Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Viator

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Viator »

c2R wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 09:17
Viator wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 05:05
jgharston wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 21:08 Also, the standard sign is a stick figure in a red circle - people naturally expect a "NO" sign to have a line through it, and could understandably see a sign without a strikethrough as being *not* a "NO" sign. 'cos there's no strikethrough, innit.

I do think that all "NO" signs really should consistantly have a strikethrough.
Only Ireland has consistent signage in that regard:
a red-edged circle without a strikethrough imposes a LIMIT of some kind (e.g. maximum permitted speed)
while a similar sign WITH a strikethrough means "NO [...] allowed at all" (e.g. no overtaking)
As a further example of this, a black-on-white P in a red circle means limited parking, while the same sign with a red strikethrough means "no parking" (at any time).
It might be consistent, but I still don't like the red circle with the forward arrow being the sign for a one way street... it also makes it difficult to sign the end of a prohibition if the same sign is used with a line through it to indicate no entry...
Well, the first sign you are referring to has since at least 2011 been replaced (though doubtless, Ireland being Ireland, not everywhere yet!) by sign RUS 004 "keep straight ahead" (white on blue), which is identical to UK diagram 606 (arrow pointing up) "proceed ahead only".

I do have a beef, however, with the way RUS 004 is used: from what I've seen it typically gets placed after the junction instead of before it :evil: -- this is probably due in very large part to the fact that Ireland lacks an informational (rectangular) sign corresponding to the UK's diagram 652 "one way traffic".

With regard to the second sign you mention (RUS 011 "no straight ahead"), this has -- again since 2011 -- been replaced in almost all situations by RUS 050 "no entry" (white bar on red disc), which is identical in design to UK diagram 616. RUS 011 has been retained, however, for situations where the "no straight ahead" regulation is not absolute, i.e. where there are exceptions (certain times of day, classes of vehicle, etc.), these exceptions being specified on a supplementary plate.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Viator wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 14:30
c2R wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 09:17
Viator wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 05:05
Only Ireland has consistent signage in that regard:
a red-edged circle without a strikethrough imposes a LIMIT of some kind (e.g. maximum permitted speed)
while a similar sign WITH a strikethrough means "NO [...] allowed at all" (e.g. no overtaking)
As a further example of this, a black-on-white P in a red circle means limited parking, while the same sign with a red strikethrough means "no parking" (at any time).
It might be consistent, but I still don't like the red circle with the forward arrow being the sign for a one way street... it also makes it difficult to sign the end of a prohibition if the same sign is used with a line through it to indicate no entry...
Well, the first sign you are referring to has since at least 2011 been replaced (though doubtless, Ireland being Ireland, not everywhere yet!) by sign RUS 004 "keep straight ahead" (white on blue), which is identical to UK diagram 606 (arrow pointing up) "proceed ahead only".

I do have a beef, however, with the way RUS 004 is used: from what I've seen it typically gets placed after the junction instead of before it :evil: -- this is probably due in very large part to the fact that Ireland lacks an informational (rectangular) sign corresponding to the UK's diagram 652 "one way traffic".

With regard to the second sign you mention (RUS 011 "no straight ahead"), this has -- again since 2011 -- been replaced in almost all situations by RUS 050 "no entry" (white bar on red disc), which is identical in design to UK diagram 616. RUS 011 has been retained, however, for situations where the "no straight ahead" regulation is not absolute, i.e. where there are exceptions (certain times of day, classes of vehicle, etc.), these exceptions being specified on a supplementary plate.
I blogged about No Straight Ahead - it's a great idea because it does not dilute the No Entry sign.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Viator

Post by Viator »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 13:44 I blogged about No Straight Ahead - it's a great idea because it does not dilute the No Entry sign.
Interesting! (A new blog for me to follow; well, new for me -- a reminder of the value of checking out all of SABRE's internal links...). Our conclusions are very similar. :)
See: https://showmeasign.online/2017/10/16/s ... m-ireland/
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Doesn't this sign imply that 'right' leads inexorably to a motorway, and not to a waste incinerator, several industrial estates, and at least 3 places to turn around, as well as a motorway.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Big L wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 21:19 Doesn't this sign imply that 'right' leads inexorably to a motorway, and not to a waste incinerator, several industrial estates, and at least 3 places to turn around, as well as a motorway.
Ugh.

Even when you approach the motorway, they still get it wrong:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7776615 ... 312!8i6656

...and inconsistent. Don't you just love local authority sign designers?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77678 ... 6656?hl=en

The less said about this abortion the better? I wouldn't mind but someone did point this error out before the thing was fabricated.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77686 ... 6656?hl=en

Still, at least they're consistently useless
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77500 ... 6656?hl=en
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Not installed (thankfully), but I came across someone trying to sell this horrific mess this morning: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2TjYlblrT- ... h8u63ljif9
Warning do not must turn left?
What's this for?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 22:22
Big L wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 21:19Doesn't this sign imply that 'right' leads inexorably to a motorway, and not to a waste incinerator, several industrial estates, and at least 3 places to turn around, as well as a motorway.
Ugh.
Every direction sign on that road is a disaster.

