East Leeds Orbital Route

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: East Leeds Orbital Route

Post by c2R »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 21:40

I did note last week that the new retail park called “the springs” at Thorpe Park at the M1J46 is to get 2 new express bus services the X26 and X27 both serving Thorpe Park then various parts of crossgates then limited stop on the A64 into Leeds City centre in under 20 mins, I guess a big bonus of these developments are new public transport routes which I suspect Leeds City council will be hoping the commuters will try and use rather than clog the A64 up further.
There's also a proposal to build a new railway station between Cross Gates and Garforth at Thorpe Park, which will provide services to Leeds City even more quickly...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Happened to go into Leeds today from Harrogate area, and there's a bit 'East Leeds Orbital Route Phase 1' sign up just before the A61/A6120 roundabout at Moortown. Looks like they're starting with the Hamburgerisation (sorry!) and 'branding' it as part of the ELOR.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The first section of the MLLR, between the Austhorpe Interchange and the Springs roudnabout is now open - D2 but coned down to one lane with temporary 20 mph limit.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Good to hear that’s opened as many in Leeds were saying it would be running late! I guess it will give nice easy access to the M1 for Longs of Leeds HGV’s.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

NICK 647063 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:09 Good to hear that’s opened as many in Leeds were saying it would be running late! I guess it will give nice easy access to the M1 for Longs of Leeds HGV’s.

They could still be right - the link between the Springs Roundabout and Manston Lane is still very much under construction... It's too dark to get photos in the evenings this time of year, unfortunately...
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Oh ok is it open then or not sorry I’m a little confused, the section between J46 and the springs was opened for access to the retail park back in October, I just assumed when you said Austhorpe interchange you meant Manston lane as that’s called Austhorpe road further up in crossgates, the whole section of the MLLR was supposed to be open this weekend as the new X27 bus service runs via the new link road and Crossgates then the A64 into Leeds, the X26 started back in October but the X27 can only start when the link road opens.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

NICK 647063 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:21 Oh ok is it open then or not sorry I’m a little confused, the section between J46 and the springs was opened for access to the retail park back in October, I just assumed when you said Austhorpe interchange you meant Manston lane as that’s called Austhorpe road further up in crossgates, the whole section of the MLLR was supposed to be open this weekend as the new X27 bus service runs via the new link road and Crossgates then the A64 into Leeds, the X26 started back in October but the X27 can only start when the link road opens.
In that case, no, probably nothings changed since the end of October - I've not been this way since November and before that September and didn't think that the first bit of the link (from the M1 junction known as Austhorpe Interchange to The Springs Roundabout) was open in November - it definitely wasn't in September

If you're saying that it's been open longer than that then I'm happy to believe that (it was dark in November as well so I couldn't swear to its status!). The section from the Springs Roundabout to Manston Lane doesn't look ready to open this weekend, if that was the plan...

Interesting also that white signs have been put up initially.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Doing a bit of googling: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorkshir ... 5500560793

Yorkshire Post said that it was open on October 11, with the rest of the MLLR opening on 7th December...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

c2R wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:29 Doing a bit of googling: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorkshir ... 5500560793

Yorkshire Post said that it was open on October 11, with the rest of the MLLR opening on 7th December...
Yeah... That's not realistic. There's not even any blacktop down north of the springs. Got some photos earlier, will upload them when I get a minute...
Euan

Post by Euan »

c2R wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:29 Doing a bit of googling: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorkshir ... 5500560793

You wouldn't typically expect a precise opening deadline date two months in advance, maybe more like a range of about a week or slightly more as an opening date. Anything could lead to an unforeseen delay in the opening within the space of a few weeks.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Apparently the springs section to manston lane is now delayed until February....
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

That doesn't surprise me - there's no blacktop or anything so it's nowhere near ready.

Here are some photos from the other week:

Road from Thorpe Park approaching the enlarged western dumbbell, with ADS for the junction

The enlarged western dumbbell itself.

