Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by the cheesecake man »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15 Given the correct prescribed legend today is Manchester (C), and some signs do say this
There are other "M'cr city centre" signs. I'm not sure how many drivers would join the M60 to look for the city centre rather than staying on the radial road they were on.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

There is some perverse pleasure in knowing that this sign (on a private driveway) still exists.
Attachments
PXL_20220418_133408588.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:59
Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15 Given the correct prescribed legend today is Manchester (C), and some signs do say this
There are other "M'cr city centre" signs. I'm not sure how many drivers would join the M60 to look for the city centre rather than staying on the radial road they were on.
Yes, in 1998 when the M60 was created the decision was taken to signpost "M'cr city centre" to avoid confusion with Salford which is its own city centre next door. I personally don't see the point as to most people outside the region Salford and Manchester city centres are in the same place to begin with (just on opposite banks of the Irwell).

All the "M'cr city centre" signs should always have said either "Manchester (C)" or "Central Manchester" in line with LTN 1/94 but I believe there were political reasons for the unusual approach. It certainly had nothing to do with the airport - "M'cr" has been an abbreviation from when the airport was still Ringway and in any case the IATA 3 letter code for it is MAN.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

nowster wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 13:06 There is some perverse pleasure in knowing that this sign (on a private driveway) still exists.
Glad to know that's still there! I spotted in 2010 on a trip down that way.
Bryn

SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:59 There are other "M'cr city centre" signs. I'm not sure how many drivers would join the M60 to look for the city centre rather than staying on the radial road they were on.
I think it's more about confirming that the junction is full access, and you can join the A62 in either direction - it's equivalent to "inbound" and "outbound". There are junctions where there are separate exit slips for the two directions, or ones where one direction can't be accessed at all - this sign makes it clear that this isn't the case here.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

SteelCamel wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 20:54
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:59 There are other "M'cr city centre" signs. I'm not sure how many drivers would join the M60 to look for the city centre rather than staying on the radial road they were on.
I think it's more about confirming that the junction is full access, and you can join the A62 in either direction - it's equivalent to "inbound" and "outbound". There are junctions where there are separate exit slips for the two directions, or ones where one direction can't be accessed at all - this sign makes it clear that this isn't the case here.
The "M'cr" abbreviation has always irritated me, likewise "B'ham".

In the case of "M'cr city centre" I personally think "Manchester (C)" would be more elegant, and fit just as easily on the sign.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 13:06 Yes, in 1998 when the M60 was created the decision was taken to signpost "M'cr city centre" to avoid confusion with Salford which is its own city centre next door. I personally don't see the point as to most people outside the region Salford and Manchester city centres are in the same place to begin with (just on opposite banks of the Irwell).
In theory yes. In practice as far I've been able to spot Salford City Centre no longer seems to exist. :stir: Is it the cathedral (where there's not much else looking like a city centre)? Is it the university area around Crescent station (this being Crescent station rather than Central would suggest not)? Is it "Salford Shopping City" which sounds like it should be the city centre but is just a neglected precinct in Pendleton?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 13:52
Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 13:06 Yes, in 1998 when the M60 was created the decision was taken to signpost "M'cr city centre" to avoid confusion with Salford which is its own city centre next door. I personally don't see the point as to most people outside the region Salford and Manchester city centres are in the same place to begin with (just on opposite banks of the Irwell).
In theory yes. In practice as far I've been able to spot Salford City Centre no longer seems to exist. :stir: Is it the cathedral (where there's not much else looking like a city centre)? Is it the university area around Crescent station (this being Crescent station rather than Central would suggest not)? Is it "Salford Shopping City" which sounds like it should be the city centre but is just a neglected precinct in Pendleton?
Officially it's Chapel Street/Greengate, hence why I said for most intents and purposes it's the same place as Manchester city centre which is across the river.

In terms of what feels like Salford city centre though, all three of your suggestions could be passed off as it if from certain points of view. Salford Shopping City is actually in Pendleton (which was demolished to make way for it), and Crescent Station only opened in 1989 when the Windsor rail link was added.

I think "Manchester (C)" and "Salford" being signed separately where appropriate is the best signing compromise here. This is done on the M602, and Salford is signed off up Albion Way where it then is never mentioned again - the next sign is "Crescent and Chapel St Area A6"...
Bryn

tom66

Post by tom66 »

nowster wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 13:06 There is some perverse pleasure in knowing that this sign (on a private driveway) still exists.
National speed limit - for vehicles travelling 45 degrees rolled to the carriageway axis. Does not apply if they are accessing the property.

It's very clear. I don't see what's confusing at all!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

To demonstrate that the botching of roadsigns is by no means exclusively a recent phenomenon... this is from an upcoming Pre-Warboys signs auction.

I don't think it's ever been formally known as the ELAIN VALLEY? Certainly not in its Anglicised form which would explain the whited-out letter 'I', <edit> however I gather the word Elan actually derives from the Welsh Elain - hind or fawn.

Last edited by Bfivethousand on Sat Apr 30, 2022 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 15:32
the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 13:52
Officially it's Chapel Street/Greengate, hence why I said for most intents and purposes it's the same place as Manchester city centre which is across the river.

In terms of what feels like Salford city centre though, all three of your suggestions could be passed off as it if from certain points of view. Salford Shopping City is actually in Pendleton (which was demolished to make way for it), and Crescent Station only opened in 1989 when the Windsor rail link was added.

I think "Manchester (C)" and "Salford" being signed separately where appropriate is the best signing compromise here. This is done on the M602, and Salford is signed off up Albion Way where it then is never mentioned again - the next sign is "Crescent and Chapel St Area A6"...
When we visited Greater Manchester in 2018, I had a stroll through Salford for an hour or so, looking for any "City centre" signs. I was disappointed but not surprised not to find any. :-P
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

I'm sure there's a more efficient way of signing this :)
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

I saw this one recently and thought of this thread - seems a bit unnecessary to have a 30MPH advisory max speed for a bend in a 30MPH limit (with the repeater underneath).

This one maybe isn't a botch as such. But spinning around to the reverse (it seems they like recycling), that's going to be one tricky diversion route...
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Jonathan24 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 23:33url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.52920 ... 384!8i8192]This[/url] one maybe isn't a botch as such.
The top line is in Helvetica, not Transport, so it is a botch in that sense!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Jonathan24 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 23:33….spinning around to the reverse[/url] (it seems they like recycling), that's going to be one tricky diversion route...
I’ve seen a similar one elsewhere in Shropshire, on the B4364 heading towards Bridgnorth. I’ll have a hunt on the street view later.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Was reminded of this classic as I passed it near Peebles yesterday

https://goo.gl/maps/WhL9H26jraVGxeZo8

It's repeated at least once further down the road as well.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

jnty

Post by jnty »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:48 Through road for buses?
Do we assume the narrowing just down the road was once, or was planned to be a bus gate?
Not actually a bad idea for junctions nearby a roundabout where turning right can be difficult at busy times.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

'Interesting' pair of end of dual carriageway signs on this short S2 link road built as part of the A90 Balmedie - Tippery project, as it goes down to S1.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Skermington wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 19:50 I'm sure there's a more efficient way of signing this :)
Could compliance be better with prohibition signs than ahead only?

I agree both are regularly broken. However it is hard to compare as ahead only is more common where the road design makes it difficult to make a prohibited turn. I suspect some drivers don't understand ahead only prohibits turns.