LED vs SOX cut-off/spill angles

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Cian

LED vs SOX cut-off/spill angles

Post by Cian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 16:54

I'm not sure I've got the right terminology for the title there...

My local council has begun LED rollout fully now and as part of it, is performing all casual replacements with new LED lanterns atop the existing poles. The majority of lighting being replaced is SOX as they did a full rollout of this (including lantern replacement on existing poles in many cases - some are now on their third bracket and lantern!) in the 1990s; but there was a period of CFL lamps in existing lanterns.

I'm fairly convinced that the light does not spill as far from the lights as before - but this may be because it isn't as obvious due to being white vs orange. My own street has ridiculously spaced lights so if this is actually the case, the unlit gaps are going to get wider

Is this likely to be the case? Can't ID the lanterns because I've no experience in doing so, should there be a significant variance there.

Skye

Re: LED vs SOX cut-off/spill angles

Post by Skye » Thu Jan 10, 2019 17:28

Councils should redesign their lighting schemes to compensate for LED lanterns with cut-off light distribution patterns. This usually means installing new columns at a narrower spacing between them. Most of them don't as it is not a priority for the funds they get.

Cian

Post by Cian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 23:32

I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining stuff before I started moaning about it.

Local councillor, who is an electrician and I'd hope might know enough to refuse to pass on something stupid about lighthing, has put a motion down in relation to ensuring that replacements are equivalent in coverage due to me asking. They were involved in the SOX rollout push in the 90s so they did know what they were talking about then anyway!

ravenbluemoon

Post by ravenbluemoon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 23:06

Given they've just replaced the lantern on the side road next to my house, I can say that there's a lot more cut off compared to the original (~10 year old due to previous damage) SOX lantern. As it is right outside my kitchen and upstairs landing window, I was almost used to walking through without switching the room lights on. Now it is really too dark to do that. My neighbour is actually considering a security light for her front door as she can't see out very well at night, and so won't open the door after dark.

There's not a perceptible difference in brightness between the old and new when on the street. However in the area where it was simply a "head swap" and not a full replacement, it is noticeable that you get a very distinct dark spot between lampposts.
"Down at the Ferrybridge junction
Beneath the cooling towers a man stood hitching a ride
And in the long grass at the side of the road his son was laid asleep
He said - nothing's left to keep us in the city where we come from
Take us far away from here - looking for work and the wishing-well"

Tales of the Road - Justin Sullivan, 2003