Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Britain

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Britain »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 17:53
Britain wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:58 Also note the 30 signs on the sideroads along that route don't have the speed limit for the main road (40) on the reverse sides.
Not as bad as a major road in a city
Funny how it's a single sign and off to the side too. It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck a speed camera van further up that road to catch people not realising that the speed limit has changed.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Britain wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:01
Nathan_A_RF wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 17:53
Britain wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:58 Also note the 30 signs on the sideroads along that route don't have the speed limit for the main road (40) on the reverse sides.
Not as bad as a major road in a city
Funny how it's a single sign and off to the side too. It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck a speed camera van further up that road to catch people not realising that the speed limit has changed.
The whole junction is a little weird isn't it? Why does the pedestrian crossing across the A33 eastern arm have signal heads coming off the crossroads?
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

It's a stupid setup with a pedestrian crossing mashed into the north side of the A33. It should be redesigned in association with the S5 cycleway some point in 2021/22 though.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Bfivethousand wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:26The whole junction is a little weird isn't it? Why does the pedestrian crossing across the A33 eastern arm have signal heads coming off the crossroads?
It appears to be an exit stop line allowing the pedestrian crossing to 'walk-with' traffic on Burgess Road. I assume the corner radii has been altered to slow left turning traffic down on the approach to the crossing, but it does look quite messy!

The dual carriageway variant is fairly common, though I don't think they're all that common on single carriageways.
Simon
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 13:16 This is a nice font but I'm not convinced it's the right font for a road sign.
It’s Transport Medium, so it’s the right font if the lettering is light on a dark background, but not where it’s dark on a light background.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Lifting Bridge? There is a weak looking canal bridge further up, but it didn't look like a lifting one to me.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Where the A264 (A281) has been rerouted at Horsham, they have replaced the what would be "local destination" sign, however it contains strategic destinations as well as local.
Main.PNG
Main.PNG (145.61 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
The original main approach sign remains as before, although I hate how the arm on approach has been bent around to the right. Also would of used (M23) instead of (A264) on the Northbound arm.
local1.PNG
local1.PNG (100.09 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
The old "local destination" sign. I'd presume was a like-for-like from a previous blue bordered sign. Apart from the approach arm is bent, it seems okay. However I'd include the route numbers.
local2.PNG
local2.PNG (126 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
The new "local destination" sign. The bend on the approach arm seems okay now, however it has London & Worthing as destinations, with the Industrial estate (local) being replaced with the Primary Destination of Crawley, but Southwater remains on SB. It seems like a bit of a mish mash. Also "Horsham" could become "Town Centre"

There is also a U-turn destination on the next sign for the retail park, which has been omitted from all the other signs.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

"Also would of used (M23) instead of (A264) on the Northbound arm."

<pedant>
Also would HAVE used (M23) ..."
</pedant>
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

So after nearly two years of construction, a new signalised junction has opened on the A38 just south of Droitwich Spa at Copcut. Whilst I don't think the lane markings are particularly sensible for the new junction, I was 'impressed' to see quite how poorly designed the new signage is. For reference, this was a view of the junction pre-roadworks: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.24947 ... 6656?hl=en .

Errors seem to range from minor to glaring. We have a direct replacement for the old advance roundabout sign, an exact copy of the previous layout and dimensions -- I'm not sure why "All through traffic" is required though perhaps someone else can enlighten me. Plus that sign seems to miss the B4090 as a numbered exit, however these I'd call minor issues. It's the signs for the minor unclassified roads that are completely wrong, being green instead of white (bear in mind I don't think the A38 here is primary at all anyway)! Not only that, one of the signs is angled and positioned such that it is hardly visible from the road. The local councillor has helpfully published some photos online here https://www.facebook.com/Cllr.RichardMo ... 7358406903, though I've attached a couple for those without access to facebook. I believe the scheme has not been handed over from the developer to the council yet so the councillor has already requested the poorly-sited sign be moved.

I'm also very confused by the traffic light arrangement, with lights with 3 and 4 aspects seemingly randomly allocated to movements, so I have no idea what the phasing scheme is meant to be. I think Bryn may need to have a lie down after seeing this junction.
Attachments
copcut1.jpg
copcut2.jpg
Last edited by ManomayLR on Wed Sep 30, 2020 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged a similar thread in to this one
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

This sign on the M20 just after Junction 11.

There is no way on Earth that the Channel Tunnel is almost twice as far away from Folkestone as Dover is. :-P

("Folkestone" has since been patched up on this sign, very badly!)
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

mapboy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:54I'm also very confused by the traffic light arrangement, with lights with 3 and 4 aspects seemingly randomly allocated to movements, so I have no idea what the phasing scheme is meant to be.
Just by looking at those photographs, I would suggest that the A38 northbound has an early cut-off right turn indicative arrow, hence the four aspect secondary head for that direction.

