Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Chris5156 »

katie_lou_lou wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 21:04 What on earth... when did the motorway plough through the centre of Milton Keynes?!

On the roundabout at the top of the M1 sliproad you have this: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0579365 ... 384!8i8192

And then just to reinforce the point you get this: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0549487 ... 384!8i8192

All the others are blue too; how hard can it be?
Looks like someone at the shopping centre wanted distinctive signs and their name written in lower case to match their logo, and nobody at MK’s highways department was listened to when they tried to stop it. Looks awful too.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

ellandback wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 13:39 I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. Your link just seems to come back to this page?
Sorry! Got a bit ham-fisted copying the links! The petrol station sign has green over red pricing signs.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 09:00
katie_lou_lou wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 21:04 What on earth... when did the motorway plough through the centre of Milton Keynes?!

On the roundabout at the top of the M1 sliproad you have this: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0579365 ... 384!8i8192

And then just to reinforce the point you get this: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0549487 ... 384!8i8192

Looks like someone at the shopping centre wanted distinctive signs and their name written in lower case to match their logo, and nobody at MK’s highways department was listened to when they tried to stop it. Looks awful too.
Stylisation demands. That sounds a familiar scenario.

Anyone ever wondered why CONKERS is oh so shouty at M42 junction 11?
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 09:00

And it's totally pointless as well. Central Milton Keynes is already signed. :roll: Where else is Central Shopping going to be?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:32
....Where else is Central Shopping going to be?
Calling something Central doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be in the centre of anywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Oh dear. If a STOP sign *must* have a backing board, whether square or round or any other shape, it should stand proud of the board so that it's own shape is obvious.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
TS

Post by TS »

Oh dear. The A350 decides to be non-primary for this white route confirmatory sign, just south of Durweston Bridge:
https://goo.gl/maps/VioLDxsRjEpcnWyw9
TS

Post by TS »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 20:57
Oh dear. If a STOP sign *must* have a backing board, whether square or round or any other shape, it should stand proud of the board so that it's own shape is obvious.
And the direction sign opposite seems surprisingly far away, albeit angled slightly, and would surely be better placed a few yards to the left?

PS Where else do you TOTSO to stay in the same zone? Can't be many places!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

ellandback wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 20:51 Australian traffic lights on the A6 in Milnthorpe.
Or railway signals? :coat:
jervi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 01:46 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.80446 ... 312!8i6656
Ya can't be crossing here, this is only for cycles which I bet 0/year use.
How stupid. Crossing there where there's an island would be safer than crossing all three lanes at once on a bend. :ipunch:
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This random horse prohibition sign replaced a warning sign a few years ago.
solocle

Post by solocle »

No no no no. You're not the A30, not any more... This was taken on the Blackwater non-bypass.

Do particularly enjoy that they can't even decide whether the (trunk) A30 is primary or not!
crb11

Post by crb11 »

We have one just like that in Cambridge. Similarly confused, and insufficient for the junction - not big enough to be visible across the junction, by the time you've seen it you've already had to choose a lane, and it doesn't mention the A14 also 400 yards up the road. (Not that it's alone in that - the sign in a similar location a junction to the west lists B1049(M11), but no A14 there either.)
[real name Colin]
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

This one is a bit of a curiosity.

We seem to have started off with a perfectly good, if somewhat dated, no through road sign which apparently has latterly been the subject of a less than perfect update to show that the side road on the left is also a no through road. I have two issues with this:

1. The amendment is surely unnecessary. If the side road on the left is also a no through road it does not change the fact that the whole caboodle is, collectively, a no through road and indeed this (at the access point from the more significant road) is probably the most appropriate point to impart that information. I don't think it would have been wrong to just have kept the original sign.

2. I invite you to scroll down the road and actually find the side road on the left. (It's OK, I'll wait ...)
TS

Post by TS »

ellandback wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 13:15 This one is a bit of a curiosity.

We seem to have started off with a perfectly good, if somewhat dated, no through road sign which apparently has latterly been the subject of a less than perfect update to show that the side road on the left is also a no through road. I have two issues with this:

1. The amendment is surely unnecessary. If the side road on the left is also a no through road it does not change the fact that the whole caboodle is, collectively, a no through road and indeed this (at the access point from the more significant road) is probably the most appropriate point to impart that information. I don't think it would have been wrong to just have kept the original sign.

2. I invite you to scroll down the road and actually find the side road on the left. (It's OK, I'll wait ...)
I wonder if someone was asked to put the addition on the sign at Clarence Drive, the other side of the railway, where there is indeed a left-turn before the dead end, and he mistakenly went to Clarence Avenue and stuck it there instead?

But I agree with you in (1): no further useful information is imparted by the addition, except the fact that there is a turning along there.
solocle

Post by solocle »

2B263573-025F-4A40-99F8-D711AF064ED8.jpeg
As much as I'd love to have stumbled across a primary B road, that it aint!
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

solocle wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 16:52 2B263573-025F-4A40-99F8-D711AF064ED8.jpeg
As much as I'd love to have stumbled across a primary B road, that it aint!
Not even sure that bit was primary when it was the A46 either.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
dseagull

Post by dseagull »

Spotted on Saturday, A23 turnoff for Bolney/Cowfold.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9891269 ... 312!8i6656
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Not sure if this sign for a shop in France counts as botched but it made me titter when I saw it last week...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

ChrisH wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 14:57 Not sure if this sign for a shop in France counts as botched but it made me titter when I saw it last week...
Is that a direction to Disneyland?
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.