M65 extension into Yorkshire

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Re: M65 extension into Yorkshire

Post by Osthagen »

I wonder if it'd be possible to take the M65 further north, meeting the A1(M) at Dishforth for the A19?

Surely this would provide a fast link between the North East and North West, thus taking pressure off the M62?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Yorkshire Dales national park in the way.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

wrinkly wrote:Yorkshire Dales national park in the way.
Routing a M65 extension would be very difficult. It could not be routed via Earby and Skipton as the Yorkshire Dales National Park would then be in the way, including the popular attraction of Bolton Abbey. Any crossing over Rombalds Moor would probably be blocked because it would pass too close to the Cow and Calf Rocks on Ilkley Moor. Even if the M65 followed the Aire Valley, which could be done in part by upgrading the dual carriageway sections of the A629 and A650 to motorway, there could then be the issues of the beauty spot at Otley Chevin, the runways at Leeds Bradford Airport and the steep hill at Pool, if the M65 was to curve northeastwards towards Harrogate and Dishforth.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Not quite new news, but an article of interest:
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... sion_plan/

I'd not seen that map before anywhere, and it is rather noddy - and we know it'd never happen, but it takes into account a number of ideas that've been discussed on here.
Berk

Post by Berk »

It’s a pity people have to be so miserable and ‘National Park’ this and that (what does that remind you of, something beginning with ‘B’ perhaps?? :twisted:). I think NSIP projects should override National Park considerations - both in fact, and in law. No-one goes to the trouble of promoting these sorts of projects for fun.

The route would improve access to Lancs from the east of the Pennines, as well as access to Leeds Bradford Airport. It would fix quite a few problems, from my point of view.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

It does look good, but I’d personally prefer it to take a more northerly route. Just personal preference.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Berk

Post by Berk »

McNessA720 wrote:It does look good, but I’d personally prefer it to take a more northerly route. Just personal preference.
If you get more northerly, you’re talking A65, or A66, surely. :?:
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Berk wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:It does look good, but I’d personally prefer it to take a more northerly route. Just personal preference.
If you get more northerly, you’re talking A65, or A66, surely. :?:
No. I was thinking that it could run closer to the A59.
- Richard Nixon
Berk

Post by Berk »

Oh yeah, forgot that one. In fact, it might be more of a goer - provided it doesn’t get ‘National Parked’.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Berk wrote:Oh yeah, forgot that one. In fact, it might be more of a goer - provided it doesn’t get ‘National Parked’.
The M27 passes though the New Forest National Park.
- Richard Nixon
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

...and received hundreds of complaints because of it!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote:...and received hundreds of complaints because of it!
And so did the A30 when it bypassed Okehampton.

My point is, these are roads that are part of the strategic network, therefore of national importance. If we’d made the same considerations in the 1960s, it’s likely the M62 wouldn’t have been built (and so on).

To suggest these schemes lack merit, or ‘must be’ abandoned when they just clip the edge of National Park lands (or occupy a very small, or remote part of them) seems deeply flawed as well as reactionary.
Last edited by Berk on Fri Dec 08, 2017 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Berk wrote:
Johnathan404 wrote:...and received hundreds of complaints because of it!
And so did the A30 when it bypassed Okehampton.

My point is, these are roads are part of the strategic network, therefore of national importance. If we’d made the same considerations in the 1960s, it’s likely the M62 wouldn’t have been built (and so on).

To suggest these schemes lack merit, or ‘must be’ abandoned when they just clip the edge of National Park lands (or occupy a very small, or remote part of them) seems deeply flawed as well as reactionary.
Did anyone protest or complain about the small section of M6 that lies within the Lake District National Park?

Really, I don’t see why having motorways in NPs is such an issue. Are motorways really that damaging to the landscape? I think not. I mean the M6 across the Lune Gorge, for example, really isn’t impactful on the scenery. In fact, Call me weird, but I’d say it enhances it.
- Richard Nixon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

McNessA720 wrote:Call me weird, but I’d say it enhances it.
Agreed - a proper motorway is a thing of beauty.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Exactly. Unless you have a very close line of sight, the motorway isn’t usually that visible from a distance.
jackal

Post by jackal »

You can see that Mr Jones' route avoids the Dales NP (in green) and indeed the Nidderdale AONB (not shown but adjoins to the SE). A more northerly route would enter one or both of these, and furthermore would of less use to the main population centres in the area, so it's hard to see why you'd want to do that.

I think it's too ambitious to have the split at the eastern end, and would rather see one route intermediate between them across to the A1/A64 interchange:
A1(M) A64 - Copy.png
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

stu531 wrote:Not quite new news, but an article of interest:

I'd not seen that map before anywhere, and it is rather noddy - and we know it'd never happen, but it takes into account a number of ideas that've been discussed on here.
The article goes on to report a local councillor saying we should concentrate on the railway to Skipton instead of a motorway, well that should sort out the issue of the lack of decent transport links across this area of the Pennines :bang:

The M65 should link up to The A64/A1 junction as another poster has said, trying to get a motorway anywhere near the Conservative stronghold of Harrogate will never happen.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

[quote="McNessA720"Did anyone protest or complain about the small section of M6 that lies within the Lake District National Park?[/quote]

Can you show me where that is on a map as I can't find it.

The National Park has been extended to abut the motorway but the motorway has NEVER, EVER gone through the park! :bang:
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Pendlemac wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:Did anyone protest or complain about the small section of M6 that lies within the Lake District National Park?
Can you show me where that is on a map as I can't find it.

The National Park has been extended to abut the motorway but the motorway has NEVER, EVER gone through the park! :bang:
It does, actually. South of Penrith and close to the village of Thrimby.
- Richard Nixon

Post by 6637 »

stu531 wrote:Not quite new news, but an article of interest:

If I'm not misreading that map, it seems to plough directly through loads and loads of existing urban areas?