Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by the cheesecake man »

All the Town Centre signs I passed in Doncaster this morning. :coat:
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I've passed an advance warning of road closure a few times recently but been unable to make out when the closure is as that key piece of information is on the bottom line of text and buried in the long grass. Went past it today and they've cut the grass so I now know when it is, or rather was as it's an overnight in March. :roll:
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

The low bridge was demolished quite some time ago. I'm unsure if it meant the bridge or just a low obstacle over the road because I know they had overhead pipes and cables down there in a gantry too at one point connecting the factories there was definitely a bridge also. This sign looks newish also maybe they just replaced like for like.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

L.J.D wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 15:24 The low bridge was demolished quite some time ago. I'm unsure if it meant the bridge or just a low obstacle over the road because I know they had overhead pipes and cables down there in a gantry too at one point connecting the factories there was definitely a bridge also. This sign looks newish also maybe they just replaced like for like.
I'd say it was the bridge carrying the railway from Castleford up to Garforth. That line was finally closed in 1998 and the bridge removed before 2009 when the Streetview car went by.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I noticed today that this brown sign for Stapeley Water Gardens is still there, despite the fact that said gardens closed over 10 years ago.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Truvelo
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by Truvelo »

vlad wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 21:49 I noticed today that this brown sign for Stapeley Water Gardens is still there, despite the fact that said gardens closed over 10 years ago.
Wow, is it that long ago? I've driven the A51 on many occasions and got held up by traffic turning right into the water gardens as there isn't a right turn lane. But then again, it's probably been the same amount of time since the southern bypass of Nantwich opened.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

This sign has been patched to change "Scotland TranServ" to "BEAR Scotland". But it's not been changed from "Scottish Executive" to "Transport Scotland", despite that name and logo not having been used since 2007.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

I think it's far to say that many route confirmation signs are out of date given that new roads open all the time. I wonder what the most out of date rcs is.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There is a roundabout about half a mile from me that shows a turn off for an open cast mine that closed in 1992. The sign must date back to 1982, when the road was upgraded for the open cast mine, and has never been replaced.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Why bother patching this? Why not just remove it?