Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by TS »

This https://goo.gl/maps/hqaj4JtH6nqZVw2cA crossroads warning sign has been replaced by a shiny modern one, but it is a bit of a shambles! It looks like this:
crossroads.jpg
crossroads.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
At first glance, it appeared to be a sign that had just fallen sideways but of course it wouldn't be upright any other way round - so it has been put up as intended! Plus, it is the horizontal road which is the priority.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

I've spent the week down in an area with a very high concentration of the "tank" warning sign, which is a personal favourite.

However this is a bit of a mess, to be honest, even if I understand fully the intent.. The real shocker is of course to be found on the opposite side

However, those responsible for this mess do have, as noted, tanks.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

TS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 09:45 This https://goo.gl/maps/hqaj4JtH6nqZVw2cA crossroads warning sign has been replaced by a shiny modern one, but it is a bit of a shambles! It looks like this:

At first glance, it appeared to be a sign that had just fallen sideways but of course it wouldn't be upright any other way round - so it has been put up as intended! Plus, it is the horizontal road which is the priority.
I wouldn't even class it as a crossroads, more a pair of T junctions. I don't know how far apart the side roads need to be for the junction to cease being a crossroads.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

How wrong are these pair of signs ?
( over 2 posts as I am having a problem posting 2 attachments within a single post )
Archway.jpg
Last edited by JohnnyMo on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Warning.jpg
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
jervi

Post by jervi »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 02:15 You could easily fill 16 pages of botched signs on the A272, mainly direction signs varying between primary and non-primary status. I drove nearly the entire length of the road last week and I think West Sussex County council need a few more emails passed their way...
Funny you said that. I actually did write up a report of all the road sign issues between the East/West Sussex boundary and the A24. I was many many many pages long (something like over 300 issues found)
Didn't send it in the end thou, felt like it would use up their entire annual budget in one go.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Even if they had to replace a sign if it was pointed out it was correct, chances are a white one would still pop up on that primary route every once in a while...
ccsuit

Post by ccsuit »

Hi there, this is my first post here as a long-time lurker!

I saw this sign the other day: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.74000 ... 6656?hl=en

There are a few things wrong with the sign, from what I can see. Firstly, the junction is a mini roundabout and not a t-junction like the sign suggests, and Abbots Langley is spelled wrong. But it's also a blue bordered sign! How exciting!
TS

Post by TS »

This https://goo.gl/maps/rDhJ3knV7AG1hdvg9 is the wrong sign!

If you travel down the hill you will find that this is the side-road to the left, depicted on the sign by the thinner line!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

The A45 is primary if you're going a long way. But if you're only using it for one junction it isn't. How does that work?

Also the roundabout has five exits but the one into the services isn't shown at all.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

JohnnyMo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:13Warning.jpg
The heights quoted on warning (and regulatory) signs are determined in accordance with sections 7.4 and 7.5 of TSM4:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pter-4.pdf

Allow me to express my surprise when I say that neither of those signs are correct.

The yardage plate is also wrong, to comply with TSRGD and considering it's less than half a mile, it should be to the nearest 10 yards, (S13-P3-I6).
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

TS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:07 This https://goo.gl/maps/rDhJ3knV7AG1hdvg9 is the wrong sign!

If you travel down the hill you will find that this is the side-road to the left, depicted on the sign by the thinner line!
Obvious error aside, I'm not sure why that sign had to be used. It is (wrongly) associated with fast-flowing GSJs.

Why not use a normal 'give way ahead' sign?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Johnathan404 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 16:17
TS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:07 This https://goo.gl/maps/rDhJ3knV7AG1hdvg9 is the wrong sign!

Obvious error aside, I'm not sure why that sign had to be used. It is (wrongly) associated with fast-flowing GSJs.

Why not use a normal 'give way ahead' sign?
Because that would be too easy? It would also show a modicum of knowledge. Which is clearly lacking on the part of whoever decided that sign was a good idea at that location.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 15:59 ...
Allow me to express my surprise when I say that neither of those signs are correct.
No s*** Sherlock
The yardage plate is also wrong, to comply with TSRGD and considering it's less than half a mile, it should be to the nearest 10 yards, (S13-P3-I6).
I hadn't picked that one up, but there again I write software not put up road signs. It could have been in metres or maybe feet given the quality of the signage
Johnny Mo
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

513 certainly doesn't mention "Slow" being a permitted plate in tsrgd...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9665645 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
the cheesecake man

No pedestrians beyond this point. Thanks for informing me but legally how can I can be confident of that observation?
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 13:11 The A45 is primary if you're going a long way. But if you're only using it for one junction it isn't. How does that work?

Also the roundabout has five exits but the one into the services isn't shown at all.
And I'm calling a botch on one of my pet hates - pointless abbreviation. There's plenty of space to accommodate "Higham Ferrers"
JohnnyMo wrote: How wrong are these pair of signs ?
( over 2 posts as I am having a problem posting 2 attachments within a single post )
Is the regulatory sign placed on an arch bridge there? That'll be yet another botch if that's the case.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 13:07 No pedestrians beyond this point. Thanks for informing me but legally how can I can be confident of that observation?
If only there was a sign for that... I saw today a random temporary sign that simply had an ! and the plate underneath read "Pedestrian"
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
the cheesecake man

c2R wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 16:18
the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 13:07 No pedestrians beyond this point. Thanks for informing me but legally how can I can be confident of that observation?
If only there was a sign for that... I saw today a random temporary sign that simply had an ! and the plate underneath read "Pedestrian"
Person walking on a white background in a red circle?