Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Barkstar

Re: Is the M62 east of Leeds the most boring motorway for scenery?

Post by Barkstar »

I'm basing my nomination of the M40 on it being the dullest I use with any regularity. Not that I can recall most of the others being anything much other than so so. I guess when it comes to views from motorways I'm as spoilt as it gets with the M62 over the Pennines and the M6 beyond Preston being nearby. In the end interesting is the exception and not the rule for most of them.
owen b

Post by owen b »

J16-19 of both the M1 and M6 are the dullest bits of motorway I use with any frequency, but at least they are both D4 now and a lot more free flowing than they used to be.
Owen
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Another vote for the M4 between Reading and Bristol.

The M40 is a nice drive between Denham and Lewknor, after which it becomes pretty dull for the rest of the way. Other than the London end, the M11 isn't an exciting drive either
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Herned wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 13:28
KeithW wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:03 The route I dislike most is probably the M4 which seems to drag on forever and have semi-permanent road works. 6/M42/M5.
+1 for the M4. The section between Swindon and Reading is unbelievably tedious, with very little to see but trees. I know other motorways are pretty dull but there is at least variety on most other segments. I'm always relieved to see the advance signs for the A4 junction
I don't mind that section and I drive it enough. It's J16 to j17 which i find boring as hell.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The M62 either side of the Pennines is absolutely boring and tedious to drive. Even the rollercoaster effect of where Chat Moss is slowly reclaiming the motorway can't save it.

I refer you to Chris Marshall's theory that all motorways are built with an excitement quota and this gets used up quickly leaving boring to death segments.

It's the only way you can explain the M4 which has superb bits geekwise linked by sections so tediously dull you die of old age before reaching the next bit.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 The M62 either side of the Pennines is absolutely boring and tedious to drive. Even the rollercoaster effect of where Chat Moss is slowly reclaiming the motorway can't save it.

I refer you to Chris Marshall's theory that all motorways are built with an excitement quota and this gets used up quickly leaving boring to death segments.

It's the only way you can explain the M4 which has superb bits geekwise linked by sections so tediously dull you die of old age before reaching the next bit.
Chat Moss reclaiming the motorway , by my retirement it might give the A68 North of Hexham a run for it's money with it's undulations :)
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 I refer you to Chris Marshall's theory that all motorways are built with an excitement quota and this gets used up quickly leaving boring to death segments.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the M57, which is just, well, tedious. It's exactly vanilla motorway from beginning to end with virtually nothing of any interest along it.

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned the almost entirely in cutting M54. There is no scenery to be seen along large stretches beyond grass banks. At least the likes of M180 and M62 have things that you can see you're passing, even if it is field boundaries.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 It's the only way you can explain the M4 which has superb bits geekwise linked by sections so tediously dull you die of old age before reaching the next bit.
Well, your namesake Uncle Bryn reckons "it's a cracking motorway, the M4"...😉
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Steven wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 18:59
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 I refer you to Chris Marshall's theory that all motorways are built with an excitement quota and this gets used up quickly leaving boring to death segments.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the M57, which is just, well, tedious. It's exactly vanilla motorway from beginning to end with virtually nothing of any interest along it.

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned the almost entirely in cutting M54. There is no scenery to be seen along large stretches beyond grass banks. At least the likes of M180 and M62 have things that you can see you're passing, even if it is field boundaries.
I don't find the M57 that boring probably because it is quite short, curvy and has several junctions. I'd elavate the M58 above it as being more boring with long stretches of nothing.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Just about the only scenic thing of interest I'm aware of along the M54 is The Wrekin, which westbound in good light conditions is an attractive almost pyramidal shaped hill which seems to reel you in as you approach it.
Owen
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

owen b wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 21:15
Just about the only scenic thing of interest I'm aware of along the M54 is The Wrekin, which westbound in good light conditions is an attractive almost pyramidal shaped hill which seems to reel you in as you approach it.
There's the JLR engine plant at the Wolverhampton end, but as Steven says, far too much of it is in cutting or between earth bunds.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Rambo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:10

I don't find the M57 that boring probably because it is quite short, curvy and has several junctions. I'd elevate the M58 above it as being more boring with long stretches of nothing.
Both of these are tedious, but somehow I ended up doing both in a single journey last September between Bentham and Speke Hall.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The M57's excitement quota consists entirely of it has this rather rude sign to giggle at: https://goo.gl/maps/fQFYxqLH9SNvt471A is that a well endowed man doing an arm flex?

