Traffic lights for private properties

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dave908

Re: Traffic lights for private properties

Post by Dave908 »

One here in Widnes.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Along similar lines i found this one exiting at cemetery https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3964775 ... 312!8i6656
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

One in Hull with a PBU to set it off the heads in abit of an odd place. I'd have put it on the pole direct opposite the drive.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

These private allotments in Leamington Spa get their own phase.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 14:05 One in Hull with a PBU to set it off the heads in abit of an odd place. I'd have put it on the pole direct opposite the drive.
It does seem a strange place to put it. Looking at this cranked pole, it's got mounting blocks. Just a guess, but I wonder if the secondary with the indicative arrow was on there at some point, meaning the 'sensible' pole wasn't installed at that time, and then the existing pole was chosen rather than the one opposite in order to try and lessen it looking like a primary for an exit crossing?

Edit: This 2008 view seems to suggest the sensible pole is a more recent addition.
Simon
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Beardy5632 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 20:24 Here's one in Hereford.
Just walked down there this morning before college, can confirm that there are induction loops in the pavement going up to the drive.
Tom
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1783658 ... 384!8i8192
Saw this one today as I visited this pub for the sole reason of having "Duck" in its name.

Bridleway on one side and pub car park on the otherside. I arrived on bicycle and the sensors (at least from the bridleway & pub) didn't pick me up, but there are push button units to the side which I realised after a minute of waiting.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

jervi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 18:39 https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1783658 ... 384!8i8192
Saw this one today as I visited this pub for the sole reason of having "Duck" in its name.

Bridleway on one side and pub car park on the otherside. I arrived on bicycle and the sensors (at least from the bridleway & pub) didn't pick me up, but there are push button units to the side which I realised after a minute of waiting.
There must have been a terrible accident record there to warrant those. It looks like there aren't any sensors on the car park side and with the button on the wrong side and no obvious signage, I wonder how many people assume the lights are faulty and pull out on red?
jervi

Post by jervi »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:13
jervi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 18:39 https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1783658 ... 384!8i8192

There must have been a terrible accident record there to warrant those. It looks like there aren't any sensors on the car park side and with the button on the wrong side and no obvious signage, I wonder how many people assume the lights are faulty and pull out on red?
There are loops on the pub side, its just that the car park has been resurfaced recently so can't see it.
I'd suspect it was installed due to the near blind corner coming out of the pub where the pub blocks the view and the road bends around behind. Also being where a Public Bridleway crosses (which is now part of NCN Route 6) is another good reason to have it signalised.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

jervi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 18:39I visited this pub for the sole reason of having "Duck" in its name.
:lol: I like this a lot
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

As this thread has been going years, I should link the exit from Woodside Fire Station, which is at the junction of the A215 and A222 just down the road from me here. Just the normal traffic light signalling and not also including wig-wags for the other traffic. It also showed the Google Car driver ignored the "FIRE STATION ONLY" sign and as painted on the road. Good job there wasn't a call out when he/she was there. The driver would also have set-off the induction loop on exit. I think as shown here There is a non-light controlled back entrance for return trips.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 15:37 As this thread has been going years, I should link the exit from Woodside Fire Station, which is at the junction of the A215 and A222 just down the road from me here. Just the normal traffic light signalling and not also including wig-wags for the other traffic. It also showed the Google Car driver ignored the "FIRE STATION ONLY" sign and as painted on the road. Good job there wasn't a call out when he/she was there. The driver would also have set-off the induction loop on exit. I think as shown here There is a non-light controlled back entrance for return trips.
I have always thought it was odd there was a lack of signage here apart from the weird non-compliant "Fire Station Only" sign on the wrong side and worn markings. Even more surprising is nothing to stop people parking there apart from common sense either, which is unfortunately often lacking in the area.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

A traffic light for a pub was included earlier in the thread and I forgot to add that I used one of these recently, albeit a temporary traffic light arrangement, when I returned to Pilgrims Hatch the other week. I didn't get a shot of it unfortunately, but it was at the Black Horse here. The exit was right in the middle of the road works and contributed to a four-way signal and long delays the evening before on the A128 after my travails on the M25.

I also got a green whilst vehicles were still approaching from the A128 heading south. I know this can be a thing generally at temporary lights but I did wonder about timings here. I just pushed into a good gap between two vehicles.
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 15:37 As this thread has been going years, I should link the exit from Woodside Fire Station, which is at the junction of the A215 and A222 just down the road from me here. Just the normal traffic light signalling and not also including wig-wags for the other traffic. It also showed the Google Car driver ignored the "FIRE STATION ONLY" sign and as painted on the road. Good job there wasn't a call out when he/she was there. The driver would also have set-off the induction loop on exit. I think as shown here There is a non-light controlled back entrance for return trips.
That is one beautiful looking fire station! :o
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Worth noting that access to the “Fire Station only” cul de sac is not actually forbidden.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Would be interesting to see how these work. https://goo.gl/maps/dQXV1xa1pvnVoFHj8
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

ReissOmari wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 Would be interesting to see how these work. https://goo.gl/maps/dQXV1xa1pvnVoFHj8
The funeral directors and the property next door both have a primary and secondary head each, both on their own phases.
Simon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Here is a pair of driveways that I just don't understand. There is clearly sensors on the ground but there is no signal to indicate when to go. There is also some PBUs on the left that don't actually have a button in them. I'm thinking maybe the light on the PBU might light up to indicate the car has been detected?
traffic-light-man

AlexBr967 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 19:24 Here is a pair of driveways that I just don't understand. There is clearly sensors on the ground but there is no signal to indicate when to go. There is also some PBUs on the left that don't actually have a button in them. I'm thinking maybe the light on the PBU might light up to indicate the car has been detected?
Certainly an unusual arrangement, but I wonder if it might be using warden control. That would usually use a key switch to call an all-red, with two indicator lamps displaying the status, one essentially being a mimic of a wait lamp to confirm the call, and the other being a mimic of a green signal to confirm the all-red is running. It could be using the loops in place of the key switch, but keeping the indicator lamps in the demand units.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Spotted this one earlier. You'd have thought the land owners would of just made it one way so it didn't need a signal.