"Swift Gates" to be trialled replacing cone tapers

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jay8g

Re: "Swift Gates" to be trialled replacing cone tapers

Post by jay8g »

Sorry -- should have said "well behind by US standards" :laugh:

I always find different standards between countries interesting, which is why I find this whole discussion so fascinating.
jervi

Post by jervi »

When I drove through Hindhead tunnel today, I did notice that the Swift Gate mechanics were in place (concreate blocks & metal post), but the actual "gates" were not fitted.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I kept meaning to ask about that... Theyve been missing for a few weeks now.
They did all the work to switch the lights and install them, and have already removed them.
Missing paperwork meaning they weren't allowed to be there?
Some fault that meant they had to go?
Really short trial that has already finished?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I think they vanished in the week we had those storms. No sign of them returning though!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Lockwood wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 22:48 Missing paperwork meaning they weren't allowed to be there?
I've seen a traffic signs authorisation for these from the DfT so they can be there in regards to the TSRGD, that's not to say there wasn't something else untoward with paperwork though.
Simon
dave55uk

Post by dave55uk »

CallumParry wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 21:55 some ideas are best left on a back of a fag packet this is hideous
Quite. I don't like the idea at all.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Perhaps someone panicked because they are not approved for use on motorways! :lol:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Just an update on these "swift gates". The gate part of them was removed a year ago ahead of a big storm around February or March, presumably because they're made of lightweight plastic and there was a fear they'd come loose (not a great show of faith in the design!). They were then missing until around December or January when they were re-fitted, and are now back in situ again.

However, I've been through two overnight routine maintenance closures since then, which are the events the gates are designed for - one tunnel bore gets closed overnight while the other runs in contraflow with a 40 limit. Both times the lane closure had been made with standard cones, and the gates remained swung out of use. So they are clearly not being used any more, and I assume that means the trial wasn't considered a success. If so, it would be good to see them removed, because they're now just a lot of metalwork and concrete in the central reservation, and seemingly not trusted in strong winds.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Helvellyn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 20:46 Red flags raised here - "digital", "smart" - all signs that usually seem to mean "well duh it's more high tech so of course it's better innit? Got to make stuff digital because!"
"Digital" can mean almost anything. If a system uses a programable logical controller (PLC), then, technically, it is using digital technology. PLCs have been around for 50 years! TGhe chief advantage of early PLCs over relays and switches was that they were cheaper to manufacture and the design and test process was also cheaper.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 07:53 Just an update on these "swift gates". The gate part of them was removed a year ago ahead of a big storm around February or March, presumably because they're made of lightweight plastic and there was a fear they'd come loose (not a great show of faith in the design!). They were then missing until around December or January when they were re-fitted, and are now back in situ again.

However, I've been through two overnight routine maintenance closures since then, which are the events the gates are designed for - one tunnel bore gets closed overnight while the other runs in contraflow with a 40 limit. Both times the lane closure had been made with standard cones, and the gates remained swung out of use. So they are clearly not being used any more, and I assume that means the trial wasn't considered a success. If so, it would be good to see them removed, because they're now just a lot of metalwork and concrete in the central reservation, and seemingly not trusted in strong winds.
GSV from August 2022 shows them as the post-storm state, just the metalwork without the plastic https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1079126 ... 384!8i8192
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 07:53 Just an update on these "swift gates". The gate part of them was removed a year ago ahead of a big storm around February or March, presumably because they're made of lightweight plastic and there was a fear they'd come loose (not a great show of faith in the design!). They were then missing until around December or January when they were re-fitted, and are now back in situ again.

Thank God it still has that stupid road marking throughout though, I mean how could drivers cope with both these gates and that not being present?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 13:34Thank God it still has that stupid road marking throughout though, I mean how could drivers cope with both these gates and that not being present?
I'm saying nothing!
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Helvellyn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 20:46 Red flags raised here - "digital", "smart" - all signs that usually seem to mean "well duh it's more high tech so of course it's better innit? Got to make stuff digital because!"
SMART in this case = Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology