Wrong road numbers on signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

There is an absolute cracker in Amersham Old town as you

Post by A303Chris »

approach the Tesco roundabout from the West. While the sign has all the right road numbers and places on it, the road numbers have been asigned to the wrong towns. If you follow the towns you be ok, but if you follow the road numbers you get in a right mess.

The sign has Aylesbury A355 instead of the A413, Beaconsfield as the A413 instead of the A355, Watford as the A416 instead of the A404 and Berkhampstead as the A404 instead of the A416.

It does make you wonderwho checks the design before the signs are made
si404

Re: There is an absolute cracker in Amersham Old town as you

Post by si404 »

A303Chris wrote:approach the Tesco roundabout from the West. While the sign has all the right road numbers and places on it, the road numbers have been asigned to the wrong towns. If you follow the towns you be ok, but if you follow the road numbers you get in a right mess.

The sign has Aylesbury A355 instead of the A413, Beaconsfield as the A413 instead of the A355, Watford as the A416 instead of the A404 and Berkhampstead as the A404 instead of the A416.
i pass this sign often, and never noticed it!

however, that's correct, just unclear, as way to Watford is the same as the way to Berko, ditto Aylesbury and Beaconsfield. It should be:

straight on: Watford, Berkhampstead (A404, A416)
right:Beaconsfield, Aylesbury A355 (A413)

i'll go out tomorrow and get lots of photos of the signage for that roundabout as it includes some odd things.

Simon
c00ky

Post by c00ky »

Just spotted that A617(M) in Newcastle today. I know it's been noted before, but the sign actually says "Motorway A617(M), Gateshead A167". Come on, it's the same damn road!
paully

Post by paully »

i was in york recently and on a roundabout (near the tesco extra) the A1036 south of the city centre was signposted:

leeds
selby
city bypass
A1

(i think these destinations are correct but may be wrong)
but should read:

leeds
selby
city bypass
(A1)
A1036
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Few I saw today.

A6011 near Trent Bridge cricket ground, and the hallowed turf of City Ground, still signed A52 as is half of West Bridgford despite it being A6011 for years. Didn't have my cam but Col may have a snap - it's near the one in his avatar.

A52 between Radcliffe on Trent and the A46 island (Saxondale) is signed

Grantham A52
Newark A46

both without brackets and it's not a multiplex.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Here, heading down Spitfire Way towards the A260/A20 roundabout, is a "wrong" sign.

It is as follows:

Straight ahead:
Dover
A20

Left turn:
Canterbury
A260

Right turn:
(M20)
Channel Tunnel
Folkestone
A20