Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by TS »

I spotted this sign on the A422 in Banbury, which has a typo in terms of hyphen position:

Coach drop off-point which should be
Coach drop-off point - it is written correctly on the northbound approach to the same roundabout.

(Meanwhile, not exactly botched, but this is a VERY LARGE replacement sign that has gone in in the last few years on the A162 at Tadcaster! Google StreetView shows us that the junction has been relaid in since 2016; before that it had a more ordinary sized sign!)
TS

Post by TS »

Leaving the popular National Trust property, Stourhead, from their main car park, the motorist receives this (perhaps nonstandard but) useful information:

"Salisbury and London / follow Andover Signs".

Ok, the 's' in 'signs' should arguably be lowercase, but even more important is that, when you get to the end of this lane onto the B3092, you are met with this sign:

Not an 'Andover' in sight!

The error is most straightforwardly remedied by changing "Andover" to "A303" on the first sign.
TS

Post by TS »

Bfivethousand wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 Brackets... :roll:
Pah!

They may be wrong, but at least they do actually go around the words they're intended to!
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Just found this. Not necessarily a botched sign than a missing one. Clearly, cyclists should be allowed past here by the road markings but the no vehicles signs with no exceptions mean legally cyclists can't ride through here. Going the other way is a blue cycle sign so that's fine. I don't think the blue patch on the pole holds any legal weight although I doubt any police officer would charge a cyclist for cycling through here given the road markings. Edit: After further research, I don't think these signs really mean anything without a plate underneath which says no vehicles. I'm also not sure about having a give way situation in the middle of an intersection.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

AlexBr967 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 17:01 Just found this. Not necessarily a botched sign than a missing one. Clearly, cyclists should be allowed past here by the road markings but the no vehicles signs with no exceptions mean legally cyclists can't ride through here. Going the other way is a blue cycle sign so that's fine. I don't think the blue patch on the pole holds any legal weight although I doubt any police officer would charge a cyclist for cycling through here given the road markings. Edit: After further research, I don't think these signs really mean anything without a plate underneath which says no vehicles. I'm also not sure about having a give way situation in the middle of an intersection.
Unplated "No vehicles" signs are rare, but can be found in various places.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

TS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 13:19 (Meanwhile, not exactly botched, but this is a VERY LARGE replacement sign that has gone in in the last few years on the A162 at Tadcaster! Google StreetView shows us that the junction has been relaid in since 2016; before that it had a more ordinary sized sign!)
I'd say that is botched, or at least pointless. By the time you can see that sign, you're already committed to a turning direction. So if you're in the wrong lane, the sign will tell you so (in giant letters), but there's nothing you can do about it!

In the 2016 layout, it's this sign that actually gives you the choice of direction (and it's rather late even so). In the new layout, I'm assuming that these signs actually tell you which lane you want, though the Google car hasn't been anywhere you can see the front from.
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Glen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:52
Unbreakify wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 15:10 Does this one count?
That's correct as it's on the A86. The B9152 starts at the bottom of the opposite link onto the A9.
I've seen other signs use a white patching instead of it in yellow.
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

This one, right beside the northern ireland bother.
Why is the other side so small but the other one so BIG.
Attachments
Northern_Ireland.PNG
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Unbreakify wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 07:33 This one, right beside the northern ireland bother.
Though the previous one was much more horrible..
Attachments
OLD.PNG
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Unbreakify wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 07:33 This one, right beside the northern ireland bother.
It's not small, it's ... FAR AWAY! :D :D
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

TS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 13:19 I spotted this sign on the A422 in Banbury, which has a typo in terms of hyphen position:
Is spiceball some new-fangled sport for people with too much thyme on their hands or for wannabe sports stars?
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 09:33
It's not small, it's ... FAR AWAY! :D :D

tree.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

This one on the A4106. The right hand side is absolutely fine, but the left hand side - oh dear.

No brackets around "M4" despite them being there on the other side of the sign, and no space between the "A" and "48"...
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 13:17
TS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 13:19 I spotted this sign on the A422 in Banbury, which has a typo in terms of hyphen position:
Is spiceball some new-fangled sport for people with too much thyme on their hands or for wannabe sports stars?
I believe it is when posh people get together, dressed up to the nines, to waltz along to "2 Become 1". :-D
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Dear oh dear..... This was only put up recently. Where do you start?

Some semblance of sanity is restored a bit further along, but I'm not sure if this is quite right either
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

skiddaw05 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 00:35 Dear oh dear..... This was only put up recently. Where do you start?
A set of bolt cutters and a trip to a recycling plant would probably be the best place to start. What an absolute mess.
Some semblance of sanity is restored a bit further along, but I'm not sure if this is quite right either
The facts are right but the design isn't - the duplicated destinations could just be written once across the top of the sign, with a horizontal line below to span them across both lanes. It would tidy up the design and make it far easier to read and assimilate.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Thankfully this has now been replaced.
Attachments
sign.jpg
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

North Yorkshire County Council, tut tut.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.43763 ... 8192?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.44652 ... 8192?hl=en

Neither are in TSRGD. They aren't 818.5, nor can a 523.1 have all the blue and white stuff around it. I wonder if they bothered to get them authorised - and why do I think I know the answer to that?

The 524.1 at the bottom of the hill is better, if somewhat in need of replacement:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.44806 ... 8192?hl=en
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 21:54 North Yorkshire County Council, tut tut.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.43763 ... 8192?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.44652 ... 8192?hl=en

Neither are in TSRGD. They aren't 818.5, nor can a 523.1 have all the blue and white stuff around it. I wonder if they bothered to get them authorised - and why do I think I know the answer to that?
If you don't like those, you're pretty unlikely to like this one too.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

OKAY!

Odd, and I'm sure old 'P'

I'm sure this one's been on before, because of its prominence and location, but this could really do with a replacement.

Not a botch, but is there a way that this sign could make a more efficient use of space?

Not only has this sign been here for a decade, but it's a little confused!

I-spy one of the cardinal sins.

Speaking of cardinal sins...