Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 22:15
TS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08"Poole 3049" - would that be the A3049 or the B3049? (Obviously it's an A as it's a primary route, but even so!)

https://goo.gl/maps/FuCdVJAF8coBdc126
That's a beauty - it also has a panel of a different colour within a flag sign, which is not permitted, and a blue-bordered local direction sign when the whole assembly looks like it was erected much more recently than 1994. The whole thing is a nasty bodge. Whoever quality checked that?
Please sir, I know that answer sir, is it nobody?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 22:22Please sir, I know that answer sir, is it nobody?
Go to the top of the class!
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Are we happy with "... Industrial estates" on that sign? I'm not sure what the rules are but would have thought that (where, as here, the phrase is preceded by the name of a place) either both words should be capitalised, or neither.
A Challenge

Post by A Challenge »

At the junction of the A40 and A412 in Denham (just north of M40 J1), there is a flag sign pointing right for the straight on route. Although this is meant for traffic turning right onto the A40 and there is another right turn flag in the central reservation, the angle of the poles means it looks like it is for you coming up the westbound A40. Quite why the flag sign is placed diagonally so you can see it going straight on, I don't know, but it could confuse a lost motorist.
AutomaticBeloved

Post by AutomaticBeloved »

Saw this last night approaching a trumpet junction, not seen anything like it in the UK at least.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9901244 ... 312!8i6656
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

AutomaticBeloved wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 07:40 Saw this last night approaching a trumpet junction, not seen anything like it in the UK at least.

Reminds me of the M40 "Bunny Ears" sign as you approach the M42 - although going up there yesterday that now has been replaced since the junction was adjusted use tiger tails.
Let it snow.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AutomaticBeloved wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 07:40 Saw this last night approaching a trumpet junction, not seen anything like it in the UK at least.

Ridiculously and laughably needless. You take a sliproad on the left to reach a destination on the right in so many places, what’s so different here? I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t just be a normal fork sign.

If the problem is people not expecting the corners, then... we have actual warning signs for that.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I don't know if this is a botch or if it's a legacy of the road's former number, but the A2034 into Folkestone is signed as A20. Both SABRE Maps and Google Maps are showing the road as A2034.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Owain wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 09:59 I don't know if this is a botch or if it's a legacy of the road's former number, but the A2034 into Folkestone is signed as A20. Both SABRE Maps and Google Maps are showing the road as A2034.
And here's the motorway's exit fork sign.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

The (M20) is in the wrong font here, and there is no mention of the straight ahead route through the tunnel still being the A20.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.10956 ... 312!8i6656
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

On both signs the triangle doesn't look to be big enough to me, it should be 20 s/w high (with an extra 0.5 s/w white border, which is missing from both signs), so 21 s/w total symbol height.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 16:22 The (M20) is in the wrong font here, and there is no mention of the straight ahead route through the tunnel still being the A20.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.10956 ... 312!8i6656
Something is off with the sign, it's probably the size or the font, as you said. But don't see why I would need to have A20 on the sign, just having (M20) I'd say is better than A20 as prohibited traffic is definitely going to leave the road as they may think there is a motorway ahead, and not just a tunnel. But that being said, why didn't the M20 make it too this junction, it would be easier to have Motorway Regs rather than have Prohibited traffic orders between two junction, as well as motorway regs on the next section of road.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 09:20 Reminds me of the M40 "Bunny Ears" sign as you approach the M42 - although going up there yesterday that now has been replaced since the junction was adjusted use tiger tails.
I was mistaken. Bunny is still there - went past today, it's just further back than I remember it.
Let it snow.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 22:15
TS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08"Poole 3049" - would that be the A3049 or the B3049? (Obviously it's an A as it's a primary route, but even so!)

https://goo.gl/maps/FuCdVJAF8coBdc126
That's a beauty - it also has a panel of a different colour within a flag sign, which is not permitted, and a blue-bordered local direction sign when the whole assembly looks like it was erected much more recently than 1994. The whole thing is a nasty bodge. Whoever quality checked that?
Some panels are permitted within flag signs - tourist destinations included.

Still a bit of a bodgefest...
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Ah yes, the recent improvement at Scotch Corner. Some of the designers proposals were indeed "a little bit different". It seems some recommendations passed on to them were ignored. How very unexpected.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 22:15... it also has a panel of a different colour within a flag sign, which is not permitted ...
On a flag sign, panels of a status higher than that of the main sign aren't permitted. You couldn't have a motorway panel on a primary route sign, for example, as the sign itself takes the colour of the highest status road available at that junction.

Tourist destinations come below non-primary routes but above cycle routes in that hierarchy, so they're perfectly fine, so long as it's the entire block included within that panel, and not just a route number.

Of course, it may have changed (I've been stuck in structural maintenance for the past three years) but I believe Guildford Rules haven't been updated as of yet.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I try and avoid tourist panels are part of a larger sign as if the panel needs changing you get a coverplate disaster scenario.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Another botched roundabout sign.
Attachments
IMG_20191206_095034~2.jpg
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

nowster wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 21:26 Another botched roundabout sign.
Don't mind if I do follow that...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.