Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by A303Chris »

New form of ADS being used in Surrey now. It's not rocket science the TSRGD

While this one, for the same junction, different approach and picking up recent threads, the weight limit seems to big
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:39 New form of ADS being used in Surrey now. It's not rocket science the TSRGD

While this one, for the same junction, different approach and picking up recent threads, the weight limit seems to big
Not at all, they're suggesting you can use the un-fenced green area as filter lanes
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

What hope is there when the HE can't even replace the sign with the right number. A332, yes starts about 12 miles north of here after going along the A322
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

North Yorkshire CC have acquired a penchant for putting out the "Loose chippings" warning signs – along with the "max speed 20" and "no road markings" signs – about a week before they start doing any work on resurfacing ... which causes lots of confusion for the first couple of days as drivers are looking out for the roadworks that don't exist, and then more confusion again a week later as drivers have by then stopped paying attention to the signs only to be confronted by freshly sprayed chippings.
drm567

Post by drm567 »

Before I report this bollard to Herts Highways can someone reassure me that it is wrong. Should it be plain faced rather than a diag 611? The green aspects of the signals are arrows. [Poor quality looking more or less directly into the sun but hopefully clear enough].
Aerodrome Way-Ashfields wrong sign_ 2019_0502_181248.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

drm567 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 17:25 Before I report this bollard to Herts Highways can someone reassure me that it is wrong. Should it be plain faced rather than a diag 611? The green aspects of the signals are arrows. [Poor quality looking more or less directly into the sun but hopefully clear enough].
Yes, absolutely. It's a much-misused sign, but its correct meaning is "pass either side to reach same destination". If the roads either side take you to different destinations it's unequivocally wrong.
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

So according to this sign, it's the B4171 to the left, but the B4176 to the right? Of course it the B4176 in both directions. Seen today at Himley in South Staffs.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.52009 ... 6656?hl=en
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 18:20
drm567 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 17:25 Before I report this bollard to Herts Highways can someone reassure me that it is wrong. Should it be plain faced rather than a diag 611? The green aspects of the signals are arrows. [Poor quality looking more or less directly into the sun but hopefully clear enough].
Yes, absolutely. It's a much-misused sign, but its correct meaning is "pass either side to reach same destination". If the roads either side take you to different destinations it's unequivocally wrong.
Indeed, just ripping off the blue circle with the arrows on is right.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

I'm surprised these are still wrong: https://goo.gl/maps/of9aHzW7kmkTGeQn9

1. It's the A1(M) not the A1, and (though it was later extended to the M62) was still motorway when it was built.

2. The straight-ahead direction is the M1 not leading to it, so the brackets aren't needed either.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

drm567 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 17:25 Before I report this bollard to Herts Highways can someone reassure me that it is wrong. Should it be plain faced rather than a diag 611? The green aspects of the signals are arrows. [Poor quality looking more or less directly into the sun but hopefully clear enough].Aerodrome Way-Ashfields wrong sign_ 2019_0502_181248.jpg
I wouldn't be too optimistic as they don't fix signs unless they are likely to be hurt financially from signs in situ.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Can someone explain what this sign actually means?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

ForestChav wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 22:20I'm surprised these are still wrong: https://goo.gl/maps/of9aHzW7kmkTGeQn9

1. It's the A1(M) not the A1, and (though it was later extended to the M62) was still motorway when it was built.

2. The straight-ahead direction is the M1 not leading to it, so the brackets aren't needed either.
I don't think it's the first time these have appeared in this thread. The brackets are absurd; I don't personally recall this but I remember it being pointed out that, as originally made, the brackets were around "A1", not "M1". A complaint was evidently made that the brackets around "A1" were incorrect, but instead of just removing them, they were moved to "M1" instead. Daft.

It should be "A1(M)" and "M1", as you point out, but Highways England won't be able to directly intervene here because it's part of a DBFO, and presumably any changes to existing installations, outside that foreseen in the original contract, will be charged back to them at special rates. Northbound at the A64, the forward signs also say "A1", and presumably for the same reason.
vlad wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 20:53Can someone explain what this sign actually means?
It means there's someone working for Manchester City Council's highways department who doesn't know what an advance sign for a bus gate should look like...!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Skye wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 23:19
drm567 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 17:25 Before I report this bollard to Herts Highways can someone reassure me that it is wrong. Should it be plain faced rather than a diag 611? The green aspects of the signals are arrows. [Poor quality looking more or less directly into the sun but hopefully clear enough].Aerodrome Way-Ashfields wrong sign_ 2019_0502_181248.jpg
I wouldn't be too optimistic as they don't fix signs unless they are likely to be hurt financially from signs in situ.
Indeed, I reported a "left bend ahead" sign as being wrong, as the road actually turned right. They responded essentially that they don't give a stuff and as it was a new sign didn't have any intention to correct it.

Clearly if they'd got their contracts right and someone had installed the wrong sign, then they should be able to get them to fix it. Or if they've had people specify the wrong signs in the wrong place, then they should hold them to account.

If they've also no intention of getting the signage right, why do they even bother putting them up at all?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

c2R wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 23:05
Indeed, I reported a "left bend ahead" sign as being wrong, as the road actually turned right. They responded essentially that they don't give a stuff and as it was a new sign didn't have any intention to correct it.

Clearly if they'd got their contracts right and someone had installed the wrong sign, then they should be able to get them to fix it. Or if they've had people specify the wrong signs in the wrong place, then they should hold them to account.

If they've also no intention of getting the signage right, why do they even bother putting them up at all?
No one wants to gain a reputation for making someone else do more work than they would need to if nothing was reported. It's a race to the bottom.
drm567

Post by drm567 »

I've had the, slightly patronising, automatic email reply. I won't hold my breath for a follow-up!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 22:24
ForestChav wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 22:20I'm surprised these are still wrong: https://goo.gl/maps/of9aHzW7kmkTGeQn9

I don't think it's the first time these have appeared in this thread. The brackets are absurd; I don't personally recall this but I remember it being pointed out that, as originally made, the brackets were around "A1", not "M1". A complaint was evidently made that the brackets around "A1" were incorrect, but instead of just removing them, they were moved to "M1" instead. Daft.

It should be "A1(M)" and "M1", as you point out, but Highways England won't be able to directly intervene here because it's part of a DBFO, and presumably any changes to existing installations, outside that foreseen in the original contract, will be charged back to them at special rates. Northbound at the A64, the forward signs also say "A1", and presumably for the same reason.
vlad wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 20:53Can someone explain what this sign actually means?
It means there's someone working for Manchester City Council's highways department who doesn't know what an advance sign for a bus gate should look like...!
These were put up as temporary signs and unsurprisingly they never came back down. There are actual ADS telling you the restriction exists.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
TS

Post by TS »

This surely isn't the correct way to signpost the M40 from the M1, is it?
Surely it should be regular font or at the very least in brackets?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.21201 ... 384!8i8192
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

TS wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:32 This surely isn't the correct way to signpost the M40 from the M1, is it?

Definitely brackets.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

TS wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:32 This surely isn't the correct way to signpost the M40 from the M1, is it?

See also the road numbers in the wrong font for the ahead destinations, and badly aligned, though points are at least awarded for putting brackets around "A45".
vlad

Post by vlad »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 22:24
That bit was obvious of course.... :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath