Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

L.J.D

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by L.J.D » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:54

Another botch here it should be a green ball not an arrow. Also why does it only have one signal head. As I've said before it's amazing how many councils in the UK mess up the bus exemption signals surely there's a better sollution.

Andrew F

Post by Andrew F » Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:44

Hi,
My first post here, picture below of traffic lights in Ewell, Surrey. I've never seen this before, but the lights are half switched off. There's three junctions changing in time together. One road is closed (affecting two of the sets), and the lights are switched off on the roads which are open but where the traffic no longer needs to stop. The side road lights are still switched on, even though they are facing the roads which are closed. One set is alternating green to red, the other largely stuck on green but changes occasionally, with the pedestrian lights stuck on red, one set of buttons lit with wait, the other won't light up. I can't see why they didn't shut the two sets off entirely, and it seems a very unusual arrangement, and not ideal as I have seen a car that maybe ignored the closed road signs but assumed waiting for a green light before turning around in the middle of the junction would be ok, unaware that the opposing traffic was faced with switched off lights with out of order signs on them.
Andrew

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... fic_lights

pjr10th

Post by pjr10th » Wed Oct 20, 2021 18:24

Nathan_A_RF wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 19:01
I've driven past this junction so many times yet only today I noticed these traffic lights have a straight filter arrow even though two of the three lanes here turn right. The light at the opposite side of the junction is plain green.
I hate to dredge up an old comment, but my god I hate everything about that junction:

The almost complete lack of pedestrian facilities - and those that do exist are clearly designed to inconvenience motorists to the least extent possible.

Furthermore, what is going on with the lanes on the A259 eastbound? Three lanes - two ahead and one going right. However, it's really unclear whether to access the right lane at the second junction you should go into lane three immediately or stay in lane two and then lane 3 is yours to go into after the first junction. This just seems a classic example of the UK's ability to design junctions badly.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Wed Oct 20, 2021 22:05

The UK approach to marking/warning of lane assignment at junctions too often whittles down to "get familiar with the area".

Skipsy

Post by Skipsy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 21:31

Chris5156

Post by Chris5156 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 00:29

Skipsy wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 21:31
Ugh
Comes complete with a botched direction sign on the right too. What a mess.

Skipsy

Post by Skipsy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:42

Chris5156 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 00:29
Skipsy wrote:
Ugh
Comes complete with a botched direction sign on the right too. What a mess.
That white text :roll:

MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:10

Skipsy wrote:
Ugh
If you go back to 2008, you can see the original Mellors also had green arrows but not the blue roundels. Why not just use a green ball? Both lanes can go ahead so it's unlikely that the left arrow lights independently.