New Mersey Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rogndave

Re: New Mersey Crossing

Post by Rogndave »

Given that the new bridge has three lane dual carriageways, with the old one will be returned to full use, it looks as though the Haltonians have made generous provision for future traffic growth, as compared against the Scots' parsimony in restricting the new Forth crossing to D2 only plus hard shoulder.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Rogndave wrote:Given that the new bridge has three lane dual carriageways, with the old one will be returned to full use, it looks as though the Haltonians have made generous provision for future traffic growth, as compared against the Scots' parsimony in restricting the new Forth crossing to D2 only plus hard shoulder.
I believe the old Forth crossing is staying as D2? If so the Forth crossings will have the ultimate capacity ( with HS running ) of 5 lanes each way.

Silver Jubilee bridge is being reduced from S4 to S2 to give more space for cycles and pedestrians. This means the ultimate capacity will be 4 lanes each way. :(
Rogndave

Post by Rogndave »

I believe the "old" Forth Road Bridge will be re-opened only for buses, motorbikes and taxis, so, unless there is a change of mind, there will only be two lanes each way for the great majority of traffic, as against four lanes each way for Runcorn-Widnes.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

This evenings firework display over the new bridge -

Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

So when does the old bridge close for repairs? Immediately?
Let it snow.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Rogndave wrote:I believe the "old" Forth Road Bridge will be re-opened only for buses, motorbikes and taxis, so, unless there is a change of mind, there will only be two lanes each way for the great majority of traffic, as against four lanes each way for Runcorn-Widnes.
Maybe I should have been clearer, but by 'ultimate capacity' I meant what would be available if all restrictions were lifted and the freeflow links restored. Unlike the old Forth bridge the work on the Silver Jubilee Bridge will cause a permanent reduction from 4 lanes to 2.

I thought the removal of the northern approach freeflow connections was because the intent is that the old bridge will be prioritised for public transport, NMU's and local traffic rather than through traffic.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Alderpoint wrote:So when does the old bridge close for repairs? Immediately?
It's reported that the old bridge will be closed just before midnight with a 'rolling roadblock' holding traffic until the new bridge opens.

Edit : Not sure if there will be anyone doing a live feed as the webcams stopped updating at 7pm this evening.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Pendlemac wrote:
Alderpoint wrote:So when does the old bridge close for repairs? Immediately?
It's reported that the old bridge will be closed just before midnight with a 'rolling roadblock' holding traffic until the new bridge opens.

Edit : Not sure if there will be anyone doing a live feed as the webcams stopped updating at 7pm this evening.
Me and Bryn are in Runcorn now, according to a copper it will open 30 seconds after midnight.

Old bridge is still open but can only be accessed from the Eastbound Weston Point expressway.

I'll try to get a video up as soon as possible after we go across, expect it 1am-2am ish.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

And the open road -

The amount of people queuing to get on was phenomenal - a hell of a lot more than when the Queensferry Crossing opened. I guess that's what happens when you publicise an opening time!
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

And finally, the daylight version...

Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

I've just got back from a return trip across the bridge. It's certainly a very impressive structure and I'm sure it will become just as iconic as the Runcorn bridge in time.

As Jeni said in another thread, paying for the toll was painless and the world didn't implode upon payment.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The fear I have is the bridge will prove too popular.

For normal people who value time and their work life balance more than the petty "principled" drive 100 miles out of my way to save 4p seem to, paying £2 to avoid Thelwall and access south Liverpool via a largely free flow route will be attractive. When M56 j11a opens it will add to it.

The toll might actually prevent traffic growth choking the area. Congestion deters investment more than a toll does. Look at the development along the M6T for example.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

In Jeni's first video I assume the array of cameras at 2:32 is the ANPR for the toll.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
fras

Post by fras »

I think the first thing to say is - many thanks, Jeni for staying up half the night to bring us the videos !

It is pleasing to see that it is D3, (and NSL, yes ?). cApproach on the video is D2, but there is an entry just before the bridge which carries on and makes Lane 1, with the main entry Lanes 2 & 3 so should be smooth flowing. I suspect the tolls will have their inevitable dampening effect on demand, mainly on daily commuters not living in Halton, I would think. Maybe their employers will cough up. Dream on !!

For occasional use for people like myself the £2 toll is very reasonable, (just used M6 Toll again today - £4.80). I note also that the government have now publicly committed to removing the tolls when the bridge is paid off, presumably the capital, so costs of maintenance of it must fall somewhere else from that point.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

The toll signs were very discreet in the videos. I hope there's more detail on how and where to pay on other prominent signage.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Squinting at a phone screen I was able to pick up the prices twice and the payment website twice on different signs. Naturally there may be problems as once the motorist has made the decision to proceed along the road where the charge applies, the money is not collected from a near passive driver but requires some active intervention from the driver to pay the charge and avoid a penalty. As in other walks of society whether "they" can be "bovvered' remains to be seen although the bar is set pretty low in order to be able to find out how to pay and then actually pay the charge.
I do however await with interest the Mail and Express sob stories of how people have been duped or penalised by the charges.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

So the new crossing is open, and the old bridge has been closed.

Since the new crossing is prohibited to pedestrians and cyclists, how do they cross the river until the old bridge re-opens?
Let it snow.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Alderpoint wrote: Since the new crossing is prohibited to pedestrians and cyclists, how do they cross the river until the old bridge re-opens?
Ah. To answer my own question: The Silver Jubilee Bridge will remain open to cyclists and pedestrians throughout this closure. (Source)
Let it snow.
jackal

Post by jackal »

None of the videos I've seen really show the Runcorn road network improvements, which are very substantial in their own right - two rebuilt freeflow interchanges and link roads ('C/D lanes') all the way along the Central Expressway. Google Maps and SABRE/OSM seem to show these semi-complete. Did they actually complete these improvements along with the bridge or are they still under construction? I think the plans on the last page here are still current:

http://www.merseygateway.co.uk/wp-conte ... y-2013.pdf