Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andy33gmail

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Andy33gmail »

Could have just over-estimated and said 7/10-3/11 6pm - 6am
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Andy33gmail wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:15 Could have just over-estimated and said 7/10-3/11 6pm - 6am
That would seem the normal way of doing things. I think they're being so specific because those times relate fairly closely to the first trains of the day through the crossing and station, and as the only method of foot or cycle access within 15 minutes of the station is said crossing, they're trying to get it open before the first train. But I can barely read the text on foot, let alone make sense of the number soup...
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Our Sheffield area members may have something to say about this sign. I wonder when this was erected, as the black on white A6135 does not appear to be plated over the former A616 number:-

www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2857855,-1.29 ... 6656?hl=en

If you scroll back a few hundred yards to the roundabout with the A619, you will see that the flag sign leading onto the spur road to the M1 is for a non-primary road.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Spotted on the A4232 at Penarth, this direction sign for the University Hospital.

English: Llandough
Welsh: Llandochau
Cardiff Council not giving two hoots: Llandoche

Seriously. If you're going to Cymraeg like that, please don't bother.

Incidentally, the hospital in question is my place of birth! I can assure you that abomination does not feature on my birth certificate.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 19:59 Our Sheffield area members may have something to say about this sign. I wonder when this was erected, as the black on white A6135 does not appear to be plated over the former A616 number:-

If you scroll back a few hundred yards to the roundabout with the A619, you will see that the flag sign leading onto the spur road to the M1 is for a non-primary road.
It must be fairly recent as the M1 panel includes the junction number. Definitely the wrong colour.
TS

Post by TS »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 13:50
Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 19:59 Our Sheffield area members may have something to say about this sign. I wonder when this was erected, as the black on white A6135 does not appear to be plated over the former A616 number:-

It must be fairly recent as the M1 panel includes the junction number. Definitely the wrong colour.
It was there in the 2008 Google Street View reached from the link above. Although it had a black-on-yellow triangle
to the right, which is now patched over.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

TS wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 17:28
the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 13:50

It was there in the 2008 Google Street View reached from the link above. Although it had a black-on-yellow triangle
to the right, which is now patched over.
So it was. It still shouldn't be green though.
doebag

Post by doebag »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 13:03 St Ives again: all routes this way but it's a dead end . I assume the dead end sign is intended only to refer to going straight on at the junction but it's not as clear as it should be.
Someone has been playing naughty boys, and spun it around
GSV May 2015 shows the sign facing the other way, which would be correct as Crown Street is bollarded, making Market Hill/The Pavement a loop .
roadmart

Post by roadmart »

Has anyone mentioned Collumpton instead of Cullompton on the M5? Or Hounstone instead of Houndstone in Yeovil?
stevenson3529

Post by stevenson3529 »

Found at the junction where the non-primary A370 meets the B3133.
No route number? Wrong colour? No problem!

https://goo.gl/maps/gfLwLiXnDkMpPJkRA
TS

Post by TS »

"Poole 3049" - would that be the A3049 or the B3049? (Obviously it's an A as it's a primary route, but even so!)

https://goo.gl/maps/FuCdVJAF8coBdc126
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Steep down hill. Look at the houses on the skyline to see how steeply this road goes down ! The signs are right at the top.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Big L wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 17:32 Steep down hill. Look at the houses on the skyline to see how steeply this road goes down ! The signs are right at the top.
Its great that the sign says "for Waterfall Lane Residential Area Only", yet there is a Local Destination sign for "Blackheath" of the exact same post. Like what do you want me to do?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jervi wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 21:27
Big L wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 17:32 Steep down hill. Look at the houses on the skyline to see how steeply this road goes down ! The signs are right at the top.
Its great that the sign says "for Waterfall Lane Residential Area Only", yet there is a Local Destination sign for "Blackheath" of the exact same post. Like what do you want me to do?
This is Sandwell. You expect clear or consistent signage? Do me a favour :(
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

There's nothing actually wrong with this sign, assuming you can see it. It's a case of which came first, the road sign or the bus stop? If my memory serves me correctly this road was a bus route long before the humps were installed.

https://goo.gl/maps/u8eH7YVemSaGLTry5
jervi

Post by jervi »

PhilC wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 There's nothing actually wrong with this sign, assuming you can see it. It's a case of which came first, the road sign or the bus stop? If my memory serves me correctly this road was a bus route long before the humps were installed.

Maybe the bus-stop sign changed but remained on the same post?
But the junction ahead (where the warning is for) is very odd. Why does the bollard have a keep left sign on it when clearly you can use the right side (according to the road markings). And what's the point of having that bit of oval shaped road, why not just have a normal T-junction. By the looks of it, it was repaved in the last 10 years looking at historic GSV.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

PhilC wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 There's nothing actually wrong with this sign, assuming you can see it. It's a case of which came first, the road sign or the bus stop? If my memory serves me correctly this road was a bus route long before the humps were installed.

Fun fact - as you look in that direction, the left-hand side of the road is in Birmingham, the right-hand side is in Solihull. And yes, it has been a bus route forever. The bus stop flag sign may have been moved, however, to in front of the hump warning sign. It looks quite new.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

jervi wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 13:52

Maybe the bus-stop sign changed but remained on the same post?
But the junction ahead (where the warning is for) is very odd. Why does the bollard have a keep left sign on it when clearly you can use the right side (according to the road markings). And what's the point of having that bit of oval shaped road, why not just have a normal T-junction. By the looks of it, it was repaved in the last 10 years looking at historic GSV.
Well spotted with the second bodge of the keep left bollard on an island you can drive either side of. I must drive past it two or three times a week and never noticed. There is in fact a second junction with this arrangement further back up the road. There used to be a lamp post on the island - you can still see the stump alongside the bollard. I think the housing estate was built in the late 1920s with a concrete slab surface. More recently tarmac was laid over the concrete.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

More entertainment of the if you don't laugh you'll definitely cry sort, from the genius traffic management experts at Griffiths of Abergavenny. The site office at the A4226 diversion is filling up again, and apparently someone's done an audit of the speed limit signs while the 60mph design speed road remains 30mph three months after opening. The NSL signs at the northern end, previously 'disabled' by a strip of grey paint over the black stripe, have obviously been requested to be properly covered. One has a binbag on it, fair enough. They clearly ran out of binbags, because the other has been duly covered with clingfilm. Clear clingfilm. These people do complex groundwork and drainage. :shock: (though not sure why I look shocked, as the road's cutting has suffered two landslips since opening and one major, PR-bruising flash flood)

To add insult to injury, they've covered the Council's 40mph terminal signs up leading onto the A48 with strips of black insulation tape. They're clearly still 40 signs, just rather vandalised. Leaving that section of the A48 limited to ???mph. I dunno guys, I really don't think this stuff is difficult. What is going on in this industry?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

TS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08"Poole 3049" - would that be the A3049 or the B3049? (Obviously it's an A as it's a primary route, but even so!)

https://goo.gl/maps/FuCdVJAF8coBdc126
That's a beauty - it also has a panel of a different colour within a flag sign, which is not permitted, and a blue-bordered local direction sign when the whole assembly looks like it was erected much more recently than 1994. The whole thing is a nasty bodge. Whoever quality checked that?