Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Johnathan404 »

Stevie D wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:42
jervi wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 01:30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.98705 ... 312!8i6656
Can anyone explain:
1. what this sign is supposed to mean
2. why is it here?

So okay yeah, the previous sign is mission "Town Centre". So maybe a stand-alone stack sign saying go right for the town centre may be appropriate.
But this sign. What on earth. Why would the B2112 be in brackets if it is the upcoming junction... And DON'T FOLLOW the A272 cause that way you are going to have to turn back at the next junction. Not sure if the whole thing is meant to have primary route colour background either.
It looks like all the signage on that road has been done by the work experience kid. It's inconsistent throughout, treats piddly little villages just the same as primary destinations ... and as for the height restriction warning, words fail me!
What is especially strange is that the reference to the A272 would have made sense before the railway bridge was completed, but the sign was put up after that happened!

On another note, what a horrendous bypass.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
jervi

Post by jervi »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 17:09 On another note, what a horrendous bypass.
Meh, it does the job. HH doesn't really need a "bypass" for through traffic. Although it does make provide a good alternative route when old A272 (now B2272) is clogged up. During peak hours it is a few minutes quicker than going through town, but not worth the extra 60% traveled in fuel (especially stopping and starting with roundabouts at 40-60MPH).
It was always intended to support new developments, but hopefully one day our high street can be closed to private vehicles and this would help.

Before the bypass was complete, the A272 has primary signage colours from the A22 (where it officially gain/losses PR status) all the way to the A24 (nearly), except for many signs in Haywards Heath (more than 75% incorrect). After the bypass was compete, the A272 now has entirely PR signage (at-least on the main route) for this entire length except this one horrid mess of signs at
( Ansty . Also there is this mess too.

But when they did the bypass they changed the "Long Distance" Destination for the East from "Lewes" to "Uckfield" (I'd agree with this one, cause for Lewes you would use the A27 instead of the A272, plus you need to use the non-primary A275). Although technically Uckfield is "Uckfield (A22)" like this brave sign decided to do.
And the West they changed it from "Petersfield" to "Billingshurst", luckily quite a few of the signs West of the A23 already had both destinations on signs, however on the bypass it says "Billingshurst", that then turns into "Petersfield" until you get to the A23. Again, it may just be because only a crazy person (or a road enthusiast) would travel from Haywards Heath to Petersfield solely using the A272
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

The old A39 in Cornwall from Fraddon (now the B3275) has a roundabout with the A3058 from Quintrell Downs towards St Austell where signs approaching the roundabout has had A39 green signs patched with B3275.
Approaching on the A3058 from Quintrell Downs: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35279 ... 312!8i6656
Approaching on the B3275 from Tresillian: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35068 ... 312!8i6656
Approaching on the B3275 from Fraddon: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35394 ... 312!8i6656
On the Roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35234 ... 312!8i6656 and https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35251 ... 312!8i6656
Now with added Grade Separation!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Stevie D wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:42
jervi wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 01:30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.98705 ... 312!8i6656
Can anyone explain:
1. what this sign is supposed to mean
2. why is it here?

So okay yeah, the previous sign is mission "Town Centre". So maybe a stand-alone stack sign saying go right for the town centre may be appropriate.
But this sign. What on earth. Why would the B2112 be in brackets if it is the upcoming junction... And DON'T FOLLOW the A272 cause that way you are going to have to turn back at the next junction. Not sure if the whole thing is meant to have primary route colour background either.
It looks like all the signage on that road has been done by the work experience kid. It's inconsistent throughout, treats piddly little villages just the same as primary destinations ... and as for the height restriction warning, words fail me!
Even this one is wrong!
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Arcuarius wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 14:27Even this one is wrong!
It probably is, but as you haven't given an actual link, I can't comment :lol:
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Stevie D wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 20:03
Try clicking the underlined "this one".😉

DB617

Post by DB617 »

Arcuarius wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 23:25
Stevie D wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 20:03
Try clicking the underlined "this one".😉
Have you tried clicking it? :laugh:

BBCode is fun.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

DB617 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 23:58 Have you tried clicking it? :laugh:

BBCode is fun.
Ah, damn it. I definitely pasted the address in earlier. Oh well, will fix in the morning :laugh:

Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

https://goo.gl/maps/8m2991bt2FvCaE3UA is the sign I meant. Sorry about that!

Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

jervi

Post by jervi »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 14:16 The worst of the lot...
OMG, it took me a couple of looks to see what was wrong with it.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Warning, nah let's make it a restriction. Even though the restriction starts after the exit of the roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86682 ... 312!8i6656
roadsignfan

Post by roadsignfan »

Firstly this sign is not an exact botch but it definitely wrong sign to be used.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86259 ... 312!8i6656

Next one is the T is too bold
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.44678 ... 312!8i6656

This 30 is used the wrong font
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.67861 ... 312!8i6656
I love to use google map to find a cool thing.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Been looking at the A270 In Brighton Recently (making a very large database of destination signs in Sussex, will do a post once I enter a few tens of thousand more records).
I'd say about 95% of the signs on the A270 are wrong. Either Outright made up signs, Incorrect colours, Incorrect destinations or misuse of signs.
Here are some unique ones.
Generic Left lane is buses missued (illegal use), taxis etc that is used everywhere. However the Left lane is a turning lane for ALL traffic, middle lane(s) is the restricted traffic lanes and right lane is ALL traffic. I have reported it to the council, they said they will look into it.
Non-standard Lane Destination sign Lacking Dash to show the Lane. Left lane should say "Lewes" "(A27)". Right should say "City Centre" "A270" to be consistent with all other signing. (Some signs say "Town Centre", but since 1997 B&H has been a city, so newer signs say "City Centre"). Plus at this point, two lanes don't really exist, but it is wide enough for two lanes to stack at this point.
The road to the left should just be signed as the A27 (with PR coloured flag) . Although technically it could be argued that it is still the A270, TSM states that slip roads entering a PR should be signed as the PR. Also shows "Brighton A270" and "Coldean" as ahead, although they are right turns (after the fly over). Should just have a flag on its own, then a Lane Destination sign for the next bit of road showing Brighton & Coldean as right turn.
Narrow Hard Shoulder sign really needed? Bering in mind you just left a NSL Dual carriageway with 3 lanes and no shoulder, why would anyone care if the fly over of 1 lane and 40MPH has a narrow one? And it is a full "hard shoulder" if you include the pavement that would never be used by anyone as it starts and ends between two flows of 40MPH traffic.
Does that no right turn sign apply to that aux lane on the right (that I have no idea of its purpose), or does it apply to the traffic lights? At the lights there is nothing saying no right(or u)turns, but arrow on the ground only has ahead? (for the right lane)
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

roadsignfan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:53 Next one is the T is too bold
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.44678 ... 312!8i6656
Also the S is too bold.
https://goo.gl/maps/DYVevinGX5DWSoYA6
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

jervi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 23:16 Non-standard Lane Destination sign Lacking Dash to show the Lane. Left lane should say "Lewes" "(A27)". Right should say "City Centre" "A270" to be consistent with all other signing. (Some signs say "Town Centre", but since 1997 B&H has been a city, so newer signs say "City Centre"). Plus at this point, two lanes don't really exist, but it is wide enough for two lanes to stack at this point.
The sign becomes redundant in the summer as you can't see it when the leaves are on the trees.
https://goo.gl/maps/Dh118RUJhuSduLor9
There's a keep left bollard at the end of the auxiliary lane to reinforce the no right turn here. I would guess that at some time in the past, you could turn right down the road opposite. Perhaps the lane's been truncated as it doesn't quite go far enough, though it's strange as to why it's been retained if the is the case.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Octaviadriver wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 09:55
There's a keep left bollard at the end of the auxiliary lane to reinforce the no right turn here. I would guess that at some time in the past, you could turn right down the road opposite. Perhaps the lane's been truncated as it doesn't quite go far enough, though it's strange as to why it's been retained if the is the case.
That's what I initially thought. But at-grade right turns on dual carriageways usually have a keep left sign. Although I'd set it back a bit further than its current position.
I'd imagine if you are wanting to do a u-turn it is better to do it using the aux, rather than the lights. using the aux means you can wait there until traffic at the lights turns red and gives an opportunity to do the maneuver, instead of waiting in the ahead lane at the lights waiting for a gap to appear in the oncoming traffic to make the u-turn, holding up traffic behind you (since there is only 1 ahead lane due to B&H's addition to Bus Lane fines).
roadsignfan

Post by roadsignfan »

I love to use google map to find a cool thing.
jervi

Post by jervi »

1 - Yes, sign wrong and missued.
2 - That sign is okay. Although it is potentially a little too far forward. Since the Slip road to the left leads to a non-primary route (except the through route), it should be marked as non-primary on the slip road, and the proceeding flag. If it was a stack sign, it should has a primary backing with a non-primary patch covering the whole thing. But it's a flag, so it's fine.
This however, is wrong. Left Lane should be non-primary There are many other issues with signage at this junction, such as blue signs, mismatched font sizes, incorrect use of PR colours
3 - The sign is as prescribed, however there is a lack of school. The University "students" may of used to cross the road ahead (now where the fly over is), so the sign could of been because of that. But a Pedestrians crossing ahead or cyclists crossing ahead would be more appropriate, or even a warning of traffic lights would be better.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jervi wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 15:57
1 - Yes, sign wrong and missued.
2 - That sign is okay. Although it is potentially a little too far forward. Since the Slip road to the left leads to a non-primary route (except the through route), it should be marked as non-primary on the slip road, and the proceeding flag. If it was a stack sign, it should has a primary backing with a non-primary patch covering the whole thing. But it's a flag, so it's fine.
This however, is wrong. Left Lane should be non-primary There are many other issues with signage at this junction, such as blue signs, mismatched font sizes, incorrect use of PR colours
3 - The sign is as prescribed, however there is a lack of school. The University "students" may of used to cross the road ahead (now where the fly over is), so the sign could of been because of that. But a Pedestrians crossing ahead or cyclists crossing ahead would be more appropriate, or even a warning of traffic lights would be better.
Hmm, re flag signs, shouldnt they only be used *at* the junction itself, not in advance?

The school triangle does look wrong, the figures are too small for the space in the sign and should be walking along the bottom of the sign, not in mid-air.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!