Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 14:14
TS wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:49 Last time I checked, 183 was an odd number!

Rempstone.jpg
Absolutely, his mate 181 is a bit dodgy too :lol:

Some of these errors amaze me that they escape several people checking designs. Can only conclude QA processes aren't worth the paper people print them on.
Can only conclude design checks never (or VERY rarely) happen. It's a big part of my role now - not certain the designers like me picking their work apart but some of the errors are "school boy" and easily fixed.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 14:08
TS wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:49 Last time I checked, 183 was an odd number!

Rempstone.jpg

Some of these errors amaze me that they escape several people checking designs. Can only conclude QA processes aren't worth the paper people print them on.
Can only conclude design checks never (or VERY rarely) happen. It's a big part of my role now - not certain the designers like me picking their work apart but some of the errors are "school boy" and easily fixed.
I like to give the big boys the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that the QA process is more concerned with BIM compliance in terms of file names and title blocks than what is actually contained within the drawing frame these days.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

TS wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 16:27 Still doesn't beat the "3 yards" here
https://goo.gl/maps/cLeYpT8xPQVjtRFx7
...which even then might be an overstatement!
And it looks like it used to say 30 yards :confused:
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Interesting one I spotted in Epsom today. Lane 3 was recently re-marked as opposite direction (now a two-way road). The sign just looks wrong, although I’m not sure what would be better, given that Surrey CC have chosen not to replace the sign as it’s relatively new.

A no-entry symbol?
Patch over the two arrows under ‘A24’ with just one arrow?
73DAF326-23C3-453F-A51D-D173FF5BF3C4.jpeg
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

A320Driver wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 17:16 Interesting one I spotted in Epsom today. Lane 3 was recently re-marked as opposite direction (now a two-way road). The sign just looks wrong, although I’m not sure what would be better, given that Surrey CC have chosen not to replace the sign as it’s relatively new.

A no-entry symbol?
Yes, a patch showing just one arrow under A24 just as for B280 would be the correct way to do it. There's nothing to say that a lane designation sign can only be used on one-way roads – it is common to use them on two-way roads and there's then no need to make any mention of oncoming lanes.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Is Epsom the latest ring road to be converted to two way? This is a retrograde step which adds conflicting movements. West Bromwich, Telford and Ashford ring roads received the same treatment. Instead of freeflowing LILO's there are now delays which never existed before :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 14:13
Conekicker wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 14:08

I like to give the big boys the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that the QA process is more concerned with BIM compliance in terms of file names and title blocks than what is actually contained within the drawing frame these days.
Seen that in other industries, the QA function is gradually deskilled and staff end up concerning themselves with spelling mistakes rather than technical ones.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 22:15 Is Epsom the latest ring road to be converted to two way? This is a retrograde step which adds conflicting movements. West Bromwich, Telford and Ashford ring roads received the same treatment. Instead of freeflowing LILO's there are now delays which never existed before :@
No, it’s just the western flank that has been converted to two-way.

I have to say, it works rather well, and will reduce congestion around the town centre.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Obviously abandoned signs, but all of these no waiting regulations for trucks and buses in the middle of New Malden junction's roundabout, with all the surroundings being a red route anyway: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.39926 ... 384!8i8192
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

A320Driver wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 17:16 Interesting one I spotted in Epsom today. Lane 3 was recently re-marked as opposite direction (now a two-way road). The sign just looks wrong, although I’m not sure what would be better, given that Surrey CC have chosen not to replace the sign as it’s relatively new.

A no-entry symbol?
73DAF326-23C3-453F-A51D-D173FF5BF3C4.jpeg
Based on the sign alone, this looks potentially quite dangerous - at a glance it could easily look like a sign for a one-way street, or it could imply that the road is going one-way ahead. Maybe it's clearer on hte road and so that's not a risk?
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Shipley, straight ahead.

And that's final.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Just looking on GSV and there appears to be lots of new signs around Llandudno town centre using various coloured borders. Surely non standard. This one has a green, brown, red and blue border https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3221048 ... 312!8i6656 and has only appeared in the last few years.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Presume there is a sign somewhere on the way in that explains the coliur codes.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Rambo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 21:34 Just looking on GSV and there appears to be lots of new signs around Llandudno town centre using various coloured borders. Surely non standard. This one has a green, brown, red and blue border https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3221048 ... 312!8i6656 and has only appeared in the last few years.
They would appear to denote different classes of car park. I'd guess there's short stay, medium stay, long stay and, this being a holiday resort, very long stay. It's a shame that we can't tell from this which is which (though one could make a couple of educated guesses).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Rambo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 21:34 Just looking on GSV and there appears to be lots of new signs around Llandudno town centre using various coloured borders. Surely non standard. This one has a green, brown, red and blue border https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3221048 ... 312!8i6656 and has only appeared in the last few years.
They did this at Cardiff Airport for a whole after a rather comprehensive re-signing project on the approach road. Except that the colour coding was using various fluorescent hi-vis colours and two-letter codes, with the legend on a separate sign. All on a 50mph bendy and complex S2 road. All gone now, because it was utterly baffling.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The colour codes seem a bit overkill. I'm not sure what is wrong with a simple sign saying 'Long Stay car park' etc. Just the council trying to complicate things as usual.
TS

Post by TS »

Pretty sure this is wrong - If it was a primary route just here, one of the pairs of brackets would be unnecessary; if both are necessary, then the sign shouldn't be green.

(I've faced this sign at the traffic lights a zillion times and only yesterday did I muse that it shouldn't be green!)

https://goo.gl/maps/Kg19k2m4CNtF6eNz6
jervi

Post by jervi »

TS wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 Pretty sure this is wrong - If it was a primary route just here, one of the pairs of brackets would be unnecessary; if both are necessary, then the sign shouldn't be green.

(I've faced this sign at the traffic lights a zillion times and only yesterday did I muse that it shouldn't be green!)

https://goo.gl/maps/Kg19k2m4CNtF6eNz6
Yup that is wrong.
However it isn't uncommon to see roads (especially links) near a primary route to have primary route signs on the way "out of town". Much of the A2011 leaving Crawley has primary signs.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.11404 ... 312!8i6656
No entry except for buses and taxis, but yeah lets put a cycle lane there.
TS

Post by TS »

jervi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 13:27 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.11404 ... 312!8i6656
No entry except for buses and taxis, but yeah lets put a cycle lane there.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't they have to put "except ... cyclists", otherwise the cycle lane would be unusuable?