Nissan A19 signage

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ph8034

Nissan A19 signage

Post by ph8034 »

I noticed while driving north on the A19, approaching Testo’s, there’s a sign where Nissan is described as “Car Plant” but then other signs later on still say “Nissan”. In the latter cases “Nissan” appears to be a temporary sticker.

Anyone know the story here? ISTR Nissan always being signed by name but perhaps there’s a new rule about keeping it generic?
tom66

Re: Nissan A19 signage

Post by tom66 »

JLR is signed on the A45 as "Land Rover":
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4456859 ... 384!8i8192

Not to mention tourist destinations like "Legoland", "Alton Towers", and often business parks get signed with their own name.

So I don't think there's a rule against it.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

In the Midlands, not only is the Toyota factory signposted “Toyota”, but it has a multi-level interchange between two trunk roads named after it, and the name appears on signs:
Toyota Island

From the SABRE Wiki: Toyota Island :

The Toyota Island is the interchange between the A38 and A50, also home to Derby with Burton Services. It is junction 4 of the A50.

As the name suggests it also gives access to the Toyota factory. A curious feature is that the bridges over and under the A38 appear to be designed to allow the addition of a third lane southbound but not northbound. There is a historical explanation for why this should be true of the northernmost bridge but not the others.

... Read More
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

And the Ex-GM Europe, now Stellantis plant at Ellesmere Port is still referred to on the M53 as Vauxhall.
Built for comfort, not speed.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

ph8034 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 17:07 I noticed while driving north on the A19, approaching Testo’s, there’s a sign where Nissan is described as “Car Plant” but then other signs later on still say “Nissan”. In the latter cases “Nissan” appears to be a temporary sticker.

Anyone know the story here? ISTR Nissan always being signed by name but perhaps there’s a new rule about keeping it generic?
Well go back far enough and it was Datsun and I seem to recall the Datsun brand was relaunched about 10 years ago. I believe they used that name in India and Russia.
delinquentwoody

Post by delinquentwoody »

Strangely enough, 'Forest Pines Roundabout' next to M180 J4 (named after the adjacent Forest Pines Hotel) has recently had overstickers placed over the roundabout names on the signs renaming it 'Briggate Lodge Roundabout', which I understand was a former name of the hotel from many years ago. Many locals have always referred to the roundabout by both names, but seems strange to remove the current hotel name for a former hotel name.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

delinquentwoody wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 21:23 Strangely enough, 'Forest Pines Roundabout' next to M180 J4 (named after the adjacent Forest Pines Hotel) has recently had overstickers placed over the roundabout names on the signs renaming it 'Briggate Lodge Roundabout', which I understand was a former name of the hotel from many years ago. Many locals have always referred to the roundabout by both names, but seems strange to remove the current hotel name for a former hotel name.
Depends on your definition of 'recently' but it's been officially known as Briggate Lodge roundabout since at least 2008? I've never known it signed as anything else, although I freely admit everyone calls it Forest Pines
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I'm sure that the New Holland factory in Basildon was signed as such in the 90s but today it's signed as a generic Tractor Plant. Maybe they thought people might confuse Bas Vegas with rural Lincolnshire?
https://goo.gl/maps/gtZ9jkWTjGD1Lape9
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I think the Toyota plant off the A38/A50 junction near Derby is signed as "Toyota". Though it may have changed since I was last there.

There are certainly cases of signs on motorways being changed to reflect changes in the name of football stadiums when the sponsorship changes.