Dual unprotected right turns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Re: Dual unprotected right turns

Post by Skipsy »

I just found a triple unprotected right turn here on the A4 (Car went too far forward on the street view and is blocking the lorry)
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Skipsy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 21:47 I just found a triple unprotected right turn here on the A4 (Car went too far forward on the street view and is blocking the lorry)
During a recent discussion I was having with a colleague about gap-accepting multi-lane turns, they showed me this example as they'd previously done some work in the area. It's an 'interesting' design, that's for sure. I meant to mention it here at the time but completely forgot about it, so thanks for sharing that one!
Simon
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 This resulted in the two-lane right and single-lane left, both with green arrows, coming in to a much more obvious conflict. From what I've observed, left turners normally end up giving way, or it is dealt with by who's can blast the vehicle's horn louder and longer.

Thankfully, this setup has now been decommissioned and the whole junction is set to become a simple crossroads within a few months.
See in Jersey we do have a few of this set up where a one way road meets a two way road (or another one way road) at a crossroads and the two go together, though they aren't dual lane right turns.

There's no clear priority so normally the left turning and right turning traffic adopt a filter in turn rule, so take it in turns to go through the junction. Seems to work fairly well.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Traffic going onto the A235 from the A236 headed for South Croydon get a green at the same time as Aberdeen Road which is offset. By the time cars arrive at the meeting point it is hard to see who actually has the priority and traffic does seem to just merge-in-turn. It's not dual though and it's slow speeds here generally and I've not personally seen or experienced any issues or seen any road rage.

GSV here showing movements from both roads
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Skipsy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 21:47 I just found a triple unprotected right turn here on the A4 (Car went too far forward on the street view and is blocking the lorry)
That is just plain silly and dangerous. If it's deemed necessary to have 3 lanes turning right, it absolutely needs proper protected signalisation.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

In Southampton there's this on the West Quay Road.

If traffic's oncoming from the industrial area when right-turners get the green light, it can get a bit hairy.
jnty

Post by jnty »

A couple in Edinburgh:

https://goo.gl/maps/hKFSxJoaGszL7HSi6
https://goo.gl/maps/eH77Z6H8Zy7QiPJv8

Both do have filter arrows but the phase starts with a green light only as you can see in the first one (and in the second one by clicking around a bit.)

Given that there's been a bit of chat about the concept of "bad" unprotected rights generally here's a particularly bad single-lane one - you'd be giving way to the blue car obscured by that tree (or at this time of year totally obscured by the pop-up Christmas trees stall that sets up there.) And of course given the distance involved, the first one or two right-turning cars will usually be able to just go for it, so the first driver who'll have to give way will actually be the second or third in the queue and won't have been able to get a good look at the junction anyway.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

danfw194 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:25
That is just plain silly and dangerous. If it's deemed necessary to have 3 lanes turning right, it absolutely needs proper protected signalisation.
I'm sure this came up in conversation about the adjacent development about what would you do with it but I wasn't involved and looking at it, I don't want to be.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Turnpike Lane! It does get a filter too
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 08:02 Traffic going onto the A235 from the A236 headed for South Croydon get a green at the same time as Aberdeen Road which is offset. By the time cars arrive at the meeting point it is hard to see who actually has the priority and traffic does seem to just merge-in-turn. It's not dual though and it's slow speeds here generally and I've not personally seen or experienced any issues or seen any road rage.

GSV here showing movements from both roads
Very peculiar design. Seems traffic turning left has priority into the left lane and traffic turning right has priority into the right lane. Doesn't help they've used the wrong signage though.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

It's so common to see people use the middle lane here to turn right, even though its marked as straight only. Anyone have any clue why? Maybe it was like this in the past + I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to anyway.