Early Clearway Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
john1954
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 00:22

Early Clearway Signs

Post by john1954 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 00:48

Does anyone know where I can find an image of the rectangular clearway signs that were used in the late 50s to 60s?

I can only find (two) images on the net but of round signs of that genre.

I have composed what I think they were from a toy sign made in the 1960s but I cannot find an image of the real sign anywhere.

But I don't know how accurate the toys were (Minic Motorways).

I have formulated this from the toy but put fillets on the internal corners of the half arrows to match those on the round signs (the toys had square internal corners).

This is my rendering of this

Image

WHBM
Member
Posts: 7946
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 18:01
Location: London

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by WHBM » Sat Aug 15, 2020 01:10

Is this suitable ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clear ... VrO_pOvDEM

A notable issue with early Clearways (fixed later in legislation ?) is that they would have separate No Waiting signs along the road as well, which seemed a duplication, but a realisation was that the Clearway orders only applied to the carriageway, this became realised and vehicles, especially HGVs, would park on the grass verges. No Waiting applies to vehicles up on the verge/pavement as well, the full road width.

PhilC
Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 21:18
Location: West Midlands

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by PhilC » Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:13

The round signs that you mention were put on side roads where they met a clearway. I seem to remember that the arrow and the wording was a creamy off-white colour.

User avatar
DavidB
Member
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 20:32
Location: Berkshire

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by DavidB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 22:16

I've found this in Alamy Stock Photos:

G6A56G.jpg

User avatar
traffic-light-man
Member
Posts: 4184
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 18:45
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by traffic-light-man » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56

PhilC wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:13
The round signs that you mention were put on side roads where they met a clearway. I seem to remember that the arrow and the wording was a creamy off-white colour.
The colours aren't particularly clear with the grime on the front, but it's a decent close-up!

Image

clearway sign Aldershot by David Howard, on Flickr
Simon :driving:

User avatar
RJDG14
Member
Posts: 3364
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:47
Location: Swindon
Contact:

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by RJDG14 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 14:10

traffic-light-man wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56
PhilC wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:13
The round signs that you mention were put on side roads where they met a clearway. I seem to remember that the arrow and the wording was a creamy off-white colour.
The colours aren't particularly clear with the grime on the front, but it's a decent close-up!

Image

clearway sign Aldershot by David Howard, on Flickr
I've just seen this thread. Both these and the early motorway signage use an early iteration of the Transport typeface but predate the modern day post-Worboys signage, so were there already intentions to update the existing signage to something similar to the modern signage in the late 50s when motorways and clearways were first introduced but the plans hadn't been finalised?
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 30120
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by Bryn666 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 18:19

RJDG14 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 14:10
traffic-light-man wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56
PhilC wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:13
The round signs that you mention were put on side roads where they met a clearway. I seem to remember that the arrow and the wording was a creamy off-white colour.
The colours aren't particularly clear with the grime on the front, but it's a decent close-up!

Image

clearway sign Aldershot by David Howard, on Flickr
I've just seen this thread. Both these and the early motorway signage use an early iteration of the Transport typeface but predate the modern day post-Worboys signage, so were there already intentions to update the existing signage to something similar to the modern signage in the late 50s when motorways and clearways were first introduced but the plans hadn't been finalised?
Plans to update traffic signage was rumbling in the background when the 1957 TSRGD was released as an interim pending the Worboys report being converted to the 1964 TSRGD. Clearways were first experimented with around 1959-1960 so adopted principles from the Anderson committee signs.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14394
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by Chris5156 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13

The Clearway sign pictured in this thread was removed some time between 2013 and 2015.

See GSV from 2012 and GSV today.

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 30120
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by Bryn666 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40

Chris5156 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13
The Clearway sign pictured in this thread was removed some time between 2013 and 2015.

See GSV from 2012 and GSV today.
Well that's rubbish. I bet it wasn't saved either.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14394
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Early Clearway Signs

Post by Chris5156 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 14:01

Bryn666 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40
Chris5156 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13
The Clearway sign pictured in this thread was removed some time between 2013 and 2015.

See GSV from 2012 and GSV today.
Well that's rubbish. I bet it wasn't saved either.
It is - really sad. I pass that area semi-regularly now so thought I'd drop in on it, so I went looking on GSV, but it's definitely gone. Such a shame.

Post Reply