Traffic lights for private properties

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

andy_birkett

Re: Traffic lights for private properties

Post by andy_birkett »

jon wrote:One day I'll remember to stop and see how the lights are triggered, but there's a house link onto the A650/Rein Road junction at Tingley Bar, Morley, Leeds.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=morley& ... 2,,0,12.24
This one is right near my house, but I've never stopped for a nosey round either. Looking at Streetview, it seems that the drivers exiting the houses just give way initially to cross the first lane, then you can see a detector loop in the gap in the island, right in front of the stop line.

Andy
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

The Live and Let Live tavern in Wolverley, Worcs. was located in a gap in a ravine of sandstone in this village near Kidderminster built around and on sandstone. By c. 1977, the traffic outside the pub trying to use a narrow single track road through the ravine was so bad that traffic signals were installed- still, incidentally, a rarity on an unclassified country lane anywhere. The pub naturally had a set for the entrance and exit road to its car park.

Sadly the pub shut in the last 10 years, and now the building is a luxury house...and still has that set of traffic lights as you come onto the 'main lane' through the village.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

worcsfan wrote:The Live and Let Live tavern in Wolverley, Worcs. was located in a gap in a ravine of sandstone in this village near Kidderminster built around and on sandstone. By c. 1977, the traffic outside the pub trying to use a narrow single track road through the ravine was so bad that traffic signals were installed- still, incidentally, a rarity on an unclassified country lane anywhere. The pub naturally had a set for the entrance and exit road to its car park.

Sadly the pub shut in the last 10 years, and now the building is a luxury house...and still has that set of traffic lights as you come onto the 'main lane' through the village.
Do you mean here?
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

There's one opposite Lots Road where it meets King's Road in Chelsea

Chelsea
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:There's one opposite Lots Road where it meets King's Road in Chelsea

Chelsea
Has the man walking in front of the gate set the lights off, because when I turned the camera around they were going on green. :lol:
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Oh I didn't spot that - :lol:
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Beardy5632 wrote:
worcsfan wrote:The Live and Let Live tavern in Wolverley, Worcs. was located in a gap in a ravine of sandstone in this village near Kidderminster built around and on sandstone. By c. 1977, the traffic outside the pub trying to use a narrow single track road through the ravine was so bad that traffic signals were installed- still, incidentally, a rarity on an unclassified country lane anywhere. The pub naturally had a set for the entrance and exit road to its car park.

Do you mean here?

That's it! :D
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

On the subject of rural examples, there's this one near Taunton. The lights on the main road would be there ayway for the narrow bridge, but the ones for the, seemingly unused, dirt tracks, are just bizarre.
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Are they Army?
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

The entrance to the West Woods health club in Edinburgh which forms the fourth arm of a signal-controlled crossroads.
dave55uk

Post by dave55uk »

There's a personal set in St. Albans serving this driveway...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&h ... 6,,0,11.31

Cannot see any push-buttons etc.

(Traffic lights not installed when GSV went past, obviously!)
vlad

Post by vlad »

There's a set serving the exit to this pub in Lichfield, which seems to be on the same sort of sensor as the other three arms of the crossroads.

And both these private drives have their own set of lights. Rotate through 180 degrees and you'll see what I mean! I don't know how these are triggered, though.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

DavidB wrote:Here's a interesting installation in Sonning in Berkshire. The twin lights control egress from a short gravel driveway to the greenkeeper's cottage at Sonning Golf Club. Duffield Road at this point is single lane with traffic lights controlling movement in alternate directions. It would appear that either the left or right set of lights clears to green as appropriate but how it works I don't know - the only control device I can see is the sensor on the pole pointing at the driveway.
I actually saw these work over the weekend on the way to a 40th birthday bash being held at the Golf Club (i walked the mile from my house, so i could have a drink or several). A car came out of the house and waited under the sensor. Both signals are on red as street view shows. Then after the cars had gone north to south on Duffield Road, the left hand signal came on and went through its sequence. The driver did not want to go left and then both signals went to red. Then after cars had gone the other way, the right hand signal went to green and the driver went. As soon as he left his driveway, the signals went back to red. There are sensors all the way between the two heads on Duffield Road, a distance of approximately 150 metres, so the driveway lights seem to be linked to the direction of travel on Duffield Road.

It also seems the driver obeyed them and did not see the need to jump the light and go right when he started to see vehicles coming the other way. I also assumed when the driveway signal went red the signal at either end stayed at red, but could not tell as you can not see these signal heads.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

vlad wrote:There's a set serving the exit to this pub in Lichfield, which seems to be on the same sort of sensor as the other three arms of the crossroads.

And both these private drives have their own set of lights. Rotate through 180 degrees and you'll see what I mean! I don't know how these are triggered, though.
Loops in the pavement.
To come second is to be the first of the losers.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Here's one on the A369/B3129 junction.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have passed through this junction countless times (A580 / B5207 at Lowton) and had never seen this signal until yesterday.

Looks weird at the moment as its just a solitary signal stood in a blanket of snow.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Has this one in Dumbarton been mentioned?
ziltro

Post by ziltro »

Side road with its own detector in Southampton:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=c&c ... 3,,0,27.14

Pub with its own lights in Poole:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=c&c ... 6,,0,25.14
I can't see how they are triggered. Also interesting in that they have no stop line.
Andrew
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

ziltro wrote:Pub with its own lights in Poole:
I can't see how they are triggered. Also interesting in that they have no stop line.
I've been down that way before and never noticed that one before.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Pub with its own lights in Poole:
I can't see how they are triggered. Also interesting in that they have no stop line.[/quote]
In the absence of a stop line, the signal pole counts as the stop position. Is there no loop in the surface of the car park?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!