Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by Big L » Thu Feb 07, 2019 19:15

This? Or is it just 'in the style of'? I drove past this afternoon and didn't get a good look.
Make poetry history.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 20:29

Big L wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 19:15
This? Or is it just 'in the style of'? I drove past this afternoon and didn't get a good look.
Both. It's pre-Worboys age and design, but if a sign says private road as well it basically disqualifies itself to privately made.

Berk

Post by Berk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 03:12

I am questioning this, perhaps because there aren’t any publically defined criteria as to ‘what is a private road’?? Are they simply unadopted, or just ones which have a residents’ association??

In any case, if it’s still undopted, someone will have to make a sign so it can be hung. Where else would you go to make one compliant with highways standards??

Reading

Post by Reading » Fri Feb 15, 2019 09:41

How about this - definately repainted but is it an old sign (on the left Beware Cattle)

https://goo.gl/maps/JvLAHxNG9UC2

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 01:44

Yes, it's real. They were made to be repainted and last indefinitely. If I ever feel like it I should go there.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 02:48

I'll post one pair, they are two sided and of course I got them both.

Having seen a few now they did often make ordinary p-W directions without arrows and just aim them in the right direction. These have fingerpost fittings but the signs to me look like standard directions fitted onto what was probably the old fingerpost mounts and cut down to fit the frames. Imagine each had an arrow written underneath the place name and bingo, a standard direction sign. I'd give these a 90% chance of qualifying as you don't see fingerposts using large MoT font and this size.

Here are two definite examples to compare them with. The first is a pair of panels from a blue direction sign made for a pole pointing where they go to:

The second is the actual design I reckon it is which didn't use the arrow but aimed there instead. I have seen a couple of these made like that with no arrowhead when they are aiming straight ahead:

Image The arrowhead has fallen off the end here, you can just see the shadow where it was.

I reckon my new pair are the arrowless versions of sign #2 here, as the panel is identical once you add one.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 00:06

Having checked nearby villages I can confirm these are old Oxford CC fingerposts who just copied the national style but don't quite make it. I do however believe these so far unique set in Chingford passes the test as they are not like any fingerposts.