Streetlighting Discussion Thread (WARNING; Big Images)

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

True Yorkie
Banned

Re: Streetlighting Discussion Thread (WARNING; Big Images)

Post by True Yorkie »

Rojojnr wrote:True Yorkie:
The main street in Darlington is lit by unknown lights. They aren't heritage lanterns, but are a bit unusual
Judging by the shape of the lanterns, these also look like Urbis Auroras, although I'm not sure if the underside is the same, as the Urbis website doesn't show an underside view of the Aurora!
This is what I'm unsure of. The bowl profile on the darlington lights is what i'd describe as a 'hob plate' look! There is a slight bump, but not enough to call it a bowl. It protrudes a tiny little bit below the line of the outer canopy, but not a lot.
Down the train line a bit in Middlesbrough, and it's gone dark. But don't worry! I'm here on that one-way street lit by THREE floodlights per column!!
Wow, call that light pollution! I reckon there'll be night-time football matches going on there before long! Those floodlights certainly do look powerful enough to light a football pitch! Yes, it's certainly brighter all right! :shock:
I'm waiting to see what this road is developed into! Not even the pedestrian areas of Leeds has lighting as bright as this!

--

Please note that due to the controversy now surrounding this thread, I will not be making any 'fresh' posts to this topic until further notice. I may reply to another person's comment should I feel I have an answer to a particular query... but the majority of my streetlighting posting will now be made on UKASTLE.
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

Mikeya

Post by Mikeya »

Hi all

I like this shot - a CU standard and a Revo lantern - but where is it/was it? I suspect the Potteries.

http://flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/3311565041/

Cheers Mikey
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Great shot Mikeya! Hard to tell where it is, but the concrete standard is worth a mention anyway.

I have now seen a few Mallatite hockies in Liverpool, this time in Norris Green. They were unpainted. Now, if Mallatite are here to stay, they could make a big appearance in the redevelopment of Norris Green's Boot Estate. Ellergreen isn't completed yet.
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Hi Mikeya!

I've just been checking out your Flickr gallery with interest and am amazed at what you've found around London! I'm really glad you got a pic of the CU concretes in Loughton - Epping Forest Council are really trying hard to preserve their old streetlighting stock, and some real classic installations can still be found there! In fact, I'm really surprised those installations haven't been sleeved or replaced, judging by how they're leaning! I'm not complaining though! :D If I understand, on a couple of roads around the M11 in the Chigwell/Loughton area, GEC Bricks can still be found on tubular steel columns, or have they all been replaced with MA60s now?

I love those installations in Notting Hill and Bermondsey as well - they have got to be vintage if they're still standing in London! I think there are also some Alpha 3s in Marble Arch as well, which have replaced Atlas Alpha 8s over the years.

This installation is really puzzling me though:

http://flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/3247828143/

I can't quite fathom out what those lanterns are - at first, I thought they were Atlas Alpha 8s, but on second inspection, I think they might be the weird-looking main road version of the SGS201!

You live very near me too, as I've found out from your snow pics! :wink:
I now have a new Sony H50 digital camera, so expect a big improvement in my photos from now on!
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

Rojojnr wrote:This installation is really puzzling me though:

http://flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/3247828143/

I can't quite fathom out what those lanterns are - at first, I thought they were Atlas Alpha 8s, but on second inspection, I think they might be the weird-looking main road version of the SGS201!
Yep, they're old style main road SGS201s; the predecessor of the SGS203.
Mikeya

Post by Mikeya »

Hi all - ta for the comments and I'm glad the recent London shots have been of interest.

This photo set of 1960s Brum are worth a look - some of them, lighting centre stage, show some great Birmingham installations

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/pnicklin

Mikey