The MLLR, with its road signs identifying itself as the William Parkin Way

Looking north up the MLLR, by the Springs

Austhorpe Interchange ADS from MLLR

The Springs Car Park next to the MLLR looking north

The Springs Roundabout

Finally, the view north with the incomplete footbridge/cycleway overbridge and springs roundabout in the foreground
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Thanks for the pictures!
c2R wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 09:31 Austhorpe Interchange ADS from MLLR
Leeds still can’t quite get direction signs right. Is this road primary or not? Everything else says no, but this sign says maybe.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Sigh. Sign design isn't for everyone is it...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Great pictures!

Regarding the primary-ness of it; are they putting in non-primary signs for very local aspects (eg the retail park) but waiting until the road is finished and connected to the A64 before putting in primary route signs?

Wondered how much width there is under that footbridge, as an indicator of room for expansion. Would seriously wager we're here in 5 or 6 years time saying the roundabouts should've been grade separated (rather than A1237-style).

And Chris, yes, you're right about Leeds signage. It's always been bad with strange destinations for routes - nowhere outside the county bar York & Harrogate anywhere in Leeds; North, West & South only - always comes across a bit parochial.

Stu
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

To start with this will only link Manston Lane so will be non primary only when it links to the A64 and up to the existing A6120 shall it become primary...... now I would like to say Leeds City council we’re Just planning ahead but that can’t be true ! For some reason they have over the last year replaced many huge signs on the A64 and A6120 on the approaches to roundabouts around Seacroft, knowing that these will need fully replacing with the opening of the ELOR in 2021 as only the A64 will remain primary with the old A6120 downgraded to B status meaning signs will need to be white, what’s more baffling is the fact the old signs were only probably 10 years old and are exactly the same as the new ones absolutely nothing different so not sure why these were replaced, many were replaced when the Bramham to Wetherby section became motorway to include the A1(M) so cannot understand the latest replacement.

I noticed last week they have also painted new lane markings on the A64 approach to Seacroft from York with the right lane marked A6120 and the left lane now A64 but as we know this is the A6120 A64 multiplex to the next roundabout, it will be the A64 after 2021 of course, I think it is basically to make clear it’s the left lane to continue on the A64 into Leeds but to be fully correct it should be (A64) like it is at the Barwick Road Roundabout.

As for the capacity of the new A6120 East Leeds Orbital I really think it will struggle at these roundabouts with all the development planned, the A64 roundabout is massive and will have many sets of traffic signals, time will tell but it’s simply a road built to open up land for development which with a few GSJ’s could have done much more.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I suspect that the roundabouts around the Springs will quickly be swamped with traffic when all the houses are built and when the road is actually functional as a Leeds eastern bypass....
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Stopped by here today:

Things moving on a bit - roundabout sign on Manston Lane is white (you can *just* make it out next to one of the traffic signal head orange covers) so it's going to open initially as non primary.

I'm now not particularly sure why they've built the bridge though - looks like there's some lovely traffic signals going in just behind it for some access to new housing and/or sheds.

Also, and I didn't take a photo of this, but the pedestrian access is all wrong to the new Springs shopping centre - the pedestrian desire lines from the business park to the Springs (for lunchtime M&S/bars) lead you either down the entrance road (no paths), or across a flower bed (where there is a path, but it's just all orientated wrongly), while the main "boardwalk" type entrance leads you straight down onto the north western dumbbell of Austhorpe Interchange - which really isn't where the pedestrians are going to be coming from.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

It will definitely be opening as non primary with white signs until the ELOR links into it, it seems like Leeds don’t mind wasting money on replacing signs, most on the existing ring road have just been replaced and will all need replacing when the Orbital Road opens as they will need to be white non primary ones..... the East Leeds Orbital Road main construction is due to start later this year.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

c2R wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 21:05Also, and I didn't take a photo of this, but the pedestrian access is all wrong to the new Springs shopping centre - the pedestrian desire lines from the business park to the Springs (for lunchtime M&S/bars) lead you either down the entrance road (no paths), or across a flower bed (where there is a path, but it's just all orientated wrongly), while the main "boardwalk" type entrance leads you straight down onto the north western dumbbell of Austhorpe Interchange - which really isn't where the pedestrians are going to be coming from.
Having been a couple of times, I'd say you're right. It was designed to be reached by car and to look nice while you drive up to it. Actually walking to it is something its designers did not consider.