Likewise the M58 has J5. Small quota and used up very quickly.

The M54, OK, that one is dull but there's the history bits around Telford...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 16:42 The A17 is certainly boring. It's one of those roads that seems like it goes on and on forever.

I woud also agree with this end of the M62 apart from that in years gone by you would spot all of the coal fired power stations and try to remember which ones are which.

M6 jct 20 Lymm to Junction 16 at the A500 is always very boring. Long and straight sections with no real landmarks or bridges. Although in comparison that stretch is only short so perhaps more bearable.
That section of the M6 has to be one of the most boring sections.

The only respite is a chance of seeing aircraft lining up for the nearby Manchester Airport.

Years ago some of the overbridges used to be favourite spots for speed camera vans too.
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 19:24
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 15:17 It's the only way you can explain the M4 which has superb bits geekwise linked by sections so tediously dull you die of old age before reaching the next bit.
Well, your namesake Uncle Bryn reckons "it's a cracking motorway, the M4"...😉
For me the really tedious bit is 12-18, with the TV mast at Membury, the secret MOD site, and a minor road that passes under the motorway to relieve the boredom (I drove it westbound on New Year's Day). Once you get to J18, the views to the Severn estuary open up, then you reach a much more varied environment including the blue railway bridge, Almondsbury, Severn Bridges, Newport urban motorway plus tunnels and onwards round the north of Cardiff (Castell Coch) and through varied scenery towards Swansea via Bridgend (viaduct near Sarn) and Port Talbot. All very much more interesting than Reading to Bath.

I find the M11 from 8 to 10 interminable. I've only been on the eastern end of the M180 so not long enough to get too bored, and the few times I've done the M62 east of Leeds, I've never found boring.

Simon

Please contact me if you want to know more
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Isn't part of the response to this, how do you 'decorate' motorways with stuff to make them less boring? I mentioned about French motorway signage which includes illustrations about local towns. I'm quite a fan of artwork on motorways too - the Kelpies, Angel of the North being examples. It seems that the creation of artwork makes driving long, flat motorways a tad more interesting.
IAN

Post by IAN »

Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:32
There are also sections of the M5 which are pretty nondescript such as between Clevedon and Weston
I actually quite like that section going south, mainly because after a typical slow crawl between 15 and 19 traffic speeds usually improve at this point, there are also views of the huge underutilised junction 20 and the large space in the central reservation for the never-built 4th lane.

I usually find sections of motorway with long gaps between junctions boring as I like the 'benchmark' of feeling that I'm getting somewhere on my journey, so I'm less enthusiastic about M5 13-14 and 21-22 but I make an honourable exception for A74(M) 14-15!
AKA M5 Driver
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

IAN wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 13:17
I actually quite like that section going south, mainly because after a typical slow crawl between 15 and 19 traffic speeds usually improve at this point, there are also views of the huge underutilised junction 20 and the large space in the central reservation for the never-built 4th lane.

I usually find sections of motorway with long gaps between junctions boring as I like the 'benchmark' of feeling that I'm getting somewhere on my journey, so I'm less enthusiastic about M5 13-14 and 21-22 but I make an honourable exception for A74(M) 14-15!
One of the longest motorway sections is Tebay to Penrith, I know about the junction for Shap and as I saw them building it I know the B6261 was one of the main construction roads so it doesnt really count. Its actually one of my favourite sections, high standard, fast and with excellent scenery. Add Tebay services with its good food and excellent farm shop and its a winner.
unrepentantfool

Post by unrepentantfool »

Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:32 M69. All of it!!

There are also sections of the M5 which are pretty nondescript such as between Clevedon and Weston and the M50 up to Bromsgrove.

I'd also concur with call of the A1(M) though...
The M50 round Bromsgrove?! I like this alternate reality where the M50 continues as a M5 relief road to the M42 (not quite the Strensham to Solihull motorway though).
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

unrepentantfool wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 16:21
Bfivethousand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 17:32 M69. All of it!!

There are also sections of the M5 which are pretty nondescript such as between Clevedon and Weston and the M50 up to Bromsgrove.

I'd also concur with call of the A1(M) though...
The M50 round Bromsgrove?! I like this alternate reality where the M50 continues as a M5 relief road to the M42 (not quite the Strensham to Solihull motorway though).
The section of M5 from the M50 to Bromsgrove, maybe?
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.