New Mersey Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

vlad

Re: New Mersey Crossing

Post by vlad »

I had the opportunity of looking at what they're doing to the Silver Jubilee Bridge today whilst passing it on the adjacent railway bridge. I must say it seems odd there's no traffic using it. Whereas it's still open to pedestrians I didn't see any.

At the moment there are several of those works portacabins sitting on the bridge and there are men up in the rigging presumably figuring out what to do with it. It doesn't appear that they've started to do anything with the roadway yet, except on the Widnes side where they've removed the central barrier of the dual carriageway. It's still early days I guess.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Berk wrote: However, not all tolls are government run. What about the Humber Bridge, for example??
Most tolls aren't operated by central government.
Only the Dartford and Severn crossings and the M6 Toll are accountable to the DfT/Highways England. And they are run as PFI concessions.

All the other tolled crossings are run by local authorities, joint boards or PTEs.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Berk wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:
Berk wrote:I think the ‘giant’ signs being alluded to are no bigger than your normal information or ADS sign - large enough to see, but not until you get close.
300mm x-height, so motorway sized, and also 2 miles before the last exit before the toll. We've done this topic to death before, if you can't see these signs then stop driving.
“Signs as big as houses”, Kindersley said. They are big, but not massive. And impossible to see at all if a lorry is cruising past in lane 1. Though I accept you’ll have passed at least one or two other “C-Charge” signs. :wink:
They could easily be 4m wide by 7m tall. Sounds pretty much house-sized to me, although I appreciate the perspective you get as you drive past means they don't actually look that big.

Still plenty big enough to see though, unless you're blind.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Glen wrote:
Berk wrote: However, not all tolls are government run. What about the Humber Bridge, for example??
Most tolls aren't operated by central government.
Only the Dartford and Severn crossings and the M6 Toll are accountable to the DfT/Highways England. And they are run as PFI concessions.

All the other tolled crossings are run by local authorities, joint boards or PTEs.
At Dartford, the Area 5 DBFO Co is paid a service charge to collect the charge for HM Govt as the PFI for the new crossing finished when the construction debt was paid off.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

vlad wrote: I must say it seems odd there's no traffic using it. Whereas it's still open to pedestrians I didn't see any.
It isn't during the day. They decided it was too risky and there is a free bus instead.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

On another thread:
Bendo wrote:So almost 10k a day down on the 80k+ / day figure Halton council had from 2008 which I expect would have grown a fair bit. Once the novelty wears off and people have been priced out of their jobs, it will feel even more deserted.
We have had a major recession since 2008 that had a massive knock on traffic. It only reached the 2007 peak about 3 years ago, so traffic growth has been nowhere near what people thought it would be 11 years ago.

I'm bored of hearing how £2 a day, which residents of Halton don't have to pay anyway, is pricing people out of jobs. As ever there is no evidence, just hyperbole.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
fras

Post by fras »

Bryn666 wrote:On another thread:
Bendo wrote:So almost 10k a day down on the 80k+ / day figure Halton council had from 2008 which I expect would have grown a fair bit. Once the novelty wears off and people have been priced out of their jobs, it will feel even more deserted.
We have had a major recession since 2008 that had a massive knock on traffic. It only reached the 2007 peak about 3 years ago, so traffic growth has been nowhere near what people thought it would be 11 years ago.

I'm bored of hearing how £2 a day, which residents of Halton don't have to pay anyway, is pricing people out of jobs. As ever there is no evidence, just hyperbole.
Maybe, but shouting from the rooftops that you've already issued 50,000 Penalty Charge Notices for non-payment doesn't help the situation. All traffic over a tolled road or bridge consists of two classes of traffic, those who have to go that way, and those who have a choice. I suspect that the toll and the quite severe penalty for non-payment, (about 30 times the toll) puts people off going that way, so they go somewhere else. This can be shopping or other leisure activities. Yes, it is easy to pay for people like us but there is a large body of people who are not up-to-speed on this modern stuff so they disappear almost overnight and thus destroy the economics of the bridge. It makes other shopping destinations more attractive, and there are plenty around that location.
Of course I should have added that if you go up the motorway on the Wirral and use the tunnels instead, you can still pay cash and therefore have certainty and peace of mind. We ignore this psychological stuff at our peril.
Berk

Post by Berk »

^^I find this to be a not very convincing argument, at least I think only people older than 50 would be inconvenienced. Probably really only over 60, if I’m honest.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Noone is forcing you to read it.

