M65 extension into Yorkshire

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ScottB5411

Re: M65 extension into Yorkshire

Post by ScottB5411 »

Extension to A64/A1(M) definitely the best idea, don't think a spur to the M606 is doable but certainly to Leeds with some sort of ring road update would be and also providing a decent link to LBA and opening it up to the residents of Lancashire and Cumbria and making it more accessible to the people of Yorkshire. It will be a fight to do it, but it would certainly also provide another well needed trans pennine route to take some pressure off the M62
Last edited by ScottB5411 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ScottB5411 wrote:Extension to A64/A1(M) definitely the best idea, don't think a spur to the M606 is doable but certainly to Leeds with some sort of ring road update would be ...
I drove round the Leeds ring road today. Homebase is on the other side of the city, and it takes ages to get there!

That road is a disgrace; Manchester has the M60 and we get the A612112010 with roundabouts, traffic lights, and bits of S2.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Leeds definitely needs a motorway outer ring road…
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Owain wrote:
I drove round the Leeds ring road today. Homebase is on the other side of the city, and it takes ages to get there!

That road is a disgrace; Manchester has the M60 and we get the A612112010 with roundabouts, traffic lights, and bits of S2.
The only decent part is the multiplex with the A647 Pudsey and Stanningley Bypass, but you have then to endure frequent tailbacks at Dawsons Corner.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The Leeds ORR must have been great in 1940.

The fact it isn't even fully dualled is embarrassing. Motorway City of the 70s despite only having two lengths motorways in the city proper... pah. Oh, and giving them four numbers to make it sound like more was just cheating.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Robert Kilcoyne

Bryn666 wrote:The Leeds ORR must have been great in 1940.

The fact it isn't even fully dualled is embarrassing. Motorway City of the 70s despite only having two lengths motorways in the city proper... pah. Oh, and giving them four numbers to make it sound like more was just cheating.
And it is not even a complete Outer Ring...there is a rather large gap between Belle Isle and Colton and you would have to use a motorway to fill part of it...

If the M1 Kirkhamgate to Dishforth extension had been built as intended originally, Leeds would at least have a decent western bypass, and there would be better access to Bradford and Leeds Bradford Airport from the south, which would have also relieved Junction 26 of the M62.
Last edited by Robert Kilcoyne on Sun Dec 10, 2017 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

More realistic would be dualling the A6086 from Colne to the A650, which has been improved in recent decades with by passes of Keighley and Bingley.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Glenn A wrote:More realistic would be dualling the A6086 from Colne to the A650, which has been improved in recent decades with by passes of Keighley and Bingley.
If it were renumbered A650 to the end of the M65, it would add a certain numerical consistency to the route!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

If you want to take a cheap and nasty approach to linking the Calder Valley and Yorkshire, then I would dual the A6068 entirely (and give it a more important-sounding number), and upgrade the A56/A59 between Colne and the A1(M) (to HQD2 standards of course).

That’s the bare minimum I’d want for these routes, I think extending the M65 across to Yorkshire would be a much better idea. Of course, you could incorporate the A6068 dualling into this.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

McNessA720 wrote:If you want to take a cheap and nasty approach to linking the Calder Valley and Yorkshire, then I would dual the A6068 entirely (and give it a more important-sounding number), and upgrade the A56/A59 between Colne and the A1(M) (to HQD2 standards of course).

That’s the bare minimum I’d want for these routes, I think extending the M65 across to Yorkshire would be a much better idea. Of course, you could incorporate the A6068 dualling into this.
Like the idea, but if funds were available, I'd like to see the A64 dualled from Leeds to the A1, Leeds ORR completely dualled, the A6068 dualled and renamed the A650, and the A61 dualled from Leeds to Harrogate.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The link between Colne and the watered down Aire Valley Motorway (now the A629/A650) has never progressed beyond a thick line on a map.

It baffles me why as it is not a long or difficult gap to fill, the terrain is no worse than that of the M62 and it would provide huge traffic relief to Colne which can only improve the town.
Bryn

Berk

Post by Berk »

Someone cries “National Park” as soon as the plans are put forward (I’m guessing). Actually, it’s well outside of the park boundary, from what I can tell.
Last edited by Berk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's not in a national park so they would be idiots if they did.

There may be a fear that filling this gap will mean having to sort out Shipley and the tiny S2 gap at Hard Ings Road though.
Bryn

Berk

Post by Berk »

Wasn’t Hard Ings being S4’d?? As for Shipley, I would try and repurpose the B6269 & B6144. But you’d need a new link at the northern end, and probably a swinging-ball job.
Robert Kilcoyne

Bryn666 wrote:The link between Colne and the watered down Aire Valley Motorway (now the A629/A650) has never progressed beyond a thick line on a map.

It baffles me why as it is not a long or difficult gap to fill, the terrain is no worse than that of the M62 and it would provide huge traffic relief to Colne which can only improve the town.
As you cannot extend the current mainline of the M65 further east of its current terminus at Junction 14 (the infamous North Valley Road comes to mind) I would reroute the M65 after Junction 13 creating a spur to Junction 14. The motorway would curve to the north of Colne, between the town and Foulridge, then follow the A6068 from Laneshaw Bridge. I have travelled along the A6068 in the past and the terrain is in my view not as challenging as that on the M62, or indeed on roads such as the A58 and A62.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Ironically the North Valley Road is all box shed development that arrived after the notion of an eastwards M65 died. There are few houses along it but several car dealers and supermarkets.

The big problem is some eejit plonked the huge Boundary Mill complex in the way about 10 years ago. Likewise some eejit wants to plonk an Ikea in the way of a westward completion of the M65 at Preston.

I get the feeling people don't want the M65 being any longer.
Bryn

Berk

Post by Berk »

I would hope (in an ideal world ) the DCLG/DFT would issue a circular recognising the importance of sites like that, and protecting them from development.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Berk wrote:Wasn’t Hard Ings being S4’d??
Yes, discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37600&hilit=Hard+ings
jackal

Post by jackal »

McNessA720 wrote:If you want to take a cheap and nasty approach to linking the Calder Valley and Yorkshire, then I would dual the A6068 entirely (and give it a more important-sounding number), and upgrade the A56/A59 between Colne and the A1(M) (to HQD2 standards of course).
Not exactly cheap given it would be much longer than a route across north Leeds. But as it would go through an NP and AONB, it could well be nasty...
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Owain wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:Extension to A64/A1(M) definitely the best idea, don't think a spur to the M606 is doable but certainly to Leeds with some sort of ring road update would be ...

Yes, I've driven to Ilkley a few times, coming from the M1.

I've come to the conclusion that simply going through the centre of Leeds is quicker than trying to make my way through the south and west. Perhaps I should try going round the north and east sometime !