Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by the cheesecake man »

TS wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 08:44
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 21:02 Why no road numbers on this sign?

(The numbers are shown on the flag signs at the junction.)
It's the same (in reverse) here - and this on a primary route!

https://goo.gl/maps/2xxtgdBTjG2b9KSQA
And here's another one. Now you see the road numbers, now you don't.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

I came across this the other day, is it a prescribed variation? Seems to imply that you need to give way at the top of the (small) hill, even though there is no junction.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Jonathan24 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 17:04 I came across this the other day, is it a prescribed variation? Seems to imply that you need to give way at the top of the (small) hill, even though there is no junction.
I think that it might be trying to warn of other hazard, that there is limited visibility beyond the crest of the hill.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Jonathan24 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 17:04 I came across this the other day, is it a prescribed variation? Seems to imply that you need to give way at the top of the (small) hill, even though there is no junction.
There's a chance it's just a very obscure advert for toothpaste...
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

c2R wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 21:54
I think that it might be trying to warn of other hazard, that there is limited visibility beyond the crest of the hill.
Yes, it's a warning sign alerting you to the blind crest, rather than a "give way" sign (if you were being told to give way, "GIVE WAY" would be written inside the triangle).

In a car you'd be sitting a lot lower than the camera on the GSV vehicle, so the road ahead would be far more blind than it looks on GSV.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50
Yes, it's a warning sign alerting you to the blind crest, rather than a "give way" sign (if you were being told to give way, "GIVE WAY" would be written inside the triangle).

In a car you'd be sitting a lot lower than the camera on the GSV vehicle, so the road ahead would be far more blind than it looks on GSV.
Indeed, but should the triangle not be the other way up, something like this on the A68?
jervi

Post by jervi »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:29
Owain wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50

Indeed, but should the triangle not be the other way up, something like this on the A68?
That blind summit looks very much like a hidden dip.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Some looking around GSV in Brighton.
So no vehicles or no motor vehicles?
Interesting temporary sign no doubt it will remain after the road works are done (been ongoing for many years now). What the sign is trying to say, is take the first right to go westbound, because only left turns are allowed onto the A259
No right turn? pretty sure you mean "ahead only"
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

jervi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 18:10 Some looking around GSV in Brighton...
No right turn? pretty sure you mean "ahead only"
Would 'Ahead Only' prevent you parking in the spaces on the left or going through the big roller shutter door a bit further up on the left?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Came across this playing Geoguessr. Wrong, but is the one on the other side wronger?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Haven't been actively looking at this thread recently so apologies if duplicated.

Another failure to understand the meaning of this sign Stanhope Gate, Mayfair.

Haven't noticed before but did last month. The end of the Blandford bypass and incorrect brackets
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

For more bracket-related pedantry, notice how N and S are in brackets for the A61 but aren't for the M1.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 23:16 Another failure to understand the meaning of this sign Stanhope Gate, Mayfair.
There's a point in the roadworks cones at Selly Oak in Birmingham where that sign should definitely be used, but of course they've just put up two separate "Keep left" and "Keep right" signs :roll:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

JamesA44 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 09:08
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 23:16 Another failure to understand the meaning of this sign Stanhope Gate, Mayfair.
There's a point in the roadworks cones at Selly Oak in Birmingham where that sign should definitely be used, but of course they've just put up two separate "Keep left" and "Keep right" signs :roll:
So whichever side you go you have broken the law.

I'm sure I've seen similar at motorway exits where there are roadworks.
Make poetry history.

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Big L wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 09:15
JamesA44 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 09:08
So whichever side you go you have broken the law.

I'm sure I've seen similar at motorway exits where there are roadworks.
It's pretty much standard practise. There are two other ways to sign a coned nosing:

1) Don't put up any signs at all. This runs the risk of the nosing not being sufficiently visible to traffic, particularly at night and the cones then getting hit.
2) Install a black on yellow sign, what used to be Diagram 7241 or 7242 in TSRGD. Except this would require the specific route number to be applied to the sign face. No one is going to do that in reality as it involves some effort in the depot.

It would be helpful if we could follow US practise and simply show "Exit" under the arrow on such a sign, as this would give a "one size fits all" solution. I'm not sure if TSRGD would permit such a legend, perhaps Bomag could comment?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

NottsLad

Post by NottsLad »

I have always liked these two signs on the A46 near Leicester, one or both of which must be wrong:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6950768 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.701183, ... 312!8i6656

The signs are a mile apart heading in the same direction, note how the distances change! It could be that the second was installed after the dualling of the A46 but this would not have changed the distance to Nottingham and I don't think it would have changed the distances to Newark and Lincoln by as much as it seems.
jervi

Post by jervi »

NottsLad wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 15:35 I have always liked these two signs on the A46 near Leicester, one or both of which must be wrong:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6950768 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.701183, ... 312!8i6656

The signs are a mile apart heading in the same direction, note how the distances change! It could be that the second was installed after the dualling of the A46 but this would not have changed the distance to Nottingham and I don't think it would have changed the distances to Newark and Lincoln by as much as it seems.
Maybe the newer sign is measuring the distance to the outerpoint of the town/city, while the older one is using the distance to the centre?