Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by nowster »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 14:22
nowster wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 14:15 How about this one https://goo.gl/maps/rJmvSzDXDnz between the GM Police HQ and the North Manchester Division Police Station?
The 15mph speed limit? Is it actually a private road?
Not at all. The road off the squareabout at the back is, but both Northampton Road and The Gateway are public.
TS

Post by TS »

Big L wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:06 Steep hill upwards. Granted, there is a 16% climb some distance forwards, after a pretty steep drop, but it has its own sign. So have Bath just used the wrong sign here? There was another similar one elsewhere locally, but I can't find it at the moment.
This one is nearly 1-in-3, can only be uphill as we're on the beach, and the wrong sign has definitely been used.................

Babbacombe beach
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

For some reason, it looks 'right'. Possibly because it's located 'wrong-side' ?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I know we have done Moto Services' signs to death on here, but leaving aside matters of wrong shapes etc. Doncaster North seem to have some confusion about which side of the road traffic is going to be on.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
hburden

Post by hburden »

image1 (2).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
This surely isn't regulation? Outside my university building. Ironically a school of town planning.

edit: poor quality image but it has a speed limit and speed bump warning
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

That's quite a hill. :twisted:
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Big L wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 09:30 I know we have done Moto Services' signs to death on here, but leaving aside matters of wrong shapes etc. Doncaster North seem to have some confusion about which side of the road traffic is going to be on.
Isn't the requirement there to stop until someone rotates the sign?

But let's not be silly, their intention is clearly to say "stop driving on the right" :-D
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

TS wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 13:50
Big L wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:06 Steep hill upwards. Granted, there is a 16% climb some distance forwards, after a pretty steep drop, but it has its own sign. So have Bath just used the wrong sign here? There was another similar one elsewhere locally, but I can't find it at the moment.
This one is nearly 1-in-3, can only be uphill as we're on the beach, and the wrong sign has definitely been used.................

Babbacombe beach
This one is on my patch.

The B5036 descends from this junction towards Cromford and the A6. The steep upward hill triangle is therefore incorrect and should be altered, however it would look quite counter-intuitive and potentially misleading if it were to be replaced with the "correct" downhill triangle.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Euan

Post by Euan »

Bfivethousand wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:43

Babbacombe beach
This one is on my patch.

The B5036 descends from this junction towards Cromford and the A6. The steep upward hill triangle is therefore incorrect and should be altered, however it would look quite counter-intuitive and potentially misleading if it were to be replaced with the "correct" downhill triangle.
The way I am reading the sign is as a steep slope to the left dropping away from the junction, which is correct. But you are right, it could be interpreted incorrectly the other way.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Babbacombe beach
There's a botch at the other end of the road too - should surely be "FOR 400 yds", not "400 yds"?
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

This sign is <2 years old and yet someone has tried to conform to pre-1994 regs. Also, there's no need for a backing board.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I'm just going to leave this here and let people come to their own conclusions. Be warned.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

vlad wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 20:40 I'm just going to leave this here and let people come to their own conclusions. Be warned.
Gaaaaaah! My eyes!
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 14:21
There's a botch at the other end of the road too - should surely be "FOR 400 yds", not "400 yds"?
THIS is one of my pet hates.
The sign means 'Double Bend-First to Left', and IF there is a double bend of that description 400 yds ahead, then the sign is correct.
Over and over again, I see this sign (and its reversed form) with a plate saying 'for 2 miles' or some such distance.
HOW can you have a 'double bend, first to left', for two miles?
Yesterday, in the Yorkshire Dales, I spotted a very battered example of the ACTUAL sign meaning 'series of bends', the first I've seen for YONKS. Why is everyone using an incorrect sign in place of this, to the extent that the real one is almost forgotten?
Last edited by Brigham on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... oad_layout

The "Z" Series of bends sign was phased out in 1975.

From the SABRE Wiki: Defunct Traffic Signs#Change in road layout :

Defunct Traffic Signs' are those which are no longer prescribed by the TSRGD and therefore should no longer be erected on the public highway.

A sign can be withdrawn from the prescribed drawings list for several reasons;

• The sign no longer reflects a possible situation
  • The sign is unclear and confusing for road users
  • The sign has been replaced by a new design

Signs that are withdrawn from the TSRGD are often granted savings which enable highway authorities

... Read More
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Euan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 23:43
Bfivethousand wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:43
TS wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 13:50 This one is nearly 1-in-3, can only be uphill as we're on the beach, and the wrong sign has definitely been used.................

Babbacombe beach
This one is on my patch.

The way I am reading the sign is as a steep slope to the left dropping away from the junction, which is correct. But you are right, it could be interpreted incorrectly the other way.
Shouldn't really be using such a sign on a DS anyway. Also, some serious backing board jobs further along...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

nowster wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... oad_layout

The "Z" Series of bends sign was phased out in 1975.
I am trying to convince people to bring it back... there are enough surviving examples that it could be said it never truly went away :twisted:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck

From the SABRE Wiki: Defunct Traffic Signs#Change in road layout :

Defunct Traffic Signs' are those which are no longer prescribed by the TSRGD and therefore should no longer be erected on the public highway.

A sign can be withdrawn from the prescribed drawings list for several reasons;

• The sign no longer reflects a possible situation
  • The sign is unclear and confusing for road users
  • The sign has been replaced by a new design

Signs that are withdrawn from the TSRGD are often granted savings which enable highway authorities

... Read More
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

The 'Series of Bends' sign needs to be re-introduced AT ONCE.
It does not qualify to be 'phased-out' under any of the reasons given:

'The sign no longer reflects a possible situation'. Yes it does.

'The sign is unclear and confusing for road users'. No it isn't.

'The sign has been replaced by a new design'. No it hasn't.

In fact, there are so many 'possible situations' requiring this sign, that a different sign (which looks a bit like it), has been incorrectly used as a substitute for it, on a serial basis.
And THAT is 'unclear and confusing for road users'.
James

Post by James »

Conway is still a thing in Chester :)
https://goo.gl/maps/dMXcJyiq9M72

The other signs on the junction do get it right
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

James wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 Conway is still a thing in Chester :)
https://goo.gl/maps/dMXcJyiq9M72

The other signs on the junction do get it right
Isn't Chester in England?
In which case the first sign is surely correct?
The one after it has the Welsh spelling, for some reason.