I would also imagine the side roads are each given their own stage due to the stagger, so the fourth aspect for those approaches could be a right turn indicative arrow illuminated for the duration of the stage.
Last edited by ManomayLR on Wed Sep 30, 2020 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged a similar thread in to this one
Simon
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
A similar thread to this one was recently created called "How many signs can you get wrong at a single junction?".
The few posts in that thread have been merged with this one, as it doesn't make sense to have two different threads.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 13:00 This sign on the M20 just after Junction 11.

There is no way on Earth that the Channel Tunnel is almost twice as far away from Folkestone as Dover is. :-P

The car seems to have been removed from the Folkestone ferry.
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

I have found the bloody botched speed signs goldmine. Let's take a look at Lesmahagow (henceforth LMG to save time) and the B7078 (former A74).

I won't post links because there are so many confusing features of the speed limit signage on the road. You can reference it in GSV if you wish.

So starting on the B7078 in the South. Travelling n'bound into LMG there are two 60 signs (road is D2) and travelling s'bound there is only a single NSL sign travelling out.

However, it gets more confusing considering on the junction with Balgary Rd there are NSL signs going onto the B7078. So is the limit 70 or 60? Going off Eastwood road there is no NSL despite this road being S2 (so you can't set a special 60 limit and there should be NSL signs), however when entering the B7078 there is an NSL sign (about a 300 m from the junction) and no 60 signs! Furthermore Eastwood road (despite being a seemingly rural road) has street lighting and no repeater signs which indicates a 30 limit?

Continuing north along the B7078 there is the junction with Southview, where the speed limit boundary between a 30mph and a 60 limit (which might be 70?) is indicated by a single 30 sign leaving the D2 and two "TWENTY'S PLENTY" signs with a 20 roundel on the ground. Entering this 30 zone you'd think you're going into a 20 zone and leaving it you'd think you're going into another 30 zone (which based on the signage on some roads is 70!)

The B7078 then continues with 60 repeater signage, which then seemingly stops (street lighting suggesting a 30 zone, but no terminal signs, so ???). However the D2's mystery limit becomes even more confusing when the road which is signed as both 60 and 70 but only the repeater signage for 30 now has terminal signage on a slip road for the northbound carriageway for 50mph (no terminal signage on the main carriageway), and coming the slip roads for the southbound carriageway the signage is 70? Then a short distance north there are two grey backed NSL signs facing in both directions. Even more confusing now!

However the confusion doesn't end quite yet. We reach the junction for the A74(M) and the roundabout exit back into the town has two 30 signs, however there is no corresponding NSL sign on the other way.
jervi

Post by jervi »

pjr10th wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 22:28 I have found the bloody botched speed signs goldmine. Let's take a look at Lesmahagow (henceforth LMG to save time) and the B7078 (former A74).

I won't post links because there are so many confusing features of the speed limit signage on the road. You can reference it in GSV if you wish.

So starting on the B7078 in the South. Travelling n'bound into LMG there are two 60 signs (road is D2) and travelling s'bound there is only a single NSL sign travelling out.

However, it gets more confusing considering on the junction with Balgary Rd there are NSL signs going onto the B7078. So is the limit 70 or 60? Going off Eastwood road there is no NSL despite this road being S2 (so you can't set a special 60 limit and there should be NSL signs), however when entering the B7078 there is an NSL sign (about a 300 m from the junction) and no 60 signs! Furthermore Eastwood road (despite being a seemingly rural road) has street lighting and no repeater signs which indicates a 30 limit?

Continuing north along the B7078 there is the junction with Southview, where the speed limit boundary between a 30mph and a 60 limit (which might be 70?) is indicated by a single 30 sign leaving the D2 and two "TWENTY'S PLENTY" signs with a 20 roundel on the ground. Entering this 30 zone you'd think you're going into a 20 zone and leaving it you'd think you're going into another 30 zone (which based on the signage on some roads is 70!)

The B7078 then continues with 60 repeater signage, which then seemingly stops (street lighting suggesting a 30 zone, but no terminal signs, so ???). However the D2's mystery limit becomes even more confusing when the road which is signed as both 60 and 70 but only the repeater signage for 30 now has terminal signage on a slip road for the northbound carriageway for 50mph (no terminal signage on the main carriageway), and coming the slip roads for the southbound carriageway the signage is 70? Then a short distance north there are two grey backed NSL signs facing in both directions. Even more confusing now!

