Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Viator

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Viator »

TS wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 22:54 This is surely, being charitable, an "inventive" use of the direction arrow??

https://goo.gl/maps/jKgk5qtfJ5Q2
Perhaps the person responsible had some training in the Czech Republic -- the only country in the world that I know of that makes regular use of
this kind of thing.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Viator wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 23:28
TS wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 22:54 This is surely, being charitable, an "inventive" use of the direction arrow??

https://goo.gl/maps/jKgk5qtfJ5Q2
Perhaps the person responsible had some training in the Czech Republic -- the only country in the world that I know of that makes regular use of
this kind of thing.
Is it bad that I kinda like that??
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Viator wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 19:01 As I think you imply, "no entry" painted on the road is not a legal sign in itself.
It is a perfectly legal sign, it's Diagram 1046 and may be used on it's own, without the vertical Diagram 616. Whether it's wise to do so is another matter...
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Arcuarius wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05
Viator wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 23:28 Perhaps the person responsible had some training in the Czech Republic -- the only country in the world that I know of that makes regular use of
this kind of thing.
Is it bad that I kinda like that??
No, I find it quite neat too ...except that it's an ADS (typically placed, in the Czech Republic, some 150 metres in advance of the actual junction) and there is almost never any directional signage at the intersection itself. That's why I always say that you need a good memory when driving in the CR: make a firm mental note of those directions now, because there'll be no reminders once you get to the crossroads!
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Is this right and proper? The tautology suggests not.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6792625 ... 384!8i8192
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

Another example of a perfectly clear and unambiguous road sign.
Excellent. If all signs were of this quality, travel would be so much easier.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Brigham wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57
I'd say it is very ambiguous as to where motorway regulations begin; important information for some. It's not as if breaking the rules has made the sign clearer, because it hasn't.

If you wanted to make the motorway - clearly the key exit here - obvious, you would use a big blue patch, not a comparatively tiny one.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

I think it might be missing a couple of chopsticks panels?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I understand that you personally don't mind if a sign doesn't conform to legal standards, but you'll find you're swimming against the tide in this specific thread.

Plus - that sign might be clear and unambiguous in terms of telling you which exit to take from the roundabout for which destination, and I don't dispute that it is, but if it were properly designed and conformed to the regulations, it would also tell you whether or not any exits from the roundabout led directly onto a motorway. Indeed, legally speaking, it has to tell you that because some of the exits do lead directly on to a motorway, and that information is important for any road user who wishes to go to one of the listed destinations but cannot use a motorway. Instead, it indicates that two exits are for the M275, but not whether either exit is the M275, or whether it just leads to it via other all-purpose roads. That actually is ambiguous, and just because it doesn't matter to you personally doesn't mean it doesn't matter!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Elsewhere... right sign, right symbol, right location, even the right colours... just not the right colours the right way round.

(We probably shouldn't get too bogged down in whether those places appear on any other signs further down the road, because they don't.)
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I'd like to suggest this as the most botched sign on the A21, on the new North Farm interchange on the recently dualled section. Anyone want to see how many errors there are? Well for one, the top panel can be omitted as we just left the main carriageway and it's a waste of material (I doubt anyone will take this as a wrong exit)
https://i.imgur.com/MsnngqS.jpg
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 22:12 I'd like to suggest this as the most botched sign on the A21, on the new North Farm interchange on the recently dualled section. Anyone want to see how many errors there are? Well for one, the top panel can be omitted as we just left the main carriageway and it's a waste of material (I doubt anyone will take this as a wrong exit)
https://i.imgur.com/MsnngqS.jpg
Oh boy!
Guess which approach leg you might be on - you've got 2 choices :shock:
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Turn right for "all primary routes" (apart from the one for which you have to turn left).
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

ellandback wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 13:03 Turn right for "all primary routes" (apart from the one for which you have to turn left).
The right turn sign points you at a road with a 'no motor vehicles' sign (no stunt motorcycles) with a very wordy sign that says the restriction is only active for 8 or maybe 6 hours per week. More confusing than botched, granted.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

I hadn't noticed that. Having studied it at far greater length than I would ever be able to do if I was driving, I don't think that sign actually says what it means to say. I'm fairly sure it's meant to cover weekend nights (Fri/Sat, Sat/Sun and Sun/Mon) between 10pm and 5am.

So at (say) 3am on Friday, or 11pm on Monday, you should be OK.

But that's not what the sign actually says. Well, arguably that's not what it says. Ambiguous, at best.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

ellandback wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 08:34 I hadn't noticed that. Having studied it at far greater length than I would ever be able to do if I was driving, I don't think that sign actually says what it means to say. I'm fairly sure it's meant to cover weekend nights (Fri/Sat, Sat/Sun and Sun/Mon) between 10pm and 5am.

So at (say) 3am on Friday, or 11pm on Monday, you should be OK.

But that's not what the sign actually says. Well, arguably that's not what it says. Ambiguous, at best.
But then the signs at the entrance to the street only note the 10pm-midnight restriction, and not the midnight to 5am restriction at all. Very confusing.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

ellandback wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 13:03 Turn right for "all primary routes" (apart from the one for which you have to turn left).
The road that you're being pointed down isn't primary, though...
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Attack of the Primary B roads here and here on the A68 in Tow Law.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Rob590 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 09:49 Attack of the Primary B roads here and here on the A68 in Tow Law.
Ugh, and a sign with left and right arrows placed at the junction instead of ahead of it :(