Newest bypassed roads?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Unbreakify

Newest bypassed roads?

Post by Unbreakify »

This includes: Abandoned, Still in use, Semi-Abandoned (road alignment is still open; but a section is closed to traffic)

So yeah, this is 100% inspired from another post i made called Newest Abandoned Roads.
Heres it again, but slightly changed.

Any bypass road will do. :)
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Newest bypassed roads?

Post by nowster »

How new? There are several under construction at the moment, eg. A30 Carland X to Chivvy X, A487 Caernarfon/Bontnewydd.

The A487 one will probably open in about a month.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

I interpret this question as ‘what is the newest road which has already been bypassed by another road?’

In which case I nominate Home Farm Road in Longstanton, Cambs. I don’t think it was even a decade old when the B1050 bypass further out was constructed.
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

The old trunk road to Tilbury is another candidate for "road bypassed most quickly after opening", as I mentioned in that thread:
I wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 13:31 From a different perspective of the title, one of the roads to be abandoned quickest after opening is the old trunk road to Tilbury docks, which got bypassed just a few years after opening. Most of it is still in use as a local route, but you can clearly see that this bridge has space for an extra carriageway, and it's even more obvious on the aerial view, along with some surrounding alignments of former slip roads.
I can only assume there must have been earlier plans to upgrade the A13 online through the north side of Grays, rather than bypassing the route to the north.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
doebag

Post by doebag »

Peter350 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 13:28 I interpret this question as ‘what is the newest road which has already been bypassed by another road?’

In which case I nominate Home Farm Road in Longstanton, Cambs. I don’t think it was even a decade old when the B1050 bypass further out was constructed.
A god candidate for a bypass of a bypass of a bypass. And possible another bypass if you include School Lane