However the confusion doesn't end quite yet. We reach the junction for the A74(M) and the roundabout exit back into the town has two 30 signs, however there is no corresponding NSL sign on the other way.
It is important to note that most of the GSV imagery is from 2011, many things have changed since then for this road so a lot of this is no longer applicable (although you would be right if it was like this still). Mainly a lot of the road has been de-dualed (correct term?) in 2016.
I've done some researching and I cannot find the new TRO for the road to find out its speed limits, however I'd suspect it to be 40mph from this document (end of 2015). But OSM says 50mph (although that was amended in 2014).
Best place for sat images for here is bing, also I found this video, however doesn't cover the town unfortunately.

Covering what was wrong:
Terminal signs at the southern end would of changed as that bit is now S2, going to D1 around Balgary Road
The junction with Balgary road looks like it has been resurfaced & had new pavements installed, so I'd imagine all new signage so the previous issue would no longer be present.
The junction with Eastwood Lane look as if it has been remarked, with a speed roundel on the surface, so I'd imagine again, speed limits have been fixed.
Can't say for Southview, but now the right turn has been made safer by the removal of one lane (now D1)
The junction with Carlie Road wasn't as wrong as you were saying, on GSV is changes between 2011 & 2016, which I think was confusing you. That 30 repeater, wasn't a repeater it was a badly placed terminal speed limit for the off-slip.
I don't quite see what you mean about the junction with the A74(M), but again you are probably seeing an odd bit of new GSV.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I had to go to Coventry this morning. Approaching M6J3 from the west I noticed there are signs saying "For B4113 follow Coventry (S)".

All good, except there aren't any. There are signs for Coventry A444(S) but not Coventry (S).

None of this seems to have been caught by the Google car yet.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 13:24
Gareth Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 13:00 This sign on the M20 just after Junction 11.

The car was covered on a lot of "Folkestone" signs many years ago when the car ferries stopped running. Later on the whole symbol was removed on some roads, but only the M20 removed the town name as well! I feel sorry for Folkestone on the M20, it only gets mentioned on route confirmation signs when it isn't a forward destination on the junction signs!

Back on topic, this one in Cliffsend, Kent. Notice the lack of space between the "A" and "299", and the fact it is right aligned.

One thing it does get right though is the lack of brackets around "A256", which its friend a third of a mile back does have!
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 01:33
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 13:24

The car was covered on a lot of "Folkestone" signs many years ago when the car ferries stopped running. Later on the whole symbol was removed on some roads, but only the M20 removed the town name as well! I feel sorry for Folkestone on the M20, it only gets mentioned on route confirmation signs when it isn't a forward destination on the junction signs!

Back on topic, this one in Cliffsend, Kent. Notice the lack of space between the "A" and "299", and the fact it is right aligned.

One thing it does get right though is the lack of brackets around "A256", which its friend a third of a mile back does have!
The alignment is allowed - it's to reinforce keeping right. See Chapter 7.

The space between the A and 2, however, is not optional.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

jervi wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 06:31
pjr10th wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 22:28 I have found the bloody botched speed signs goldmine. Let's take a look at Lesmahagow (henceforth LMG to save time) and the B7078 (former A74).

It is important to note that most of the GSV imagery is from 2011, many things have changed since then for this road so a lot of this is no longer applicable (although you would be right if it was like this still). Mainly a lot of the road has been de-dualed (correct term?) in 2016.
I've done some researching and I cannot find the new TRO for the road to find out its speed limits, however I'd suspect it to be 40mph from this document (end of 2015). But OSM says 50mph (although that was amended in 2014).
Best place for sat images for here is bing, also I found this video, however doesn't cover the town unfortunately.

Covering what was wrong:
Terminal signs at the southern end would of changed as that bit is now S2, going to D1 around Balgary Road
The junction with Balgary road looks like it has been resurfaced & had new pavements installed, so I'd imagine all new signage so the previous issue would no longer be present.
The junction with Eastwood Lane look as if it has been remarked, with a speed roundel on the surface, so I'd imagine again, speed limits have been fixed.
Can't say for Southview, but now the right turn has been made safer by the removal of one lane (now D1)
The junction with Carlie Road wasn't as wrong as you were saying, on GSV is changes between 2011 & 2016, which I think was confusing you. That 30 repeater, wasn't a repeater it was a badly placed terminal speed limit for the off-slip.
I don't quite see what you mean about the junction with the A74(M), but again you are probably seeing an odd bit of new GSV.
Yes, I hadn't considered the dates on street view. Oops! Nevertheless in the 2009 street view imagery, it does show an NSL going onto a D2 with 60 repeater signage so that at least is a botch, as well as patchy repeater signage.

Southview does seem a general botch, where the SL Council have tried to implement their 20's plenty zones without using TROs, but it's nevertheless missing 3 of the required 4 signs.

It also doesn't change the odd use of NSL repeater signs and the lack of 60/NSL terminal signage at the supposed 60 zone's northern end.

About the Junction with A74, I'm talking about the roundabout near the Tesco. There's 30 terminal signage but no corresponding higher limit terminal signage.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »