Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by the cheesecake man »

Bfivethousand wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 23:03 If you don't like those, you're pretty unlikely to like this one too.
Nor this one. While I'm sure the experts on here can point out non-compliance it does the job: it's not a particularly steep hill but a very long one with a precipitous drop and a fantastic view of Manchester to distract you.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

This old ADS is of a somewhat botched design but what bothers me more is it's orientation from the main carriageway, I don't think I've ever noticed it when travelling along there. Given the space constraints it would ideally be on some sort of gantry but I don't think that will ever happen.

Similarly dodgy design here as well but at least it can't be missed.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Patrick Harper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 13:11 This old ADS is of a somewhat botched design but what bothers me more is it's orientation from the main carriageway, I don't think I've ever noticed it when travelling along there. Given the space constraints it would ideally be on some sort of gantry but I don't think that will ever happen.

Angling of signs is not ideal but if concern about reflectivity exists then the option to illuminate the sign remains.

Of course if we used strategic destination planning on signs instead of hyper parochial nonsense then that ADS could be a lot smaller.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Apart from the angling and siting, where are the chopsticks on both of those Chilworth Roundabout ADS?!

I'm certain I could have designed both of them to include the chopsticks on the Motorway Panels, as well as making better usage of sign area!

Chris Williams
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Just had this sent to me..
Attachments
9ED553D7-F26C-413B-B263-D0539F0DF716.jpeg
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Patrick Harper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 13:11 This old ADS is of a somewhat botched design but what bothers me more is it's orientation from the main carriageway, I don't think I've ever noticed it when travelling along there. Given the space constraints it would ideally be on some sort of gantry but I don't think that will ever happen.

Knowing Southampton City Council, they'd probably put the sign directly on the pavement if they ever moved it. Noticed it the first day I moved there. By the way the A27 arm peels off from the M3 arm you'd think the exits were immediate rather than after an entire petrol station.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Chris56000 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 19:59 Hi!

Apart from the angling and siting, where are the chopsticks on both of those Chilworth Roundabout ADS?!

I'm certain I could have designed both of them to include the chopsticks on the Motorway Panels, as well as making better usage of sign area!

Chris Williams
That would also be wrong as the M3 doesn't start at the roundabout, it starts at the fork-like interchange 150m north from there, so the blue patch should only cover 'M3'.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Technically they should have chopsticks as there are two arms pictured, one for the M3 and one for the A27 to Romsey
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I drove back from the Wirral today and cut the corner between the M53 and M56 via the A5117 past Stanlow. It seems a cycle way has been installed east bound only and one or two old blue bordered signs have been replaced by new versions with a blue background. Is there any reason why these have been designed like Motorway signs?
Attachments
a5117 1.jpg
a5117 2.jpg
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Does follow M8 mean Glasgow (M8) or Glasgow Airport (M8)?

Equivalent signs before and after the M74 extension opened which explains the history including like for like replacement. Previous signs were fine as gantries only signed M8 via M73.

Avoiding the M8 altogether and taking the M73/M80/A84 would be easier and usually quicker.

IMO Aberfoyle isn't significant enough to signed from here.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 20:57I drove back from the Wirral today and cut the corner between the M53 and M56 via the A5117 past Stanlow. It seems a cycle way has been installed east bound only and one or two old blue bordered signs have been replaced by new versions with a blue background. Is there any reason why these have been designed like Motorway signs?
Yes, there is. Incompetence!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:46
Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 20:57I drove back from the Wirral today and cut the corner between the M53 and M56 via the A5117 past Stanlow. It seems a cycle way has been installed east bound only and one or two old blue bordered signs have been replaced by new versions with a blue background. Is there any reason why these have been designed like Motorway signs?
:facepalm:
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

The road from Gleadless to Mosborough via Highlane has been the B6388 for ages, but the sign in the middle of Highlane still shows it as the B6054.

It's probably related to the fact that the two ends of the road are in the City of Sheffield (and are correctly signed as B6388), but this section runs through Derbyshire.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I guess the church roof needs fixing as always, hence the bargain bucket nature of this little beauty!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Rambo wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 21:05
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 09:46
:facepalm:
I noticed these too. They went onto my Twitter feed for immediate mockery.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
solocle

Post by solocle »

Patrick Harper wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 23:23
Chris56000 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 19:59 Hi!

Chris Williams
That would also be wrong as the M3 doesn't start at the roundabout, it starts at the fork-like interchange 150m north from there, so the blue patch should only cover 'M3'.
Ugh, that one, it's one, actually a movement I've made on my bike.
Capture.JPG
So you need to avoid confusing NMUs too (I was headed to Winchester).
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

swissferry wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 22:54 Does follow M8 mean Glasgow (M8) or Glasgow Airport (M8)?

Equivalent signs before and after the M74 extension opened which explains the history including like for like replacement. Previous signs were fine as gantries only signed M8 via M73.

Avoiding the M8 altogether and taking the M73/M80/A84 would be easier and usually quicker.

IMO Aberfoyle isn't significant enough to signed from here.
Either route is valid, but yes, seems weird to be signing Aberfoyle from there!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Right, left, right..
Attachments
bury.jpg
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Rambo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 22:34 Right, left, right..
To be fair, the Town Hall was an 'ahead' destination back in 2008 - the patching is seamless!

A cheap and cheerful fix as opposed to stumping up for a brand new sign which probably hadn't been in place all that long way back then.