A1044/B1380 confusion?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Joeey

A1044/B1380 confusion?

Post by Joeey »

I've been browsing the roads around Teesside and I've noticed that the mapbox on the page for the A1044 shows it running along Low Lane from the junction with the Parkway (Grid Ref NZ479149) to Blue Bell Interchange (Grid Ref NZ491154). Interesting the mapbox on the B1380 page shows this same section as a gap in the route.

Part of me wonders if this is a numbering quirk as prior to the construction of the Parkway, the A1044 started at the Blue Bell Interchange on what was then the A174, and headed west along Low Lane until where the Parkway junction is now, and then along the final stretch of the B1380 to reach its original route to the south of Teesside Industrial Estate (Grid Ref NZ459133).

It would appear though that the signage at either end suggests that this section of Low Lane is part of the B1380.

Perhaps more interestingly, if this section of Low Lane is in fact the A1044, it would give us a useless multiplex, as the A174 terminates end-on with the A1044 to the north of Teesside Industrial Estate (Grid Ref NZ453149), meaning that the A1044 then multiplexes along the A174 through the Parkway Interchange (Grid Ref NZ465151), and then up to the junction where the route reappears to head towards the Blue Bell Interchange. Realistically if this were the case, then it would've made more sense to have the A174 terminate at the Parkway Interchange, and have the A1044 take over the abandoned section of the A174 to end at the same place. From what I'm aware, most people on the Parkway end up turning onto the A19 anyway at this junction.

Can anybody shed some light on what the actual situation is here?
KeithW

Re: A1044/B1380 confusion?

Post by KeithW »

Joeey wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 01:00 I've been browsing the roads around Teesside and I've noticed that the mapbox on the page for the A1044 shows it running along Low Lane from the junction with the Parkway (Grid Ref NZ479149) to Blue Bell Interchange (Grid Ref NZ491154). Interesting the mapbox on the B1380 page shows this same section as a gap in the route.

Part of me wonders if this is a numbering quirk as prior to the construction of the Parkway, the A1044 started at the Blue Bell Interchange on what was then the A174, and headed west along Low Lane until where the Parkway junction is now, and then along the final stretch of the B1380 to reach its original route to the south of Teesside Industrial Estate (Grid Ref NZ459133).

It would appear though that the signage at either end suggests that this section of Low Lane is part of the B1380.

Perhaps more interestingly, if this section of Low Lane is in fact the A1044, it would give us a useless multiplex, as the A174 terminates end-on with the A1044 to the north of Teesside Industrial Estate (Grid Ref NZ453149), meaning that the A1044 then multiplexes along the A174 through the Parkway Interchange (Grid Ref NZ465151), and then up to the junction where the route reappears to head towards the Blue Bell Interchange. Realistically if this were the case, then it would've made more sense to have the A174 terminate at the Parkway Interchange, and have the A1044 take over the abandoned section of the A174 to end at the same place. From what I'm aware, most people on the Parkway end up turning onto the A19 anyway at this junction.

Can anybody shed some light on what the actual situation is here?
Prior to the building of the Parkway the A174 followed Ladgate Lane (now B1380) to the Blue Bell roundabout where it turned right and rand down Acklam Road to Acklam where it turned left along Mandale Road (A1130) to Thornaby.

The A1044 started on the Blue Bell Roundabout and ran down Leven Bank to the A19 at Yarm.

Its all there in Sabre maps
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 3,-0.62005,

When the Parkway first opened the A174 ended at the junction with the A19. The A1044 ran down Low Lane to Yarm, the A1045 ran from the A1044 north to Thornaby.

The original route of the A19 ran from Crathorne through Yarm, Eaglescliffe, Stockton on Tees (down the High Street) to Billingham.

The Parkway was extended west to the new town of Ingleby Barwick some years later, at that time I was living darn sarf at the time so I cant give you an exact date.
Joeey

Post by Joeey »

KeithW wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 08:41 Prior to the building of the Parkway the A174 followed Ladgate Lane (now B1380) to the Blue Bell roundabout where it turned right and rand down Acklam Road to Acklam where it turned left along Mandale Road (A1130) to Thornaby.

The A1044 started on the Blue Bell Roundabout and ran down Leven Bank to the A19 at Yarm.

Its all there in Sabre maps
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 3,-0.62005,

When the Parkway first opened the A174 ended at the junction with the A19. The A1044 ran down Low Lane to Yarm, the A1045 ran from the A1044 north to Thornaby.

The original route of the A19 ran from Crathorne through Yarm, Eaglescliffe, Stockton on Tees (down the High Street) to Billingham.

The Parkway was extended west to the new town of Ingleby Barwick some years later, at that time I was living darn sarf at the time so I cant give you an exact date.
So presumably when the Parkway was extended past the A19, the A1044 was then rerouted to meet the A174 end-on in Thornaby as it does now.

What I'm interested in though is the section of Low Lane that heads west from the Blue Bell Roundabout to meet the Parkway. I was under the impression that this was part of the B1380 (as per the signage), however on both the B1380 and A1044 pages here on Sabre, the mapbox shows that this section of road is numbered as the A1044, as does the ever-reliable Google Maps (sarcasm obviously).

If this section of road is indeed the A1044, then surely would be given two useless multiplexes, the first being the A174-A1044 multiplex from the Low Lane Junction on the Parkway to the A174's terminus in Thornaby, and then the A1044-B1380 multiplex along Low Lane from the Parkway to the A1044's terminus at the Blue Bell Roundabout?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Some of us remember A1045.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: A1045 :

The A1045 ran through the Yorkshire town of Thornaby-on-Tees.

The road started on the A1044 to the north of the village of Maltby and headed north along Thornaby Road into Thornaby-on-Tees itself. It ended to the north of town, between the railway station and the Victoria Bridge over the Tees. The road it ended

... Read More