Oldest "future-proofing" that never got used

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mapper89062

Re: Oldest "future-proofing" that never got used

Post by Mapper89062 »

It's been mentioned on here a while ago, but a good contender for this must be the futureproofing of Birkfield Drive and Lovetofts Drive in Ipswich for the never-built New Town:

Birkfield Drive is very overbuilt for a suburban distributor with obvious space for dualling
The northern end - it is bolted abruptly onto an existing residential road, as they wouldn't have wanted to waste money building the expensive part crossing the railway and river if the New Town didn't go ahead, but if you continue the alignment towards the town centre you end up running right into Portman Road, which was supposed to have a major junction.
This is the southern end, which is obviously unfinished business, with a treeline that would allow the road to continue to presumably eventually meet the A137 near Alton Water.

Lovetofts Drive - less obviously futureproofed but there is verges or scrubland all the way along it that could be used to widen it.
The roundabout at the southern end has a stub that might well just be intended as playing field access but could fit a southern continuation of the route.
A quick glance at the route will also show that it is perfectly built to continue northward to join the former A45 (now Old Norwich Road) just to the north of the urban area and could curve round through the playing field to run alongside the railway line, which seems to have been the intended route for the A45 through the New Town.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
Herned

Post by Herned »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 15:53 Here's a very long (2.7km to be precise) one in Nice with headroom of just 2.3m so definitely cars only: https://goo.gl/maps/AxyAUryrJ2C22Aoj8
The western side of the A86 near Versailles is even worse, 10.1km with a maximum vehicle height of 2.0m. Must be very strange, like driving through a multi-storey car park for 10 minutes
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Herned wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 18:28
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 15:53 Here's a very long (2.7km to be precise) one in Nice with headroom of just 2.3m so definitely cars only: https://goo.gl/maps/AxyAUryrJ2C22Aoj8
The western side of the A86 near Versailles is even worse, 10.1km with a maximum vehicle height of 2.0m. Must be very strange, like driving through a multi-storey car park for 10 minutes
It's unusual in that it's a single bore tunnel with two carriageways - it's a double deck road in there. The associated HGV tunnel was planned but appears to have stalled. I've not had chance to drive it, I was last in Paris about 5 weeks before it opened.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

There are a couple of them in Laindon, Basildon.

This one on West Mayne is the most striking
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

B1040 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 14:00 In the '70s there were rumours that some of the roads in Harlow had green verges to allow for dualling.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7663315 ... 384!8i8192

On the other hand, the architects of Harlow liked the idea of "green wedges" dividing up the town. I haven't been back much in the last 40 years to see how things have changed. (mixture of my job taking me away, family moving and the friends I did have in school mostly leaving town).
It wasn't a rumour. Several of the roads in Harlow were intended to be wider. I've read the official history of Harlow on this. The main green wedge in Harlow is the golf course that separates the industrial area from the houses and the town centre.

Unfortunately the roads that need to be widened now are not the ones with room to expand. If the M11 had been built to the west of Harlow the roads would make more sense.
Katherine's Way was intended to be a dual carriageway linking the Pinnacles industrial area to the North Orbital: https://goo.gl/maps/CbpfEfHJrixNyXLX6
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 14:09
jnty wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:49 Not sure of the history of it but this one on the A27 at Crossbush is quite striking.
Ah yes... the western extension of the A27... which may just possibly finally be coming to fruition!
You beat me to the keyboard!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

The two isolated sections of the Manchester Eastern Bypass here and here must be contenders - they date from the 1930s, so about 90 years of futureproofing that was never used.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 09:32 The two isolated sections of the Manchester Eastern Bypass here and here must be contenders - they date from the 1930s, so about 90 years of futureproofing that was never used.
I can remember a thread about a section of an arterial road in a housing estate in SW London, but I can't find the thread or the road on a map.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 09:58
Chris5156 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 09:32 The two isolated sections of the Manchester Eastern Bypass here and here must be contenders - they date from the 1930s, so about 90 years of futureproofing that was never used.
I can remember a thread about a section of an arterial road in a housing estate in SW London, but I can't find the thread or the road on a map.
Was it this one in Worcester Park? It continues via Knollmead, Sheephouse Way (complete with giant roundabout), South Lane, Kingshill Avenue, Green Lane and Lower Morden Lane to the A24.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14
Was it this one in Worcester Park? It continues via Knollmead, Sheephouse Way (complete with giant roundabout), South Lane, Kingshill Avenue, Green Lane and Lower Morden Lane to the A24.
It's almost a prototype Ringway 3 line looking at that!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:19
It's almost a prototype Ringway 3 line looking at that!
It was more like this but I'm not sure this is it. IIRC unclassified dual carriageway with a diamond roundabout
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 09:58 I can remember a thread about a section of an arterial road in a housing estate in SW London, but I can't find the thread or the road on a map.
Try looking here wich has a lot of data on London Arterial Roads.
https://www.roads.org.uk/articles/londo ... rial-roads
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

How about this fairly well-known example.
Last edited by Kevin Roads on Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:52, edited 4 times in total.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Kevin Roads wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 14:05 How about this https://maps.app.goo.gl/etxKWgo3UMiJ7ya67 fairly well-known example.

Would someone be kind enought to explain how to post hyperlinks, please? I've tried using the hyperlink button and pasting the Google maps link in it but can't see how to put the text in e.g to post the word 'this' as a map link.
Type [ u r l = <link>] text here [ /u r l ] without the spaces in url -- or do a reply to someone using a nice feature such as Red text and see what they did
Johnny Mo
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

:oops: Yes Lost Arterial A24 was D2 grassed bridge near Kingston Bypss

This was the diamond roundabout I was thinking about
Last edited by JohnnyMo on Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Mo
Herned

Post by Herned »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 09:58 I can remember a thread about a section of an arterial road in a housing estate in SW London, but I can't find the thread or the road on a map.
Wasn't there something in Penge or somewhere that way? I remember a discussion about it a while ago. No joy finding it on a map yet, helpfully
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 14:52
Kevin Roads wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 14:05 How about this https://maps.app.goo.gl/etxKWgo3UMiJ7ya67 fairly well-known example.

Would someone be kind enought to explain how to post hyperlinks, please? I've tried using the hyperlink button and pasting the Google maps link in it but can't see how to put the text in e.g to post the word 'this' as a map link.
Type [ u r l = <link>] text here [ /u r l ] without the spaces in url -- or do a reply to someone using a nice feature such as Red text and see what they did
It worked! Thanks, Johnny, I've edited my original post with a much neater hyperlink.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Kevin Roads wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 14:05How about this fairly well-known example.
Brilliant example of futureproofing, but definitely not the oldest!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

I like that the road is called Eastern By-Pass, and it has a no through road sign.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Kevin Roads wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 14:05 How about this fairly well-known example.
If you like that, you'll surely like this too.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!