill
Burton Dassett Beacon
Trow Pool tower
Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve
Stockenchurch Tower

Much more interesting than the lines of tin boxes which seem to align the M1 these days.
Let it snow.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:17
KeithW wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:43 The M40 is not exactly a barrel of laughs...
Chesterton Windmill
Burton Dassett Beacon
Trow Pool tower
Stockenchurch Tower

Much more interesting than the lines of tin boxes which seem to align the M1 these days.
Well most of the things you named are a long way off the motorway, the M1 has gone down hill though, the radio masts at Rugby where a very definite landmark. That said I find Watford Gap interesting as you have the M1, A5, the WCML and the Grand Union Canal following the same 500m corridor.

but north of Sheffield there is a fair bit of interest to list a few.
The Tinsley Viaduct
Meadowhall - not as dramatic as the old steelworks of course :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_dav ... 8810705725
Emley Moor Mast
The Yorkshire Scupture Park is just off J38
Then there is Wooley Edge Services perched on the ridge after the long uphill climb.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 18:53I think the whole area to the east of Leeds to the Humber is drab, with only the Humber Bridge of any great scenic interest
In fairness, you could probably say that about pretty much the whole of eastern England, barring certain stretches of coastline and some of the countryside in the north-east and the south-east!

I'm surprised by people nominating the M40 and the M5. Both motorways pass through pleasant countryside throughout most of their length, and both have some sections that are quite spectacular.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:00
Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:17
Chesterton Windmill
Burton Dassett Beacon
Trow Pool tower
Stockenchurch Tower

Well most of the things you named are a long way off the motorway,
Chesterton Windmill is less than a mile from Warwick services.
Burton Dassett is under half a mile off the main line, but yes a bit further from the nearest junction.
Trow Hill tower is immediately adjacent to the northbound carriageway, and Aston Rowant surrounds the M40 as it passes through the Chilterns escarpement.
And while Stokenchurth Tower is only 300m away, it can be seen for miles and miles away probably near Oxford Services - I guess this is where you get your "long way" from.
the M1 has gone down hill though, the radio masts at Rugby where a very definite landmark. That said I find Watford Gap interesting as you have the M1, A5, the WCML and the Grand Union Canal following the same 500m corridor. but north of Sheffield there is a fair bit of interest to list a few.
Agreed there are a few, but is the Sculpture Park actually visible from the M1?
Last edited by Alderpoint on Mon Jan 03, 2022 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Let it snow.
Herned

Post by Herned »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:03 The route I dislike most is probably the M4 which seems to drag on forever and have semi-permanent road works. 6/M42/M5.
+1 for the M4. The section between Swindon and Reading is unbelievably tedious, with very little to see but trees. I know other motorways are pretty dull but there is at least variety on most other segments. I'm always relieved to see the advance signs for the A4 junction
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:13 The M180 gets my vote for most boring. There's nothing to see at any point, it just rolls on and on through a flat landscape.

The M11 and M40 I don't find too bad; they're not bristling with incredible sights and jaw-dropping views but they pass through pleasant countryside and have hills and turns to vary the picture as you drive along. They're just long drives through the countryside.

I do think the new A1(M) between Wetherby and Catterick is a contender. The old A1 didn't strike me the same way, but maybe that's just because it was always heavily loaded with traffic and substandard junctions so you had to keep your wits about you. The new motorway is a definite improvement but there's little to see and long gaps between junctions now.
I think it has more to see than the M180. M18 and M62 east of Leeds. There's Catterick and Wetherby racecourses, Marne Barracks( the former RAF Catterick), RAF Leeming and Scotch Corner. The old A1 was a pain to drive on.