Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Truvelo »

These 30 signs have gone on a diet. The sign under the left 30 is also suffering from a malnutrition font.
Attachments
skinny30.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Euan

Post by Euan »

The "30"s themselves also appear to be thinner and not just slightly smaller. They might be in the same font as is typically used on such signs, but without being changed to the usual bold variant.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

There's a worded 'Dual Carriageway Ahead' on the A66 Bowes Bypass, going West, located in the central reservation of a dual carriageway!
Westie

Post by Westie »

Brigham wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 There's a worded 'Dual Carriageway Ahead' on the A66 Bowes Bypass, going West, located in the central reservation of a dual carriageway!
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.518049, ... 312!8i6656

Then again, it really D2+1 at that point (with the exit of a slip road + a bus stop) so I can *kinda* see why it's there...
DuckDuckGo

Post by DuckDuckGo »

This road sign heading into Clanfield, Hampshire https://goo.gl/maps/Xxcuthz4QBU2 looks a bit dodgy. Is it a valid sign in the Highway Code or just an anomaly? :confused:
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

DuckDuckGo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 19:34 This road sign heading into Clanfield, Hampshire https://goo.gl/maps/Xxcuthz4QBU2 looks a bit dodgy. Is it a valid sign in the Highway Code or just an anomaly? :confused:
I've seen similar signs somewhere else which show a total of three side roads with two on one side and one on the other.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Used to be a signs of similar types here and here until they were replaced (both oddly in the same village). The first was replaced with a standard warning sign with a supplementary plate (look through the street view dates to see) and the second replaced by a map type direction sign with stumpy arms and A267 as the only destination.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DuckDuckGo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 19:34This road sign heading into Clanfield, Hampshire https://goo.gl/maps/Xxcuthz4QBU2 looks a bit dodgy. Is it a valid sign in the Highway Code or just an anomaly? :confused:
Made up by someone being clever and definitely not a real sign!
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

Are those 'BEND' signs which show a minor road on the inside of the bend 'proper' signs?
You know the ones I mean, 'bend smoking a fag'.
nodnirG kraM

Post by nodnirG kraM »

Brigham wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 14:00 Are those 'BEND' signs which show a minor road on the inside of the bend 'proper' signs?
You know the ones I mean, 'bend smoking a fag'.
Image Image
This chappy? Never thought of it as a chain smoker before, but then I have a mind influenced heavily by Mr Floppy ...

Anyway, yes they are official: figure 512.2/L, an adaptation of 512, the general "bend ahead" sign.
Last edited by nodnirG kraM on Wed Jan 02, 2019 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Brigham

Post by Brigham »

Fenlander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 14:50 Is this some mutant relative of Mr Floppy?
Somebody dropped a Clanger!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Brigham wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39
Fenlander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 14:50 Is this some mutant relative of Mr Floppy?
Somebody dropped a Clanger!
I'm guessing that the sign's creators were concerned about the road layout, because the road presumably once carried straight on up the hill, and there is nothing more than a grass verge and painted line to prevent it from doing so.

I think a row of black-and-white chevrons would probably do a better job of making sure that nobody charges at the bend thinking that the road carries straight on, but locals might have objected to having big ugly signs outside their houses (that sort of thing happens in Bath!).
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I will just about accept a shopping centre as a tourist attraction but not Tesco!

The next one is even better. It looks like it has been Photoshopped!

But look what it replaced
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
nodnirG kraM

Post by nodnirG kraM »

gov.uk wrote: Ineligible venues

Tourist signs cannot be used for:
retail outlets
shops or shopping centres
garden centres (including those with food outlets, play areas and additional retail outlets)
exhibition centres or conferencing facilities
But I recall recently seeing brown signs recategorised as "points of interest" rather than "tourist" - although I believe this was probably in an AA-branded "know your traffic signs" publication.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:55 I will just about accept a shopping centre as a tourist attraction but not Tesco!

It might be a better idea if we had a special symbol for supermarkets, retail parks or shopping centres on road signs like we have for railway stations and hospitals. They are that common these days and are probably entitled to some sort of special identifier on signs. Although shopping centre names might still be useful to signpost. The problem with signposting Tesco is that it is made to sound like a fairly unique place name when they in fact have thousands of different stores around the world - imagine signposting every single Co-op or Greggs.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 13:55 I will just about accept a shopping centre as a tourist attraction but not Tesco!
Snap!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Euan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 16:31

It might be a better idea if we had a special symbol for supermarkets, retail parks or shopping centres on road signs like we have for railway stations and hospitals. They are that common these days and are probably entitled to some sort of special identifier on signs. Although shopping centre names might still be useful to signpost. The problem with signposting Tesco is that it is made to sound like a fairly unique place name when they in fact have thousands of different stores around the world - imagine signposting every single Co-op or Greggs.
Something like https://www.colourbox.com/vector/pound- ... r-32598998
nodnirG kraM

Post by nodnirG kraM »

Euan wrote:imagine signposting every single Co-op or Greggs.
That'd be fantastic. Imagine how massive every sign post would have to be.
avtur

Post by avtur »

nodnirG kraM wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 14:18
avtur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 09:48 I saw this on my travels yesterday, on the A281 just south of Henfield (Sussex).

What amused me was the permanent nature of the 'roadworks and end' sign. There are two sets of signs about half a mile apart, facing in opposite directions, meaning they sort of book-end a roadworks zone. However, there are only signs to indicate the end of the roadworks zone, there is nothing to indicate entering this 'zone'.

Oh, and there was no sign of any actual roadworks.

Any ideas why a roadworks sign would be sited permanently?

road sign.JPG
The site was only cleared in the past month and the embankments reinstated either side. There were roadworks here for a few years prior to this, hence the 'permanence' of the Men At Work signs I presume!

This is part of the route for buried high voltage cables to the brand spanking new Bolney electricity substation that deals with the leccy that's being generated by the equally new and equally spanking wind farm out in the Channel near Brighton. They cross under the road here.

As this area is all now National Park, I assume this is why the cables have been stuck underground (instead of pylons) and the substation sited so flipping far away from the turbines (outside the Park). But if you look at the massive scar that's been left on the landscape as a result (have a look at satellite layer between Lancing and Bolney in West Sussex)....
oh wait this place is about roads not electricity isn't it!!

Anyway hope that answers the question. Next time you pass through Henfield, drop in for a cup of tea.

Bring your own cup. And teabag.
Just to round this off, a couple of days before Christmas the 'permanent' road works signs were removed :wink: