Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B4133
Banned

Botched Roadsigns

Post by B4133 »

If anyonje has seen an type of roadsign which is botched post them here:

I'll start off with
No overtaking, but both cars are in black. The signs located in Honley.Just goes to show that Kirklees Council doesnt konw what they're doing.
A629 Roundabout sign at Chapeltown (sheffield), the A629 is in white not yellow as the sign has it on a green backed plate on black on white (non primary sign).

Any more?
RichardA35
Committee Member

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by RichardA35 »

B4133 wrote:If anyonje has seen an type of roadsign which is botched post them here:

I'll start off with
No overtaking, but both cars are in black. The signs located in Honley.Just goes to show that Kirklees Council doesnt konw what they're doing.
A629 Roundabout sign at Chapeltown (sheffield), the A629 is in white not yellow as the sign has it on a green backed plate on black on white (non primary sign).

Any more?
What did the councils say when you told them?
B4133
Banned

Post by B4133 »

I haven't told them yet.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I've seen roundabout signs that are upside down (e.g. Manchester Airport have one), or have the arrows on the wrong angles.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

As I've written before there was an:

A1
Hatfield & The Norht

route confirmation sign erected on the A1 in Barnet, North London some years ago. It made it into the national newspapers, a few days later it was replaced.
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

Center Parcs in Longleat has several 'No cycling' signs but with a red stripe painted on them instead like this.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvi ... ycling.jpg

In a way it looks like a double negative because it looks like it's trying to sat "No no cycling allowed".
6 years...
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

There's one in Worcester that says "City center" that I cringe at.

Also in Worcester, there's a sign to "Droitwich A4583" - but the A4583 doesn't exist, it should be A4538.

Matthew's avatar is a good one too.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

There is of course this classic roundabout sign in the photo gallery...
Makes me smile every time.

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

There's another one of these beauties now... at the Weelsby Road / Humberston Road roundabout in Cleethorpes.

I really should take a camera on me travels... :?
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Spotted this a couple of weeks ago:

mittfh

Post by mittfh »

So many dodgy signs are around...

Andrew's avatar tickles me - is it a 1:3 climb or a 1:3 drop?
Halsted's avatar as well - no motor vehicles, 20mph speed limit. As if the cops are going to sit there with radar guns hoping to break the record for number of "furious" cyclists caught...

All signs below are thumbnails that link to the full-size version.

Then there was this gem in Bromsgrove (now removed):

Apologies for the quality - it was dusk at the time and my then camera had no exposure controls)

This pair of fingerposts near Leominster:

Nice signpost, shame about the route number...

Just to prove the Welsh aren't immune - One Way...Except for Access!

Clee Hill needs stronger glue...

Contractors notice a temporary sign is wrong when it gets into the field. Rather than returning it, they grab some letters from a local DIY store - then when the glue fails, resort to a permanent marker...

And you all know this one by now!

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

The best local example that I know of can be found on the exit from Cheshire Oaks. It’s a roundabout sign that states the ‘A5517’ is the third exit. In reality, the third exit is actually the B5132. The A5117 (which is what they mean, I suppose), is actually found on the next roundabout up, not the one they’re signposting. Infact, this sign did recently appear in the quizzes, but I can’t for the life of me find it at the moment.

Another one can be found on Merseyton Road on the approach to junction 8 of the M53. It’s a very old roundabout sign which still states the motorway as the M531. Actually to be fair, both 'M531's were patched over but one of the patchs went missing a couple of years ago and it’s never been replaced. I’m almost certain it’s now the only surviving sign dating back to the M531 era (to show it as the M531 that is, with or without patches) still in use on public roads.

I’m fairly sure there used to be a sign which did once state the ‘B5643’ rather than the B5463, but that’s long gone and replaced by an all new sign showing the correct number.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
JohnM23

Post by JohnM23 »

i think i remember seeing a photo someone posted of a road marking somewhere that said, "Turn Leet" as opposed to "Turn Left" :lol: :lol: it still cracks me up
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

on the A558 in Runcorn, there are (or at least used to be) signs for the A588. :lol: :P
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

How about this brand new one on the A9?

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/a ... C00530.jpg

Somebody at Transerv needs a measuring tape...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr ... e=UTF8&z=8

But on a more positive note, this abortion of an ADS (and the other two after it) have been replaced at long last...

:clap: :clap: :D

That just leaves Highland Council to sort the even worse one on the approach from the A832...
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Dave908 wrote:on the A558 in Runcorn, there are (or at least used to be) signs for the A588. :lol: :P
There still are, plus at least one referring to the A533 as the A553 :roll:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
GrahamP

Post by GrahamP »

Glen wrote:How about this brand new one on the A9?

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/a ... C00530.jpg

Somebody at Transerv needs a measuring tape...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr ... e=UTF8&z=8
According to Google, it's 117 miles via Struie Brae and Bonar Bridge. Methinks that sign has just never been updated since the Dornoch Bridge opened.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

GrahamP wrote: According to Google, it's 117 miles via Struie Brae and Bonar Bridge. Methinks that sign has just never been updated since the Dornoch Bridge opened.
No, that is brand new (ie a few months old).
The sign was replaced when the Dornoch Bridge was opened, then replaced again this year.
Two things make that sign too new to be pre-Dornoch: 1) The A9 didn't go to Thurso then; 2) The style of the sign with the "(A835)" instead of listing everything under "A9" is a more recent change of signing rules.
GrahamP

Post by GrahamP »

Aye, but what I mean is, the information (specifically the distance to Thurso) has probably never been updated since the Dornoch Bridge opened. When the physical sign was replaced, I'm guessing that the distance got copied across, with nobody engaging brain about the road now taking a shorter route.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

GrahamP wrote:Aye, but what I mean is, the information (specifically the distance to Thurso) has probably never been updated since the Dornoch Bridge opened. When the physical sign was replaced, I'm guessing that the distance got copied across, with nobody engaging brain about the road now taking a shorter route.
The signs were changed when the bridge opened, here is the original which someone else uploaded to the gallery from 1990.

And here is the one that was there until this year:

Also, as you can see Thurso was never previously signed as the A9 went to Wick/JOG.