Traffic lights for private properties

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Traffic lights for private properties

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 Ounsdale Road, Wombourne, next to the canal bridge. There is a single property with its own signal, right next to a normal street junction. Not sure how it is detected. Note that the bridge is narrow, and signal control is necessary for that reason as well as the junctions.
Having another look at this, I see an inductive loop in the dropped pavement between the driveway and the road.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Re:

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2006 08:59 There are new signals being installed on Edgbaston Road, Birmingham, including a set controlling access to Warwickshire CCC (Edgbaston Cricket Ground) car park. They haven't been commissioned yet, so don't know how often they'll service this entrance, but there is also a right-turn filter lane into the car park from Edgbaston Rd (which is a dual-carriagewat at this point).
These have now been in operation for quite a few years. There's regular traffic in and out of the cricket ground even when there's no match on. I think inductive loops detect traffic and activate the signals, but they are then co-ordinated with the signals serving the residential estate called "The Ashes" and the Aldi supermarket just along the road.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

vlad

Post by vlad »

This car park in Manchester has its own set of traffic lights on exit.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Marzo

Post by Marzo »

Gordale Garden Centre has its own traffic lights onto the A540 dual carriageway on the Wirral.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

vlad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 20:45 This car park in Manchester has its own set of traffic lights on exit.
So does this one in Telford, and if you swing round, the opposite set of lights controls access to the International Centre. To be fair, given that a lot of big car parks are in urban areas and exit on to busy streets, traffic lights to control the exit could be expected in a lot of locations.

Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

Two other examples, found on a work trip:

Blackpole Retail Park, Worcester - traffic light for the delivery entrance.
Eddie Stobart depot, Stoke - one set for the car park and another for the yard exit.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Is there any interest in traffic lights within private properties?

Weston Island bus depot in Bath has a set to manage the blind bend. I can't remember if they are standard traffic lights or just a "safe"/"not safe" system that creates an alternating line of traffic.

One of my stranger distinctive childhood memories is the standard traffic light system that was used to control traffic moving in and out of the arch at Fort Southwick. Wikipedia says the site was sold by the MOD in 2003; Google Earth has the stoplines visible until 2005, with the 2007 imagery showing a give way system. Presumably the new owners didn't have the contacts to maintain such things.

Thankfully there are a few blurry images which confirm my memory. One on Geograph.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

One here for this pub on the A27 in Swaythling
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Johnathan404 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 18:06 Is there any interest in traffic lights within private properties?

Weston Island bus depot in Bath has a set to manage the blind bend. I can't remember if they are standard traffic lights or just a "safe"/"not safe" system that creates an alternating line of traffic.
There are a set of traffic lights on a blind bend at Trago Mills in Merthyr Tydfil that are within their property. The road is wide enough for two cars to pass, but I assume it's done for when lorries are making deliveries. I went through them once when collecting a new floor covering for the bathroom and we waited ages on red before they turned green without any other vehicle coming the other way. Street view shows Trago Mills as unbuilt, but you can see the stop lines on the satellite view at the top left-hand corner of the building.
https://goo.gl/maps/rbhVQ6M4BeTSuKqZ9
jervi

Post by jervi »

Only place I know to have traffic lights within a private properties, but it is a driving school/test centre.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.11151 ... a=!3m1!1e3
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Pretty sure they’ve been mentioned on here before but Alton Towers

https://goo.gl/maps/T7iY6GGUrENm9s5i8
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Spotted this one on the way home tonight, which I'm not sure I'd paid particular attention to previously. This house gets a primary and secondary!

This primary & secondary (hidden behind both 40 signs) have very recently been installed (I'm surprised it's on GSV!) for a short drive and garage, however now that the junction has been commissioned, these have been bagged up with red visible through the bags at night.
Simon
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

I was having a look around Skegness after seeing this thread and spotted another traffic light for a private property here.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Dave908 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 18:30 I was having a look around Skegness after seeing this thread and spotted another traffic light for a private property here.
For *two* properties, if you check the induction loops across their drives.

Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

I was having a look around the Fylde coast on StreetView and found another private property signal setup. I'm not seeking them out, I promise. :lol:

Two aspects for the cricket club entrance and another two for a private driveway here
Two aspects for an alleyway here

Then there's this odd (to me) arrangement: here
Nicks garage

Post by Nicks garage »

Has this junction in altrincham Manchester been put on here, the driveway has coils in behind the gate that activate the green light

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.3 ... -19.64p,1z
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Something just sparked my memory of this set in Ellesmere Port. a 5-arm junction, with all 3 joining arms being private properties.

In a similar vein are this cross roads and this never-commissioned set just along the river in Eastham.
Simon
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

There's one for a farm during a single lane section under a railway bridge in Birchington.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
jervi

Post by jervi »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 00:21 There's one for a farm during a single lane section under a railway bridge in Birchington.

This one
is very similar to yours, however I think it is temporary (~4 years) as its only ever been there since the start of the construction of the Eastern Lincoln Bypass. It might remain after it's primary purpose is finished as it does make traffic back up and block driveways as it is set 25 metres further back up the road.
delinquentwoody

Post by delinquentwoody »

This house
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7CxQXVVh4V4PZGn89 has a 'mini' set of traffic lights on a post at the end of its drive, which duplicate the lights further on around the corner so they know whether to expect oncoming traffic or not. I've never seen 'mini' traffic lights anywhere else.