Fancy being a NH NED?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Micro The Maniac

Fancy being a NH NED?

Post by Micro The Maniac »

National Highways are recruiting a new Non-Executive Director

Anyone interested?

https://publicappointments.cabinetoffic ... -director/
Truvelo

Re: Fancy being a NH NED?

Post by Truvelo »

£25k, who are they kidding :@

I was getting more than that driving my car round the country.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 03:43 £25k, who are they kidding :@

I think you missed something
27 days a year for £25k
not bad
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

JammyDodge wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 04:50

I think you missed something
27 days a year for £25k
not bad
And presumably you don't have to take any serious decisions. A "job" for one of the old boy network no doubt.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I note that the one thing missing from the requirements is any expertise in highways design, management, maintenance or even use. Par for the course these days I am afraid
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

KeithW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:19 I note that the one thing missing from the requirements is any expertise in highways design, management, maintenance or even use. Par for the course these days I am afraid
I work for a Government Agency that has non-exec directors. As far as I can tell these tend to have experience in senior positions in private business with little direct connection to what we do. I'm not saying that such people won't have any expertise that may be of use to a Government Agency, and that may well be lacking amongst the established staff. However, I am unsure how useful that really is when their knowledge of the field is limited, at least to start with, and the ways of working between us and the businesses they have worked in may be very different.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

It looks like an IT/Management role to me. Somebody who can talk to the IT geeks on the one hand and to senior managers on the other and make sure that each understand what the other is saying.

Mnay years ago I worked at the de Beers Diamond Research Laboratories in Johannesburg. I came up with something that was put to seniuor management after it had passed through about two or three levels of interpretation. It so happened that one morning whenb I was waiting for my bus, one of the de Beers directors (who lived about 500 metres from where I was in a house-share) spotted me and offered me a lift. WHile we were on our way to the city centre, I had to explain to him in non-techical language what my theories were about. I suspect that the role being offered is for somebody to do a similar job.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

£25,000 for just 27 days/year - £926 per day
Lifelong motorhead
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 08:14

£25,000 for just 27 days/year - £926 per day
Pro rata for a Monday to Friday job over a year that would be over £200,000 even taking out bank holidays and annual leave.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I'll take it. First job, force all developers to replace their at-grade junctions with GSJ's at their own cost. Witney, Gloucester, Droitwich Taunton and many others.
Second, er, I'll think of something......
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 I'll take it. First job, force all developers to replace their at-grade junctions with GSJ's at their own cost. Witney, Gloucester, Droitwich Taunton and many others.
Second, er, I'll think of something......
What's the pension like? Can you "work" :roll: from home? Flexitime/flexileave? How much annual leave? :lol:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

What's the pension like? Can you "work" :roll: from home? Flexitime/flexileave? How much annual leave? :lol:
Pension is 10/6 per week. Yes, work only from home. Flexitime allows me to rush off to a diversion whilst also identifying developer rbts to get rid of. Annual Leave, 50 weeks plus 2 weeks Diversion Leave..... shhh:
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Deadline day...

Has anyone applied?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 Deadline day...

Has anyone applied?
No, because a quick glance at the spec tells you this job is Operation Poo Magnet to deal with all the negative PR NH generates:

The successful candidate will bring experience in a customer-facing organisation, where they will have driven understanding of customer perspectives. They will be experienced in reputation and relationship management in a complex environment. Digital transformation experience, an understanding of shaping sustainable outcomes and of driving a culture of safety in the delivery of products and services would be helpful. Candidates do not require prior non-executive experience but must understand how to operate at board level. National Highways is committed to a policy of diversity and inclusion and would welcome applications from individuals from underrepresented backgrounds.

My bold. The former is dealing with the press and me calling you incompetent, the latter is fixing the clustermuck that is smart motorway design and delivery.

You'd be mad to take this job on even at the money offered.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck