A1 (M) Darrington - Hook Moor

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tommyd49

A1 (M) Darrington - Hook Moor

Post by tommyd49 »

Is it open yet?
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

Well, its open between Hook Moor and the temporary terminal to the south of Fairburn.

The southern section has apparently been complete for about a month now but remains closed because the signs aren't working properly (or some such nonsense....)

I got very excited this afternoon though on my way back from Norwich. The greying out on the signs before J40 has been removed, which suggests that the junction is open. Its not of course, but this weekend perhaps?
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
CJ

Post by CJ »

MAJOR WEST YORKSHIRE MOTORWAY INTERCHANGE OPENS TO TRAFFIC

A £35 million pound three-level motorway interchange, which forms the centrepiece of one of the biggest motorway upgrade projects in the North of England, opens to traffic this evening (13 January).

The opening of Holmfield Interchange at Ferrybridge in West Yorkshire marks a major milestone in the final stages of the £245 million Darrington to Dishforth A1 upgrade project, which is due for final completion later this year.

Holmfield forms the junction of the new A1 (M) and M62 motorways, and also includes a network of link roads connecting the two motorways. The interchange, which has been constructed in the shadow of the distinctive cooling towers of Ferrybridge power station, provides for improved traffic flows on one of the busiest motorway intersections in the UK. It replaces the former A1/M62 junction 33 at Ferrybridge.

The opening of Holmfield Interchange this evening also allows contractors to switch traffic onto new stretches of the upgraded A1 (M) between Ferrybridge and Brotherton. This section of new motorway also includes Lagentium Bridge which provides a major crossing of the River Aire near Fairburn.

Highways Agency Project Manager Alec Briggs said:

"Holmfield Interchange is one of the most complex motorway junctions in the north of England. The opening today also marks the switch of traffic onto stretches of the new A1 (M) motorway.

"This is a significant milestone for the Darrington to Dishforth upgrade project which aims to improve traffic flows on this critical North-South route through Yorkshire."

Holmfield Interchange features:

* Four miles of link roads connecting the A1(M) and the M62 which criss-cross over and under each other, using seven bridges

* The 22 wine glass shaped piers supporting the bridges were specially designed to reflect the curved shape of the nearby cooling towers at Ferrybridge power station. The design of the piers was approved by the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE)

* The highest pier is 17 metres tall and weighs around 275 tonnes.

* 61,000 trees are being planted on the embankments and areas between the link roads

* 700,000 tonnes of fill material were used to construct the embankments. Around 90 percent of the fill material was made up of shale from the spoil heaps from the nearby Prince of Wales Colliery

* Around 150,000 vehicles per day will drive through Holmfield Interchange

Following the opening of the new A1 (M) Ferrybridge-Hook Moor section, the old A1 is to be re-numbered as the A162 forming a local road linking the communities of Ferrybridge, Fairburn and Brotherton.

The Darrington to Dishforth project aims to ease congestion and improve safety by upgrading two busy sections of A1 dual carriageway to motorway standard between Wetherby and Walshford and Ferrybridge and Hook Moor. The 4.7 mile Wetherby Walshford stretch was completed in summer 2005.
ABeaton

Post by ABeaton »

Hooay! It is finally open! :D I hope it is anyway.
Dartford, the town with 4 by-passes.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Oh no - opening it on Friday 13th is just asking for it! Don't expect a lot of joy with this stretch of motorway. :wink:
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

All this new & old A1 stuff sounds very confusing but, exciting also to a non local like myself.
I will have to explore both old & new next summer, by which time hopefully, most of the tidying and landscaping works will have been completed.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Roadtripper_Ian

Going to Rotherham tomorrow morning. Will report back but sorry no pictures this time around.....
CJ

Post by CJ »

It'd be interesting to know whether it's actually fully open with a 70mph speed limit, or whether it's still coned down with a 50 limit.
Roadtripper_Ian

I'd predict the latter - there'll be a contraflow past the temporary terminal at Fairburn.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

It wasn't yesterday afternoon.

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
Roadtripper_Ian

Its finally open! And as soon as you get past the contraflow under the bridge at Fairburn its 3 lanes and a 70 limit.....

They don't hang around either - a vast army of workers already tearing down the ramp which carried the temporary exit up to the A1 alignment.

And I was under the impression that all the slips at Holmfield were above the motorway - was surprised to see the M62E > A1(M)S slip go underneath.

And finally that J40 southbound slip at the end - holy **** thats insane! I have never seen a shorter merge and the angle which looked sharp from the slip road is even worse from the motorway - must be close to 30 degrees! Expect that lane to be coned off very shortly - a fatal accident here is sadly inevitable.
Ian198

Post by Ian198 »

Is an exact diagram available antwhere?
tommyd49

Post by tommyd49 »

Ian198 wrote:Is an exact diagram available antwhere?
CBRD Motorway Database.
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

I don't see the problem with the southern merge. There isn't gonna be too much traffic, and it people are sensible, there is no problem.

The M62 (W) to A1 (N) merge is the most stupid slip road ever though, its long, but the actual merge area is tiny on the slow lane.
Roadtripper_Ian

dizzyspoon wrote:I don't see the problem with the southern merge. There isn't gonna be too much traffic, and it people are sensible, there is no problem.
Therein lies the problem! Don't need lots of traffic, just 2 cars being prats.
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

time will tell, but personally i dont think it will be a problem.

i have loads of pics of the new bit if you want them uploading.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

dizzyspoon wrote:time will tell, but personally i dont think it will be a problem.

Yes, please! :D
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

dizzyspoon wrote:i have loads of pics of the new bit if you want them uploading.
Yeah, go for it!
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

dizzyspoon wrote:time will tell, but personally i dont think it will be a problem.

You are very welcome to upload them to the picture galleries - try this album - A1(M) DBFO.

For instructions on uploading pictures, see here.

Cheers,

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

can't be bothered with that, but feel free to upload any of the following pics into your site :)

http://www.vibeone.co.uk/a1m/

they are being uploaded now, and will all be up within an hour (apparently)