Roads downgraded after motorways built.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: Roads downgraded after motorways built.

Post by KeithW »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 13:39
You also have a good example of how roads some distance away can be relieved. Before the M1 east of Leeds was built I'd have used the M18 and A1.
Which road I choose depends on where I am headed, for East London I tend to use A1(M)/A1/A14/M11

For West London it depends on the traffic on the day, as often as not Google Maps sends me via A1(M)/M18/M1
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The M90 replaced the A90 from the Forth Bridge to Perth, the old road being downgraded to a B road.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 13:39
NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 20:41 The A64 in Leeds is an example it was massively relieved by the building of the M1 east of Leeds, I’m a bit young to remember but I know a man who used to do the A64 into Leeds daily he said that overnight the traffic vanished, he then left work in Leeds and had to go back in at morning rush hour prior to covid and said it was actually worse than before the M1…….. I said but imagine it with that traffic growth and no M1, I think the biggest change is the reduction in HGV’s and the removal of long distance traffic, although the A64 was never downgraded it simply benefited from the M1, obviously the insane amount of traffic lights on the A64 doesn’t now help!
You also have a good example of how roads some distance away can be relieved. Before the M1 east of Leeds was built I'd have used the M18 and A1.
From my point of view, it relieved the A642 through Garforth and Oulton - this would be the preferred route from York to the M62 and Manchester. It cut the corner off instead of going via Ferrybridge, and also avoided the run through Leeds on the A64. Bonus points if you used the A162/B1217 to avoid the deathtrap crossroads at Bramham.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Then there is Hatfield, the last place to be by passed on the A1 south of Stannington, Northumberland. Just over a mile of S2 misery was replaced by a very nice D3M in a tunnel that eliminated long distance traffic through the town and has a shopping centre built over the southern portal. One of my faves of a by pass as it was so complete in its aims.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Pretty much all of the former National Primary (N) routes here in Ireland were downgraded to Regional road (R) status after they were replaced with motorways which also took their numbering.

Within the M50 C-ring motorway of Dublin, all the radial N routes were also downgraded to R routes, a stupid decision in my humble opinion.

And usually their speed limits were also downgraded from 100 KPH to 80 KPH, often unnecessarily... :evil:
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A38 was downgraded to a B road through Aston when the Aston Expressway was opened in 1972, possibly because only local traffic would be using the old A38.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 19:01 The A38 was downgraded to a B road through Aston when the Aston Expressway was opened in 1972, possibly because only local traffic would be using the old A38.
Isn't it the A5127?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

ForestChav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 19:05
Glenn A wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 19:01 The A38 was downgraded to a B road through Aston when the Aston Expressway was opened in 1972, possibly because only local traffic would be using the old A38.
Isn't it the A5127?
Yes, it is. Non-primary, but still class I.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 18:56 Then there is Hatfield, the last place to be by passed on the A1 south of Stannington, Northumberland. Just over a mile of S2 misery was replaced by a very nice D3M in a tunnel that eliminated long distance traffic through the town and has a shopping centre built over the southern portal. One of my faves of a by pass as it was so complete in its aims.
There are lots o little cutoffs on the Northumbrian stretch of the A1 - here is one complete with old signage.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.55121 ... 6656?hl=en
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

The A1(M) in North Yorkshire and M62 has to have done quite a few.

A688/A67/A66/A685
A19/A1079
A59
A64 through Leeds
A58
A640
A62
A672
A61
A661
A63
A639

and that's just the Eastern side.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The old A55 between Abergele and Conwy is now A547 - again, still Class I but now non-primary.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: A55 :

The A55 is the main road in North Wales. It is a very high quality road, much of it rebuilt in the 1990s, which today forms the main road linking Chester to Holyhead. Apart from the Britannia Bridge, which remains S2, and a short bit of S2 in Holyhead, it is wholly D2. Some sections of the A55 are even a secret motorway.

It is the busiest and most congested road in the region due to its

... Read More