Oh and in their justification for the bridge Halton Council put the figures at just under 90K a day so there had been growth.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

fras wrote:

Maybe, but shouting from the rooftops that you've already issued 50,000 Penalty Charge Notices for non-payment doesn't help the situation. All traffic over a tolled road or bridge consists of two classes of traffic, those who have to go that way, and those who have a choice. I suspect that the toll and the quite severe penalty for non-payment, (about 30 times the toll) puts people off going that way, so they go somewhere else. This can be shopping or other leisure activities. Yes, it is easy to pay for people like us but there is a large body of people who are not up-to-speed on this modern stuff so they disappear almost overnight and thus destroy the economics of the bridge. It makes other shopping destinations more attractive, and there are plenty around that location.
Of course I should have added that if you go up the motorway on the Wirral and use the tunnels instead, you can still pay cash and therefore have certainty and peace of mind. We ignore this psychological stuff at our peril.
There is only one category. All drivers make the choice to use the bridge or not.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I find it amusing that those who "are being priced off the roads" think a Northern season ticket will be cheaper than paying the toll too. Good luck with that.

Additionally if you're confused by online toll payment heaven help you trying to navigate a railway station ticket machine.

"Noone is forcing you to read it."

Funnily enough no one is forcing you to use a toll bridge either. Last I heard we had the freedom to change jobs and move house if a toll bridge is such a terrible imposition.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

We're generally poor at advance signing of toll routes. For example the A57 in Lincolnshire is not signed as being tolled on advance signage, eg. from the A1.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Berk wrote:^^I find this to be a not very convincing argument, at least I think only people older than 50 would be inconvenienced. Probably really only over 60, if I’m honest.
Hey, steady on with this "ageist abuse"! I'd vote for at least 62!! :lol:
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

There is a debate today in Westminster Hall on the subject "Tolls on the Mersey Crossings".

It's live here

Andrew
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Was it triggered by a petition poll?
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Went across this for the first time today.

I have to say I was very impressed!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
fras

Post by fras »

We went to Bent's Garden Centre before Christmas, so I decided on a little detour. I paid for two crossings thinking we might have time to go both ways, but we only went one way, so in theory, I have £2 ready for another crossing. The new bridge is very impressive, but the roundabout to get onto it at the south end of the A557 involves a very tight LH turn, plus one has to be in the LH lane, but this is not made clear at all. The other thing is that everybody says the signs about a toll are very clear. Well to me they aren't and, FWIW, most people may see the sign and expect to see a toll-booth. I would think 99% of people in this area have used the Mersey tunnels which have booths and expect the same here.I would say almost nobody will have used the Dartford Crossing so one can understand why so many PCNs have been issued. Frankly, I think it is pretty poor do just dumping this new system on people. There should have been a period in which warnings were issued, but I suppose the greed of the authorities overrides all ethical considerations.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

fras wrote:Frankly, I think it is pretty poor do just dumping this new system on people. There should have been a period in which warnings were issued, but I suppose the greed of the authorities overrides all ethical considerations.
What better warning period is there than a solid year of people moaning about the idea of going online to pay the new toll?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

fras wrote:We went to Bent's Garden Centre before Christmas, so I decided on a little detour. I paid for two crossings thinking we might have time to go both ways, but we only went one way, so in theory, I have £2 ready for another crossing. The new bridge is very impressive, but the roundabout to get onto it at the south end of the A557 involves a very tight LH turn, plus one has to be in the LH lane, but this is not made clear at all. The other thing is that everybody says the signs about a toll are very clear. Well to me they aren't and, FWIW, most people may see the sign and expect to see a toll-booth. I would think 99% of people in this area have used the Mersey tunnels which have booths and expect the same here.I would say almost nobody will have used the Dartford Crossing so one can understand why so many PCNs have been issued. Frankly, I think it is pretty poor do just dumping this new system on people. There should have been a period in which warnings were issued, but I suppose the greed of the authorities overrides all ethical considerations.
Motorists choose to go via a route that has a charge, they need to find out how to pay which is written on line and on signs at and before the point of charge.
How much simpler can it be? Or do motorists need a nanny state explaining everything to them in the simplest terms?
Berk

Post by Berk »

RichardA35 wrote:
fras wrote:We went to Bent's Garden Centre before Christmas, so I decided on a little detour. I paid for two crossings thinking we might have time to go both ways, but we only went one way, so in theory, I have £2 ready for another crossing. The new bridge is very impressive, but the roundabout to get onto it at the south end of the A557 involves a very tight LH turn, plus one has to be in the LH lane, but this is not made clear at all. The other thing is that everybody says the signs about a toll are very clear. Well to me they aren't and, FWIW, most people may see the sign and expect to see a toll-booth. I would think 99% of people in this area have used the Mersey tunnels which have booths and expect the same here.I would say almost nobody will have used the Dartford Crossing so one can understand why so many PCNs have been issued. Frankly, I think it is pretty poor do just dumping this new system on people. There should have been a period in which warnings were issued, but I suppose the greed of the authorities overrides all ethical considerations.
Motorists choose to go via a route that has a charge, they need to find out how to pay which is written on line and on signs at and before the point of charge.
How much simpler can it be? Or do motorists need a nanny state explaining everything to them in the simplest terms?
Only most motorists... don’t seem to think that way.

(I agree with you, BTW. It’s the first thing I would check before setting off.)