Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
James1978
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 18:12
Location: Darlington

Re: Manky Signs

Post by James1978 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 22:09

This piece of magnificence is no longer but survives on Google Earth!!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.24931 ... authuser=0

In fact there were a few good ones around Thirsk area until very recently!!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.20022 ... authuser=0

Kevin Roads
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Kevin Roads » Wed Jun 16, 2021 21:24

Spotted this a few years ago https://maps.app.goo.gl/KW2mCoPdgV3XwNdu7 but had forgotten about it until passing tonight on our first visit since covid to the good chippy in Trefnant.

Kevin Roads
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Kevin Roads » Thu Jun 17, 2021 16:22

Another fairly-manky one seen today https://maps.app.goo.gl/2uFQr5ZFodUZFYBa6 Although blue-bordered, the physical sign looks relatively new.

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 1401
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Manky Signs

Post by the cheesecake man » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58

Kevin Roads wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 16:22
Another fairly-manky one seen today https://maps.app.goo.gl/2uFQr5ZFodUZFYBa6 Although blue-bordered, the physical sign looks relatively new.
So how is (A5) a local destination? And the font looks wrong in a hard to pinpoint sort of way.

Rambo
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:56
Contact:

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Rambo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 18:31

Kevin Roads wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 21:24
Spotted this a few years ago https://maps.app.goo.gl/KW2mCoPdgV3XwNdu7 but had forgotten about it until passing tonight on our first visit since covid to the good chippy in Trefnant.
Lovely. Manky and also Pre worboys

Guillodean
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2021 23:26

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Guillodean » Sat Jun 19, 2021 17:12

These relics (by new town standards at least!) are still going strong, albeit a bit dirtier now. https://goo.gl/maps/3CCKm6QDVAwm6fFXA

This more recent sign (early 90s) has been pelted with stones from when there used to be a gravel trap at the bottom of the grass slope https://goo.gl/maps/LgCwwyoY5SxvmBiu8

OliverH
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Manky Signs

Post by OliverH » Sat Jun 19, 2021 19:48

Guillodean wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 17:12
These relics (by new town standards at least!) are still going strong, albeit a bit dirtier now. https://goo.gl/maps/3CCKm6QDVAwm6fFXA

This more recent sign (early 90s) has been pelted with stones from when there used to be a gravel trap at the bottom of the grass slope https://goo.gl/maps/LgCwwyoY5SxvmBiu8
also, the left sign from the first one is a blue border local sign.

Kevin Roads
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Kevin Roads » Sat Jun 19, 2021 21:07

Yet another blue-border (millions of 'em around here) that I pass frequently
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nkuheGHzP4bZqyDw8 and, as with many others, is mankier now than in the StreetView image.

Rambo
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:56
Contact:

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Rambo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 13:47

I suppose this could have been put in the 'out of date' or rare road signs' threads but i'll put it here. Possibly posted before by Traffic Light Man?

Noticed these the other day coming off the Rocket interchange onto Queens drive southbound. Old style side road merge warning sign? https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4054747 ... 384!8i8192

James1978
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 18:12
Location: Darlington

Re: Manky Signs

Post by James1978 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 07:28


User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 1401
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Manky Signs

Post by the cheesecake man » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12

Fetching stripy discolouration. Plus the yellow numbers seem to have been touched up. And why has GSV blurred the "no" in the "hospital no A&E" sign?

Conekicker
Member
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 22:32
Location: South Yorks

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Conekicker » Mon Jun 21, 2021 15:19

the cheesecake man wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12
Fetching stripy discolouration. Plus the yellow numbers seem to have been touched up. And why has GSV blurred the "no" in the "hospital no A&E" sign?
That thing must be over 30 years old. Visible rivets went out very late '80s or early in '90 as I vaguely recall.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.

Rambo
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:56
Contact:

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Rambo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 18:50

Some surviving blue borders on the Wirral.

Along the A540
a540_millln_2.JPG
Near Egremont
egremont_a551_churchst3.JPG
Ellesmere Port docks
ellesmereport_docks_2.JPG

James1978
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 18:12
Location: Darlington

Re: Manky Signs

Post by James1978 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:08

I still can't believe this survives so close to a major north-south route junction!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47437 ... authuser=0

crazyknightsfan
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 22:32
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Manky Signs

Post by crazyknightsfan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 01:41

James1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:08
I still can't believe this survives so close to a major north-south route junction!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47437 ... authuser=0
Just down the street, this one is even worse: https://goo.gl/maps/i4CuRP9mJRmhUP6a8
What would be under the A19 overlay?

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 31367
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Bryn666 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:05

crazyknightsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 01:41
James1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:08
I still can't believe this survives so close to a major north-south route junction!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47437 ... authuser=0
Just down the street, this one is even worse: https://goo.gl/maps/i4CuRP9mJRmhUP6a8
What would be under the A19 overlay?
Best guess is a typo as the numbers there have been fairly static.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

James1978
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 18:12
Location: Darlington

Re: Manky Signs

Post by James1978 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 18:03

crazyknightsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 01:41
James1978 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:08
I still can't believe this survives so close to a major north-south route junction!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.47437 ... authuser=0
Just down the street, this one is even worse: https://goo.gl/maps/i4CuRP9mJRmhUP6a8
What would be under the A19 overlay?
Believe it or not I'd never noticed that one though my attention whenever I go that way is always on that RCS!

User avatar
Beardy5632
Member
Posts: 1378
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 16:45
Location: Forest of Dean

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Beardy5632 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 21:32

I'm not sure when they stopped right turns onto the A40 from the B4215 but this sign seems to pre-date it.
Motorways Driven-1,4-6,8,9,18,25,32,40,42,48-50,53-58,60-62,65-67,69,73,74,77,80,90,180,181,602,606,621,876,898,1(M),8(M),38(M),48(M),57(M),58(M),64(M),74(M),92(M),167(M),168(M),194(M),195(M),601(M),627(M),635(M),666(M),823(M),1058(M),WSM.

F99 Roads Driven-1,4,6-9,15,18,19,34,38,40-42,44,46,48-51,57-59,61,63,64,68-99.

OliverH
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Manky Signs

Post by OliverH » Tue Jun 22, 2021 22:10

Beardy5632 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 21:32
I'm not sure when they stopped right turns onto the A40 from the B4215 but this sign seems to pre-date it.
whilst looking through time I'd say around 2008 to 2009.

scrogghill
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2020 09:19

Re: Manky Signs

Post by scrogghill » Thu Jun 24, 2021 02:23

A40(M)-S.JPG
A40(M) throwback in East Acton.

Does this fit the unholy trinity of botched, manky & out of date?

Post Reply