Every direction sign in that city is a disaster.

All Leeds’ direction signs of the last decade or so show all the hallmarks of a designer who thinks he knows the rules a lot better than he actually does.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

nickoli wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:39 Not installed (thankfully), but I came across someone trying to sell this horrific mess this morning: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2TjYlblrT- ... h8u63ljif9
Warning do not must KEEP left, surely?
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

ellandback wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:39
nickoli wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:39 Not installed (thankfully), but I came across someone trying to sell this horrific mess this morning: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2TjYlblrT- ... h8u63ljif9
Warning do not must KEEP left, surely?
Yes, of course. Not that it helps.
What's this for?
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

I was snooping around the M62 on Street view when I came across this!

This sign must be AWFULLY old. Or maybe just a tribute. In fact I don't know what it is!

Next time anyone's on the M606, let me know if you see those flimsy little Motorwarns. You know, the "Yellow Perils," the amber flashing lights, call it what you want to...

Wow, I thought those signs were all gone...
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Finally managed to get a close-up of one of these signs. Portsmouth has hundreds of them - way more than it has actual lane designation signs. Despite their temporary appearance, they have been in place for five years. They are how you are supposed to navigate. They are not much larger than an A4 sheet of paper: use the paint on the road for a comparison.
sign.jpg
Then we have this rather brilliant combination. The fact that the arrows slide a different way to the road is not a good start. The split between "WCA"* and "Seafront" is the junction mapped by the ADS; the mysterious "other routes" refers to a following junction which doesn't appear on any permanent signage this far ahead.

If you were looking for "Old Portsmouth" or "Ferries" (as per the first sign), you might think they come under "Other routes" on the second sign. They don't, you need to follow "Seafront".
sign2.jpg
* - having given it a lot of thought, I have worked out that WCA must stand for Winston Churchill Avenue - a well known road, but known only by locals, and not referred to on any other road signs.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:32
Conekicker wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 22:22
Big L wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 21:19Doesn't this sign imply that 'right' leads inexorably to a motorway, and not to a waste incinerator, several industrial estates, and at least 3 places to turn around, as well as a motorway.
Ugh.
Every direction sign on that road is a disaster.

Every direction sign in that city is a disaster.

All Leeds’ direction signs of the last decade or so show all the hallmarks of a designer who thinks he knows the rules a lot better than he actually does.
Wakefield aren't much better, if at all!
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 19:20 I was snooping around the M62 on Street view when I came across this!

This sign must be AWFULLY old. Or maybe just a tribute. In fact I don't know what it is!

Next time anyone's on the M606, let me know if you see those flimsy little Motorwarns. You know, the "Yellow Perils," the amber flashing lights, call it what you want to...

Wow, I thought those signs were all gone...
If only there were a budget to sort out dross like that. Or, and I'm wandering into the realms of fantasy here, if only Smart Motorway schemes looked at junction signing as a whole and didn't have their scheme boundary in places that avoided fixing stuff like this.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

ellandback wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 08:41 I've always wondered about the official "no pedestrians" sign, given that a pedestrian who never learned to drive (etc) would have had no obligation ever to have learned its meaning. I might have suggested that the worded sign was perhaps a better solution, except for the fact that we can't assume all pedestrians speak English.

For those reasons, maybe there is a genuine case for this to be a combination pictorial/worded sign, such as now seems to happen routinely with "give priority/priority over" signs.
Like this perhaps
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Did someone have to delete an extra L in Savile Street?
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:26
ellandback wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 08:41 I've always wondered about the official "no pedestrians" sign, given that a pedestrian who never learned to drive (etc) would have had no obligation ever to have learned its meaning. I might have suggested that the worded sign was perhaps a better solution, except for the fact that we can't assume all pedestrians speak English.

For those reasons, maybe there is a genuine case for this to be a combination pictorial/worded sign, such as now seems to happen routinely with "give priority/priority over" signs.
Like this perhaps
Yes, like that. :thumbsup:
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

[deleted - accidental double post]
Last edited by Andy33gmail on Tue Sep 17, 2019 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Passed one this morning

“Unsuitable for HCVs”

... I guess the road must have been immunised...

Believe it was in Haddenham, certainly that kind of area. Will try and remember next time!
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Andy33gmail wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 23:51 “Unsuitable for HCVs”
Staffordshire have quite a few with references to HCVs. I assume it means Heavy Commercial Vehicles, to include coaches/busses as well as goods vehicles.
What's this for?
Martin45

Post by Martin45 »

There are some signs that at first seem completely fine, until you see the positioning and ask why? This sign is correct, but the place it's put is bizarre, suggesting you are allowed to park overnight mon-sat and all day sunday, despite the road only being as wide as one car. Not sure this is quite right either. Also, a non-existant A road has emerged on this sign.