M6 Jct 21A

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nearM65

M6 Jct 21A

Post by nearM65 »

could someone tell me why croft jct 21A is not just jct 21 as its not an add on junction after the M6 was built. Many thanks.
5000 miles a month and counting.. :D
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: M6 Jct 21A

Post by c2R »

What do you mean "not an add on junction"? The M6 here was opened in July 1963; the M62 to the west was opened in November 1973 and to the east in April 1974.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

nearM65 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 05:16 could someone tell me why croft jct 21A is not just jct 21 as its not an add on junction after the M6 was built. Many thanks.
Because J21 is the A57 junction, built at the same time as the M6 and J21A opened ten years later with the M62?

There's plenty of different maps on SABRE Maps that show that particular time period.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Steven wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 07:51
nearM65 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 05:16 could someone tell me why croft jct 21A is not just jct 21 as its not an add on junction after the M6 was built. Many thanks.
Because J21 is the A57 junction, built at the same time as the M6 and J21A opened ten years later with the M62?

There's plenty of different maps on SABRE Maps that show that particular time period.
Wow, I remember the construction starting on 21A.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More
fras

Post by fras »

This junction occupies huge area and is a real "plate of spaghetti". Just look at the link between M62 westbound to M6 northbound. I think it's all free-flow at 70mph, if I'm not mistaken. A rarety in this day and age.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

I wouldn't call J21A a "plate of spaghetti". I'd reserve that term for complex hybrid or non-standard designs. For example, M6J6, the original 'Spaghetti Junction'.

J21A is a standard 'clover-stack'. The type is not rare, globally (three in the UK?). I think it's one of the better interchanges on the motorway network. It is perhaps slightly over-sized.