Hardknott Pass - BBC article

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Hardknott Pass - BBC article

Post by FosseWay »

I was idly browsing the BBC website while eating breakfast and came across this:

Britain's wildest road

It's ages since I've been over the Hardknott and Wrynose passes, and I've never driven them myself. The reason for that is that I've driven my own car very little in the Lake District - when I've gone there I've generally got the train and walked between accommodation - and most of my driving there has been in minibuses, which are not allowed on Hardknott.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
darkcape

Re: Hardknott Pass - BBC article

Post by darkcape »

I drove it in an Astra in 2019. A bit scary but managed fine, only shame was it was all in fog so no nice views.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I haven't driven it myself but I have been a passenger in a hire car driven by a former GMP TASS driver, which was rather spirited and impressive driving all round.

It's not for the faint hearted really, there are some extremely tricky bends hidden by gradient changes which will take wheels off the ground if not anticipated properly. The real problem is there is always traffic on it and usually faint hearted drivers making traversing it at any point in summer extremely tedious - but that applies to virtually every road in the Lake District in my experience and it's why I don't often head up that way.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jervi

Post by jervi »

Went along it September 2020, although couldn't see much due to the clouds.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

I did it in September 2020, day before climbing Scafell. Had five in my Mokka, two of the passengers were more scared then me, did not find it that bad.

Worse bit was section from the A593 through Little Langdale to Wrynose Pass, with the stone walled lined road. No passing bays and inexperienced drivers not waiting at wider points to let cars pass.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
owen b

Post by owen b »

I've done it numerous times on my way to and from hiking up various of the Wainwrights. My first time up that way was in the late 70s in a camper van with one gear missing, which was a test for the vehicle and the driver and a great thrill for me as a kid in the back. Happy days :D .
Owen
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

I've done it a couple of times, just for fun - pulled over at the top to admire the view to be frightened witless by two Tornados coming up behind us at very low level.
Lifelong motorhead
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:55 I've done it a couple of times, just for fun - pulled over at the top to admire the view to be frightened witless by two Tornados coming up behind us at very low level.
Can't help thinking that doing Hardknott in a Tornado is, well, cheating! :D
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I've driven it once towards Langdale probably about 10 years ago and I remember it being exciting but not especially scary. I find the M25 scarier!
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

A303Chris wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:26 I did it in September 2020, day before climbing Scafell. Had five in my Mokka, two of the passengers were more scared then me, did not find it that bad.
My Mum always says that, when it comes to roads next to big drops in particular, she is happier to be the driver than a passenger. I think the issues with the Lake District passes are perhaps more to do with general steepness, some sharp bends and the narrowness of the road though.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Never directly driven it but was in a mini driven by a friend of mine, which covered the bends easily because of the low centre of gravity.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
owen b

Post by owen b »

trickstat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:55
A303Chris wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:26 I did it in September 2020, day before climbing Scafell. Had five in my Mokka, two of the passengers were more scared then me, did not find it that bad.
My Mum always says that, when it comes to roads next to big drops in particular, she is happier to be the driver than a passenger. I think the issues with the Lake District passes are perhaps more to do with general steepness, some sharp bends and the narrowness of the road though.
Agreed. It's narrow, steep, some of the bends are very tight, and it's busy in peak season, but there's no sheer drops to be scared of.
Owen
drm567

Post by drm567 »

I did it in the late 1960s in my Reliant Rebel. With a 700cc engine you soon learn how to stir the gear lever and it was an easier drive than I anticipated.
330px-Reliant_Rebel_1964_(9117701695).jpg
330px-Reliant_Rebel_1964_(9117701695).jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Done it three times now. Twice in the '04 Focus and the first of those with five in the car on a less than ideal surface. The second time was better weather but someone ahead chickened-out/was unable to proceed and started backing down the Hardknott towards me! In a nearly new '69 plate Focus with a more responsive engine, nearly new tyres and brakes, it was much easier. Yes the bit at the bottom of the Wrynose with the narrow section at Little Langdale can actually be more troubling because of platoons unable to pass each other. I've done that once but avoided most of it twice by going via Great Langdale (and then of course up Red Bank to Grasmere which is a huge shortcut to Keswick v going via Ambleside).
Burns

Post by Burns »

I'd like to try this pass out but I'm considering a 6am start in midsummer to avoid the hoach. Challenging single track roads are my favourite to drive but the thought of a busy British one full of badly driven fake SUVs with fog lights on in the middle of the day fills me with dread.
newt21964

Post by newt21964 »

Done this quite a few times, in mk III Cortina, Sierra, Skoda vRS, Jag XF and Jag iPace.

It is very challenging in places, not to be done in high season due to amount of traffic and those without a clue how to drive it. Lots of use of 1st gears, not at all fun in the dark as your main beam hardly ever lighting the way forward (top tip, do it in daylight).

Absolutely by far the easiest was in Jaguar iPace, it was almost a doddle having all that grip, no gears to worry about, shortish bonnet to peer over etc.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Have done this many times in many different vehicles, but ascending two up in a 1930 Austin 7 was the most memorable, as the passenger there were a couple of occasions where I had to 'nip out' and push for few yards. :laugh:
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

Wimps.

Priests Leap in Cork, Ireland (whilst not having Tornadoes) is much more fun :D

https://goo.gl/maps/dMqzqcRx8ucJLg7V6
Burns

Post by Burns »

Chris_533976 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 20:54 Wimps.

Priests Leap in Cork, Ireland (whilst not having Tornadoes) is much more fun :D

https://goo.gl/maps/dMqzqcRx8ucJLg7V6
That looks incredible. As much as I'd love to do it in my own car, it sits too low to the road so I think I'd rather take a hire along it.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

First time I drove it was in the late '80s in a clapped-out Mini Metro. Burnt the brakes out at the western side of Hardknott. Most recently did it in October 21 on the way over to Wasdale Head, which is of course, stunning.

Most difficult bit of Hardknott

That Priests Leap looks great. Are there any hairpins on it though?