Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dougman

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Dougman »

I don't know if we've seen this before, but it was linked to on another part of the internet Yuck!. Added bonus: if you look at the streetview before someone vomited hard landscaping onto the road, they use the wrong pedestrian crossing sign too!
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Anyone got an idea why this weight restriction sign
IMG_20190422_171342888.jpg
has appeared since the Streetview car last went by.

For info, this bit of the B4363 has signs at each end with a 7.5t limit (not on streetview at the top of the hill, but there is this in advance of the roundabout and this very faded de-restriction sign, with this at the bottom.

Just one repeater (?) sign, mounted very high up and probably 95%+ of the way along the restriction. Odd.
Last edited by Big L on Mon Apr 22, 2019 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

That's a junction I use a lot and never even noticed the new sign. I assume there should be something below it to indicate which routes it applies to as otherwise lorries wouldn't be able to legally approach the roundabout. As far as I'm aware the only legal route for lorries from there is the A454 south.

At the same roundabout is this botch. Not just the plate which has been fixed below the sign but the spacing of the characters is also wrong. There should be a bigger gap between B and the numbers, not the other way round :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Correct me if this is in some way normal, but which one is it?! I can't see many people being able to make sense of that.

The weight restrictions in Caerau estate make no sense anyway. At the other main in/outflow, Heol Trelai - the higher quality road compared to Amroth Road - has a '5t except for access' sign, which is strange as all of the through roads - apart from a tiny S1 rat run past a school and onto the A4050 - connect back onto the A48. Therefore, the only traffic passing through that wasn't 'for access' would be onto the rat run. Which could have its own weight restriction. I dunno.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DB617 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:18Correct me if this is in some way normal, but which one is it?! I can't see many people being able to make sense of that.
That's just absurd. It needs just one weight restriction sign, with the plate indicating the times it applies and then the text "except for access".
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

I read it as:

-No goods vehicles with a permitted MGW over 7.5 tons except for access
-In addition, no such vehicles except between 9am and 5pm

Therefore, access only between 9am and 5pm, complete ban outside these hours

A single plate with a time and restrictions would imply 9am-5pm is access only, full access outside these hours

I’d be curious to know what is specified in the TRO

Of course, I guess if my reading were the correct interpretation, it should be
-7.5t
-At any time
-Except for access

And then below

-7.5t
-Between 9am-5pm

Yuck
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

I feel the same way about the hundreds of London Lorry Control signs, e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5505967 ... 384!8i8192

Lengthy explanation of time restrictions, then "Except permit holders". Why not just ban all lorries apart from permit holders, and make the online haulier portal automatically approve deliveries within the irrelevant hours?
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Fahad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 04:07 I feel the same way about the hundreds of London Lorry Control signs, e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5505967 ... 384!8i8192

Lengthy explanation of time restrictions, then "Except permit holders". Why not just ban all lorries apart from permit holders, and make the online haulier portal automatically approve deliveries within the irrelevant hours?
The LLCS signs are symptomatic of the way the scheme is administered (by London Councils). Most of the signs are out of date, because the weight limit is now 18t not 16.5t as many of the signs say. LB Barnet still has lots of signs up even though they are no longer part of the scheme. And the enforcement or permissions are absurd. But that's a story for another day.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 18:42
doebag wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 14:17 Centre of Wisbech, by the Town Bridge

https://goo.gl/maps/VyidM1GF9So

What is there legally to stop a car passing to the right of the man in the blue shirt ? As I witnessed this morning.
No 'No Entry' signage, no 'Keep Left' on the left hand bollard
There is no legal requirement to install Keep Left or No entry signs.

Anyone driving with due care and attention will see the Give Way lines, the island and the edge of carriageway lines beyond, indicating where they may turn right.
So are you saying the double dash give way lines also indicate No Entry
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

doebag wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 So are you saying the double dash give way lines also indicate No Entry
Cough: https://goo.gl/maps/Dpabin29XHRmsf12A
doebag

Post by doebag »

nowster wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:53
doebag wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 So are you saying the double dash give way lines also indicate No Entry
Cough: https://goo.gl/maps/Dpabin29XHRmsf12A
Exactly, I never thought they did, but Conekickers reply seemed to imply they do. So back to my original post, what is there legally to stop a car passing to the right of the island where the man in the blue shirt is standing ?
linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

I'm not sure what is wrong with the rectangular "One Way" sign below the blue arrow. I walk by it 6 days a week and it is almost always at a different angle to the day before. If you look at it from behind the silver car on the left of the image, you'll see it is almost facing the correct way (which is rare).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.45794 ... 312!8i6656
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Little bit of an oops on a streetlit section of the A611 near Hucknall. I pass it every day but have only recently noticed it for the overgrown vegetation. It's meant to be a 50 limit through here...
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

While you're on the topic of weight restriction signs, the implementation of this ADS seems wrong as the connecting roads are only barred from such vehicles 'except for access', in which case the respective symbols should not be shown on the ADS.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Skye wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 13:49 While you're on the topic of weight restriction signs, the implementation of this ADS seems wrong as the connecting roads are only barred from such vehicles 'except for access', in which case the respective symbols should not be shown on the ADS.
For such a new sign, the roundels should also feature the lowercase 't'.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

doebag wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15
Conekicker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 18:42
doebag wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 14:17 Centre of Wisbech, by the Town Bridge

https://goo.gl/maps/VyidM1GF9So

What is there legally to stop a car passing to the right of the man in the blue shirt ? As I witnessed this morning.
No 'No Entry' signage, no 'Keep Left' on the left hand bollard
There is no legal requirement to install Keep Left or No entry signs.

Anyone driving with due care and attention will see the Give Way lines, the island and the edge of carriageway lines beyond, indicating where they may turn right.
So are you saying the double dash give way lines also indicate No Entry
No, they indicate exactly what TSRGD says, which is, "Vehicular traffic must give way in accordance with the requirements in paragraph 7 of Part 7" and nothing else.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Skye wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 13:49 While you're on the topic of weight restriction signs, the implementation of this ADS seems wrong as the connecting roads are only barred from such vehicles 'except for access', in which case the respective symbols should not be shown on the ADS.
They're OK. It's quite conventional to display environmental weight limits on such signs regardless of the various exemptions that may apply. Any such exemptions are only displayed at the point of entry to the restriction.

There are very few situations where no exemptions apply to an environmental weight limit. If there was a rule preventing such limits with exemptions being displayed on direction signs you'd barely see them anywhere.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
mnb20

Post by mnb20 »

Surely going the wrong side of the bollard there is just like driving on the wrong side of the road anywhere else - it's not illegal, but if there is an accident you are likely to be found at fault, and could potentially be guilty of dangerous driving.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 16:10
nowster wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 15:12
Andy33gmail wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 14:32 So, legally, you can go straight on a straight arrow

On a right arrow, presumably you can legally u-turn but not turn right?
If you look at GSV, the original configuration was left and straight ahead.

I reported it using fixmystreet.com and had a reply back from TfGM within 10 minutes.
Thanks, it has been reported as a fault and is with our signal maintenance company to rectify
At least it is being rectified. A similar one happened to me when I reported a Keep RIGHT bollard on a normal single carriageway refuge island...
Not fixed a week later...
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Bfivethousand wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 08:53
They're OK. It's quite conventional to display environmental weight limits on such signs regardless of the various exemptions that may apply. Any such exemptions are only displayed at the point of entry to the restriction.

There are very few situations where no exemptions apply to an environmental weight limit. If there was a rule preventing such limits with exemptions being displayed on direction signs you'd barely see them anywhere.
So what can be made of this?:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6765332 ... 384!8i8192

Further up the A674 the weight restriction is qualified by "Except for access", which is lucky because there's a coach depot and a petrol station up there!